NEWBIE INTRO - Monroy Wines

Hello Berserkers, my name is Adolfo and I own Monroy Wines. I only have one wine to offer to this marvelous BD12 frenzy: a 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon from Chalk Hill.

I’m also the associate winemaker at Benovia. I get to make some lovely pinot and chardonnay here, with the bonus that I can personally do all the work on my wines at this facility.

Although my winemaking career prior to Benovia was mostly in making plush and opulent wines from Napa Valley, my personal tastes go towards floral and savory cabernet sauvignon. I source fruit from higher altitudes in the Chalk Hill AVA, and let the wine showcase its natural acidity, tension, and aromatics of lavender, violets, and cedar. The mouthfeel picks up density from barrel fermentation and gives a touch of riper style without bringing heat.

A few highlights from my background are spending four years at Eisele Vineyard, with two years each under the Araujo’s and Chateau Latour, Checkerboard on Diamond Mountain, Pahlmeyer, and now very happily here in the Russian River with Benovia. There was a period of time where my father and I made bootleg wine as expats in Saudi Arabia, but I’ve gone legitimate now.

Thanks for looking! You can read more about me and Monroy Wines at our website: www.monroywines.com, or see a smattering of what I’m drinking on IG at #monroywines.

Drink well everyone! [cheers.gif]

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=78143
https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=78142

Welcome!

1 Like

Welcome!

1 Like

Bump for my buddy Adolfo! We first met at Eisele where I was a stagiaire for a vintage. He was kind enough to take time answering all my questions about winemaking and to treat me as a peer. Fast-forward many years and he is now in Sonoma County making killer Pinot Noir and Chardonnay by the day and Cabernet on the side for his personal label.

Having had the pleasure of tasting his Cabernet from barrel and bottle on many occasions, I can say that anyone interested in neo-classically styled wine is in for a treat. The wines are dense, fresh, structured, have solid fruit, whilst being respectful. Although Adolfo worked at some Napa powerhouses, his wines show restraint, they are not over the top alcohol bombs. Last 2018 I opened drunk beautifully over three nights. For domestic Cabernet I like to drink Ridge, Forman, and Togni. I find Monroy to be in the same vein stylistically. Buy with confidence.

Damn you, David, for increasing the temptation to an unbearable level by invoking the magic words “Ridge, Forman, and Togni.” The only thing that could make it harder to resist this offer would be if you added Patrick Campbell to the mix.

Thanks for the plug David. Super thrilled that you’re enjoying the wines!