richmond va

I’m gping to be in Richmond this week. Any restaurant worth seeking? Staying next to airport. Any kind of food and suggestions.

Enoteca Sogno, Buckheads, Mekong, Buz and Ned’s, Saison, Lemaire

1 Like

There isn’t much out near the airport. What kind of food are you looking for? Price range?

Lemaire is “fine dining” in an historic hotel where presidents and movie stars etc always stay. Falsely rumored to have been the model for the staircase in Gone With the Wind.

Buzz and Neds is respectable BBQ

The place creating most of the recent buzz (at least what I catch here in DC) is Peter Chang’s. Read the piece in the NYT. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/16/dining/where-peter-chang-cooks-they-will-follow.html?_r=0 It is allllll the way on the other end of the city though, in the western suburbs (the airport is east of Richmond)

Also, my sources inform me that Alamo Barbecue in Church Hill. Alamo and Deep Run Roadhouse are both better BBQ than Buzz and Ned’s

I will check out those other bbq joints in November on my market visit.

The airport area is all industrial/fast food/chain stores. You should reach out to Gary York, who owns Enoteca Sogno and is a great Italian restaurant with one of the best thought out wine lists in the state (no, I’m not pimping for free appetizers). At the very least you can get a sense of how far his place is from where you are and see if it’s worth the journey, not knowing how much driving you’re willing to do to get what you want. I think you would have to go straight through town to get there, and you do have some choices in the city on the East side of I-95 that are at least reasonable.

thanks for the recs everyone. Unfortunately for this trip I won’t be in charge of transportation or the rental car so my mobility will be limited… but I’ll be back out here many times in the future so I’m sure I’ll hit some of these places.

Pack a lunch. If you are stuck in Sandston . . .

Country style doughnuts is the only place worth eating by the airport.

make them take you to Enoteca Sogno. For reals.

welcome to da south :slight_smile:

Business partners took us to Boathouse last night. it was decent.

I haven’t been to the Boathouse, but it looks like it would be a nice place for a business dinner. Nice views?

Decent views.

Food was standard fare, but I enjoy trying local product like their oysters and such.

The airport here in Richmond is roughly 15-20 minutes east of downtown. Some of the best options in east Richmond are The Roosevelt and Metzger Bar and Butchery in the Church Hill area. Downtown / Oregon Hill can land you at Lemaire, Milly’s, Rappahannock Oyster, or Mamma Zu’s. Acacia in one of the best of many solid choices near Caryrown. Enoteca Sogno is about 10 minutes north of downtown now that it moved off of Broad Street a couple years ago. Lots of good options here now but unfortunately none of them are by the airport.

Reviving this old one.

I will be in Richmond in early November for a wedding. Northwest of the city in the Short Pump area (near intersection of Rte 295 and Rte 64. Looks like a lot of chains. Buffalo Wild Wings and Cheesecake Factory are right across from the hotel. Hoping to find some better options. Need a Saturday dinner and a Sunday brunch (wedding is Sunday night) Criteria are good food… nearby.

brenner pass is solid.

My family was in RVA this summer. Richmond isn’t big so if you have a car, pretty much everything is just a short drive away. These are the places we ate at and really loved all of them:

Shagbark:
New American with a southern twist. Pretty solid.

Supper:
More of a lunch/brunch place. Southern. Delicious. But on the heavy side depending on what you order. Again Delicious.

ZZQ:
Honestly, one of the best BBQ places I’ve ever been too. Crazy busy. Casual.

Perly’s:
Jewish Deli. Amazing. Can get crowded quickly on the weekend. Breakfast/lunch

L’Opossom:
Modern French. Hi end, but hi end for RVA, not stuffy like NY or SF. Actually quite chill and hip inside. Food is crazy good. You need reservations well in advance. Took my wife here for her bday and we loved it.

Consider Grisette for your Saturday dinner, or if you want Italian and a slightly more “authentic” Richmond experience, Edo’s Squid

Thanks. Seems like all the good stuff is downtown, I’ll never get the crowd there. Guess I’ll crack some good bottles in my room for the family before dinner and then just cope (oh… the inhumanity of it all)

Haven’t been here but in my neck of the woods Peter Chang has a handful of good restaurants. I particularly like his Beijing duck. Looks like this is close to Short Pump…

1 Like