JFK >> Paris . . .

I know first world problems . . .

Fly AA to Heathrow connecting to Paris on the new 777 in first class
Or JFK direct to CDG on an old 767 in business

Redeye.
Leaning towards a Heathrow connection on the better plane.

Is that silly?

Patrick

I would actually vote for the new AA biz product on their 777 JFK-LHR. Not sure if you are paying $ or miles but I don’t really see the added benefit of AA first over AA biz on this route.

It is a short flight but if you do plan on trying to sleep avoid the angled seats on the 767 whenever possible

I would go direct as I hate connections (too many opportunities for bad things to happen). I would keep any First Class chances for a long-haul flight.

EWR to Orly on OpenSkies

also, wouldn’t the LHR connection come with massive taxes?

i’d sooner go direct - it’s a really short flight to London from JFK.

Not even close. Always take the non-stop. Especially that Heathrow connection, what a pain, and likely delays.

I fly this itinerary at least once a year. Unless I stay in London for a few days, I prefer the nonstop for the reasons Michel and Alan state. From LA, however, I fly on the 777 and connect at LHW to BA to Orly or CDG.

Thank you.
I appreciate the input.

A good number of years back I was unable to get anything direct for miles and so opted for first class through Heathrow (using United miles as I recall but don’t remember the airlines). Was prepared for a horrible connection, a change in terminal and lots of wasted time, BUT, on arrival they loaded the first class passengers onto a bus and drove us across the airport to the terminal we had to connect through. What I thought would take 1-2hrs took 20 minutes. Not sure if all airlines do that for first class or if that was an aberration at that time but I was surprised and impressed by that. I guess if I was paying the huge bucks for the ticket perhaps I would have expected it.

Any airlines do that now?

I just flew on AA from Chicago to London business - old 777 out and 767 back. Wasn’t happy that AA doesn’t fly any of their new planes on that route (would have had to be JFK), but overall it wasn’t too bad but for having to have someone on the window or middle (767) climb over - that is a bad configuration for sure.

However, I made the choice to go direct instead of newer planes and indirect and was glad I did overall.

I had Lufthansa do it once. It was kind of awesome.

Well, I’ve never flown transatlantic First, so I wouldn’t know :wink: I can imagine them doing that, but only if it’s the same airline all the way (i.e., would have to be BA, not United, for example). My bigger worry is traffic and weather delays, the added chance of a mechanical or weather delay on the ground, gate delays, pilot misplacing the keys to the plane, etc. So I always opt for the non-stop if I can get it.

BTW, “direct” just means your plane goes from your desired starting city to desired end city. Doesn’t mean it can’t stop somewhere in between. “Non-stop” means there are no (planned) stops between the two end points [cheers.gif]

from the FCT directly to your plane in a mercedes or Porsche. Hoping to do it again soon

Did the Porsche from the Frankfurt FCT to the plane. Pretty awesome indeed.
Not offered on connecting flights though, afaik.

As for First Class with a connection or Business direct… I’d take Business direct any time. Especially on the way US → Europe since all I do on these flights is to sleep and hope to be at destination asap. Connecting is unnecessary pain.

Yeah I had it in the Mercedes. I guess it wasn’t a connection, but was FCT direct to plane. Felt pretty badass.

Years ago I did fly from San Jose to London in the company jet. Parked my car in the hangar, and walked 50 feet to the plane. Enjoyed drinking the CEO’s 94 Opus One from the plane’s stash. But I’d still rather fly business or first on a trip of that duration.