NEWBIE INTRO Zeitgeist Cellars

Hello Berserkers,

We have been making Zeitgeist since 2005, but are new to BD!

We have been in Napa for over 20 years making wine in various capacities and at numerous wineries. And we have had the great fortune to have worked with incredible mentors, friends, and just downright excellent people.

Zeitgeist Cellars if focused on Cabernet Sauvignon. We also dabble with aromatic whites, especially a few that were once widely planted in CA, but have been nearly pushed to extinction (in CA). The whites have proven to be a fun drink after making Cabernet all day.

Wine Goals

We have always tried to make Cabernet that embraces the growing conditions of California, while also paying homage to the great wines of Bordeaux. It can be a tightrope act for sure. And too much on either side of this equation can make for wines that are just simply extreme. We aim for complexity as well as precision. And we enjoy wines that will age gracefully in the cellar.

We currently work with the Lewelling Vineyard in St Helena, the Sleeping Lady Vineyard in Yountville for both Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc, Oakville Station in the heart of Oakville and more recently the Rafael Vineyard in Napa. We make limited amounts of vineyard designate cabernets, and our Napa Cabernet is a blend of all of these vineyards.

About Jennifer

Jen grew up in San Diego county and headed to Cal Poly where she intended to study large animal veterinary science. After taking a horticulture class (and falling in with some Napa natives) she changed course and dove headfirst into agriculture and fruit science. She absolutely sees winemaking as an expression of the vineyard and is always the first one out of the house during the growing season to check on vineyards and meet with vineyard managers.

In Napa, she made the Spottswoode Estate Wines from 2006 through 2010 and currently makes Pahlmeyer, Arrow&Branch and Ziata. Jen has also worked in the CA’s central Coast and in Rioja, Spain.

About Mark

I never had a decent wine until college, when I learned that the waiters in Boston’s North End didn’t really care much about checking ID’s. Soon after that, I was able to spend some time in Italy searching for wines that were both delicious and easy on the wallet. I have worked with Bordeaux varietals in Hawke’s Bay, NZ, and currently make Cabernet for Anomaly Vineyards, Unwritten and am a founder of Band of Vintners.

1918382_1091086656636_6876868_Mark by Scott.jpg
In addition to making wine, we have three wonderful daughters that keep us grounded and remind us that it’s okay if the house is a little messy.

Jennifer Williams and Mark Porembski

First had this at Press and the QPR was great. Looking forward to this offer.

1 Like

I’ll definitely need to check this out for my wife - sounds spot on

1 Like

Heard great things about Zeitgeist- super excited they are participating in BD.

1 Like

YES!! So excited to see this. Mark and Jen are amazing winemakers, and even better people. And neighbors. (full disclosure, we live on the same street [cheers.gif] )
Long before Di Costanzo even existed, I sold Zeitgeist Wines at my previous job, and I absolutely loved introducing people to these amazing wines. No brainer. Welcome to BD, Mark & Jen!

2 Likes

Welcome Mark and Jen!

I can personally attest to these wines, having had several vintages of them.

The Sleeping Lady and The Grove are especially tasty bottlings, and the Napa blend packs a serious QPR.

Looking forward to this offer, cheers!

1 Like

These are great wines.

1 Like

Thank you, Frank----we are seriously looking forward to the day when Press can re-open in a proper fashion. That place is wine a Mecca here in the valley and on any given night stunning wines get opened there. They have always had incredible somms, and I’m sure that the new team, Post-Covid will be top notch.

Erin, You are too kind!

[thankyou.gif] for many years of friendship and mentorship and being a such a positive and professional ambassador of wine! I can’t wait to see the Di Constanzo BD12 offer. If I order, can you deliver in a Red Flyer Wagon? [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Brian—great to see you on-line here. Does not make up for tasting wine in Napa of course. Excited to see what you think of the BD12 offer. Only a few days to wait!