milkyway?

I have not seen the milky way since I was a child.What resort can I go to in order to see it again?

I’m assuming you aren’t talking about this place: Melkweg Amsterdam Best hash selection I have ever (or will ever) see.

I would think there are places in the desert close to you with breathtaking star fields, but my personal choice would be the Caribbean

Mammoth or Joshua Tree?

Clear night in Mammoth, best at new moon time, will work. Suggest Mono Lake for best overall enjoyment.

This site provides sky darkness/brightness overlays for google maps. You simply choose a continent of interest, then zoom in on areas of interest. Lots of dark sky still to be found in the American west.

http://darksitefinder.com/maps.html

You just need to get away from a) haze from humidity and smog, and b) city lights. The combination of the two is particularly bad, and you have that in Anaheim, in spades. Elevation helps, even in city areas. From where you are, you should be able to get excellent views up at Arrowhead or Big Bear. Or head out to Palm Springs.

If you can get up into the mountains, like Mammoth, Tahoe, Yosemite, you are pretty much guaranteed to be able to get a great Milky Way view, as long as the sky is clear.

When I saw the thread title, I figured some Berserker wanted advice on traveling to the Milky Way.

I bet Dan Hammer could tell you how to use mileage to get there, or maybe you’d have to use light-years?

Double D ranch in the Frank Church National Forest in Idaho

Isn’t every star we see the Milky Way?

He’s talking about the band of scattered light that is from looking at our galaxy edgeways.

Hey Richard,

Big Bear would be your closest place where you could spent the night. The LA light pollution is still significant but it’s stunning none the less.

If you really want really dark skies then you need to head east of Palm Springs. Anywhere in the high desert between LA and PHX/LV is great. Do it during a new moon ( no moon) or just a slight sliver. The moon is a great object to view with binoculars.

Do a little research before you go like this, it will make your trip 10x more enjoyable.

Stargazing basics

Using Binoculars of stargazing

You’ll see satellites whizzing by and iridium flashes, the satellite solar panels reflecting off the sun. Milky Way is great but there are hours of object viewing with naked eyes and binoculars. Don’t forget the planets.

Download skyview free for iOS or Google Sky. They’re awesome, point and it’ll tell you what you’re looking at in the sky or type in “Mars” and it’ll direct right too it. Amazing tool.

Yes. Every individual star you would see is in the milky way. The bright band of light in the sky referred to as the “Milky Way” is just a high concentration of stars based on the viewing angle, we are looking into the MW on its edge.

They are galaxies and nebula (not the MW) we can see but not the individual stars within them.

There is an exception. We can see stars in other Galaxy when they go Super Nova but nothing right now.

melkweg - Boy does that bring back memories I can’t remember

I’ve seen it many times in New Jersey – part of it is having a clear night, and another part is knowing where to look. Of course it is ridiculously obvious when we go up to Saxtons River, Vermont especially in the winter. Any rural area where you are far enough from towns to avoid light pollution should give you a look at it. Places in the west and southwest, as already suggested, the Milky Way will be “loud” and probably almost startling. But it’s always up there.

For an amazing trip; diving, etc. Go during the whale shark season.

http://novotelningaloo.com.au/

There is nothing around there except creepy sounding 'roo.

I have ridiculous Milky Way pics using a Canon S400 old school. My SLR got smashed against my fins in luggage…