**EXTENDED** Colette & Marie-Paule Willamette Valley Pinot Noir—>Up to 40% + Free Shipping

The BD response to our offers was tremendous and humbling. (Ran out of mailing supplies and had to travel to the wholesaler yesterday! ) I’ve received inquiries to keep this going so here goes! Thanks everyone!
Sun Break Wines
Cortell-Rose Vineyard, Eola-Amity Hills AVA, Willamette Valley, Oregon

Two premium quality, small batch, single-vineyard Pinot Noirs are on offer this year. The Pinots are wonderfully complex wines with great flavor intensity. Organic practices grapes, no sulfites added. They are reasonably priced ($32 retail) and we are offering 15% to 40% discounts with free shipping. Full third-party tasting notes are provided below.

2018 Marie-Paule Pinot Noir, 93pts**/Editors’ Choice** (WE) (50/50% destemmed/whole cluster)—$32 retail, see tasting notes below. 167 cases produced, only 76 remain.

2019 Colette Pinot Noir, not yet “scored” but early reviews are AMAZING and provided below.
(The 2018 vintage sold out in 10 months and received 94pts, (Wine Enthusiast, P Gregutt) 100% destemmed)—$32 retail, see tasting notes below. 238 cases produced, only 160 remain.

Offer #1: 40% discount and free shipping on orders of 24+ bottles, mix and match as desired. Coupon code “BD40” at our online shop: Shop - Sun Break Wine and Cider
Offer #2: 30% discount and free shipping on orders of 12-24 bottles, mix and match as desired. Coupon code “BD30” at our online shop: Shop - Sun Break Wine and Cider
Offer #3: 20% discount and free shipping on orders of 6-12 bottles, mix and match as desired. Coupon code “BD20” at our online shop: Shop - Sun Break Wine and Cider
Offer #4: $55 for a 2-bottle trial pack, one of each Pinot, includes shipping. Coupon code “BD2PACK” at our online shop: Shop - Sun Break Wine and Cider

Please Note! For Willamette Valley orders, please email me at dpatte62@gmail.com for local delivery and offline payment. Similarly, for California and other states that our online shipping partner does not cover, please email me at dpatte62@gmail.com . Thanks for your patience. (*Our online shipper covers the following States: AK, AZ, CO, DC, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, LA, MA, MA, MD, ME, MN, MO, NC, ND, NE, NH, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV, WY)

2019 Colette Pinot Noir Tasting Notes
“Ripe, round, fulsome fruit flavors: huckleberries, red currants and pie cherries. Notes of rose petal. Velvety tannins provide a luscious and dynamic yet soft, mouthfeel. Vibrates with tingly, vibrant spices – green peppercorn and clove – that reverberate from first sip to long-lasting finish. I prefer the 2019 vintage to the 94pt 2018 vintage.” Peter Szymczak, Oregon Wine Press wine critic, Nov. 2020

“Dried cherry and red currant on the nose. Overripe raspberry with a hint of Saigon cinnamon on the palate. Cranberry finish. Insanely bright with shining acidity.” Alex Neely, Libertine Wines, Oct 2020

2018 Marie-Paule Pinot Noir Tasting Notes
“This cuvée was half fermented with whole clusters. It’s a precise, focused wine—the blackberry and black cherry fruit has a gentle squirt of lemony acidity. It’s lively and clean, with no sulfites added, and a lovely showcase for this outstanding vineyard.” 93pts., Editors’ Choice, P. Gregutt, Wine Enthusiast, Oct 2020

“Moderately dark garnet color in the glass. Delicate aromas of blackberry, black currant and sweet tobacco. Well-endowed with lavish, dark fruits that offer more pop and finishing length than that found in the Colette bottling. There is a little more, but not intrusive, tannic spine evident (than the Colette).” 91 pts., Rusty Gaffney, Prince of Pinot, Nov 2020

Both Wines: We guarantee no volatile acidity/ethyl acetate notes. No Brettanomyces-caused volatile phenol compounds. No “reductive” matchstick sulfur and/or off-putting sulfide notes. No sulfites added but sterile filtered via crossflow to keep the funk out!

Delivery and shipping notes (again): For Willamette Valley orders please contact me and we can handle the transaction offline. For shipping to most States,* use our website’s VinoShipper shop: Shop - Sun Break Wine and Cider For California and other States that on not available via VinoShipper, contact me and we can make other arrangements! (*AK, AZ, CO, DC, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, LA, MA, MA, MD, ME, MN, MO, NC, ND, NE, NH, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV, WY)

Press
Wine Enthusiast: https://www.winemag.com/?s=sun+break&search_type=all
Prince of Pinot feature article: Sun Break Wines: Unique Value-Priced Oregon Pinot Noir | The PinotFile: Volume 12, Issue 10
Oregon Wine Press Magazine feature article: Davids vs. Goliath

Thanks!

David Patte, owner, wine maker
Sun Break Wine and Cider
(541) 745-3016 (mobile)
dpatte62@gmail.com

Instagram: @SunBreakWC #SunBreakWine
We are a One Percent for the Planet member, donating 1% of our sales to environmental projects and carbon offsets. We are a partner winery with the Oregon Wine LAB (Local Artisan Brands), the Grand Reserve wine lovers credit card and the KindAlternatives.com sustainable shopping network

Background
We produce three distinct Pinot Noir wines from the Cortell-Rose Vineyard located in the Eola-Amity Hills across the road from Brooks Estate. Sun Break Wines focuses on one vineyard so we can obtain 5 Pinot Noir clones and we vinify using three distinct styles: Colette is 100% destemmed, Marie-Paule is 50% de-stemmed/50% whole cluster, and Ariane is 100% whole cluster (sold out).

The vineyard is co-owned and managed with organic practices by Jessica Cortell who farms several top-tier organic vineyards such as Seven Springs, Medici and Antica Terra. Jessica chose this vineyard as her own for its location on volcanic Jory soils at 525’-680’ elevation and the hallmark cool temperatures of the Eola-Amity Hills due in large part to the winds from the Van Duzer corridor.

Our wines feature intense and lavish fruit with naturally high acidity working in harmony. The wines are all produced with no added sulfites, but cross-flow filtered to ensure stability and aging potential without spoilage. (Some naturally-occurring sulfites may be present.)

Best of all, each wine is retail priced at $32. The small production and low price led those in the know to snap up these wines quickly and the 2018 Colette and 2018 Ariane are sold out. The 2018 Marie-Paule is still available because we produced twice as much compared to the other two. More grape tonnage was acquired for the 2019 and 2020 vintages to increase production to 600 cases and 750 cases, respectively.

I love the personal connection to my wines and working at a scale that allows attention to detail. I have no employees except some part-time help during sorting and pressing at harvest. It’s fun and very rewarding to track the evolution of the wines every couple of weeks as I top barrels, and then work on the assemblage of the cuvées before bottling.

I learned the craft and science of vinification through harvest internships with numerous Oregon wineries and wine makers including Clay Pigeon Wines, Anderson Family Vineyard and Winery, Lumos Wine Company, Dominio IV Wines, Native Flora Wine, and Mylan Wines. This was supplemented with classes at the Chemeketa Wine Studies Program, and a lifetime of tasting wine and cider in the U.S. and France, and perhaps most importantly, absorbing the stories, lessons and experiences from hundreds and hundreds of winemakers from France and the U.S. (I am of French origin, grew up in both countries and became a U.S. citizen after graduate school…).

Finally, I want to highlight that we also make premium quality, dry heritage cider and there’s lots more information about that on our website. It all started because we moved to a property with heritage apple trees and I was practicing sparkling wine techniques using apple juice…. Now we produce about 1,250 cases of heritage cider per year mostly for Oregon distribution. (Sorry but these are not covered in the BD sale because it is financially impossible to provide free shipping for a product that retails for $8!)

I have tried the 2018 Colette, and thought it was really good. It sounds like the 2019 may be even better.

With the free shipping and discounts offered, these will be a great value. Looking forward to buying!

EDIT: My bad, I tried the 2019 (not the 2018). Excellent wine and a great value; I am in for a case!

1 Like

Grabbed some PN and cider. Excited to try these. Thanks David!

Thanks, Rodrigo!

FYI the vineyard is organic practices, but not certified organic, so this is not on the label. Same with the apples— many are no-spray hand-picked by me (5,000+ pounds in 2020!) and the Wombat Flats orchard is organic practices as well.

Thanks Mark! “Premium wines without the premium price” is my motto champagne.gif

In case it helps others: we drank the 2018 [edit: it was the 2019, sorry!] over two nights. On pop and pour, it was bursting with red jammy fruit flavors. With a little more time in the glass, the fruit was really well integrated with soft tannins, modest alcohol and pleasant acidity. On the second night, more of the same: so well integrated, and delicious!

1 Like

David makes wine in my facility, is a GREAT guy and is making some nice wines that are getting noticed. His ciders are fantastic too!

1 Like

Thanks for the offer David. Just put my order in!

1 Like

I highly recommend these wines. They are delicious and well made.

1 Like

Thanks Leonard! And a big thank you for sharing with your NC wine club and spreading the word. That was a fun Zoom session!

Email sent for a 6pk to CA!

1 Like

Thanks, John! Sorry for the extra step needed for Cali!

Hello everyone, Mark and I are pretty sure his Colette tasting notes (above) are the 2019 vintage (not 2018 as stated) but he will double check tonight : ) Stay tuned!

Thanks Vincent! Such an honor to be working with you, Saul (Championship Bottle) and Alex (Libertine). Fun to be in a co-op space learning and having fun with everyone! And how crazy is it for me that the winery is on the same road, very close to my vineyard source, Cortell-Rose? Feeling pretty lucky!

Got it, thanks! You will love these Pinots. Hmmm… I had planned to start shipping this afternoon but it’s snowing-- now in a serious way (this is a rare event the Willamette valley!). Stay tuned!

Tried to purchase offer 4 but got the following error from VinoShipper at checkout:
Sun Break Wine and Cider has a minimum order of 3 for carrier shipments.

1 Like

Let me check on this…

Thanks for your help, David, and if the worst thing that happens to me today is that I bought 6 PNs from you instead of the 2Pack, then I’ll be doing OK! First BD for me!

Okay, I think it’s fixed. You’ll need to refresh the webpage (start a new cart I would imagine— but maybe not). Sorry for the inconvenience and for trying these Pinots. You will love them. A great wine is great at all stages— these are delicious now and the sky is the limit on their aging potential. Thanks!

Honestly, you will be very sad to only have one of each of these Pinots. Go for it! [cheers.gif]