Sayulita, Mexico

Wife and I have never been to Mexico but just fell into a free week in a house in Sayulita with some friends. Any advise on what to do, what not to do, things to see? I have read that some people say to bring half your cash in pesos as the exchange rate when paying with US $ are not very favorable?

TIA-

Chris

It’s a pretty little beach town. Not much to do beyond, surf, swim and paddleboard. If you are at all inclined to explore, rent a car. But it’s a fine place to just chill for a week. No fine dining to speak of, but good Mexican street food. The nearby town of San Pancho (a/k/a San Francisco) is more of a town, but Sayulita has a better beach for swimming and surfing. Puerto Vallarta is about 45-60 minutes away by car if you want to have some more upscale meals. Punta Mita, which has a Four Seasons, is not far. I think they’ve paved the road between Sayulita and Punta Mita now, but it used to be pretty rough.

Change cash at an ATM at the airport or along the highway. I’d stop at one of the big stores to load up on provisions on your way there as there’s not much in the way of shopping in or near Sayulita. Everyone will gladly take dollars, but you’ll get terrible exchange rates if you go that way.

There’s a great place for smoked marlin burritos right across from the airport if you are hungry when you arrive.

Pretty much what James said. If you want a better food option, hire a chef for a few if not all your meals. Inexpensive and quite good. At least that has been my experience. Have your friend inquire with the agency/owners if you go that route.
There is a pretty decent taco joint across from the town square looking away from the water. Don’t remember the name, but if they have upstairs seating then that’s the place.
Bring a book and chill as that is pretty much all that you will be doing.

Thanks to both of you for the input. I am hoping to learn to surf, read a few books I have been putting off, and relaxation!

Chris

Hiring a chef is a good call. Owner will know someone.

I found dining out at restaurants to be US prices or worse and not very good. I’d stick to the Taco carts and shops. the fish market by the bridge with the blue tile has the freshest catch (it’s behind the counter due to the heat).

My favorite Taco place is called Naty’s. She makes over a dozen vegetable and meat focused tacos. A couple other stands make the smoked marlin tacos using fish from the aforementioned fish market–worth a try.

There’s pizza venezia that’s actually not bad, wood fired oven.

For sit down, if you must, Carmelita’s.

As for tacos:

El Ivan - open at night in front of the carniceria across the fish shop has great pastor for only 10 Pesos!

El icatate- best arranchara ( flank steak) in town. They serve fixings with every order which are also amazing. The portions are huge so if you’re looking for a bite, grab a taco at a time.

Wa Kika- ice cream and Popsicles!

Fridays are farmers market days by the bridge and you can grab organic and fresh produce there.

The best prices for Tequila and beer are at the liquor store on Navarrete at about Calle Marlin or Delfines, can’t remember. I like the Maracena tequila and they have an excellent selection of Spanish and Mexican beers.

I debated about posting this or not, but I figure better to mention it and let you do your own research and make up your own mind. I have been talking about Sayulita with a neighbor of mine a lot recently because she just went there on Tuesday for a destination wedding she is attending. She comes back on Sunday.

Anyway, in her research on it, she showed a lot of discussion online about a lot of visitors getting struck with illness while in Sayulita since about November of last year, through around April of this year (then we stopped reading). There is debate about whether it’s from swimming in the ocean, or more of a norovirus type of illness that just doesn’t get cleaned away. I’m waiting to hear her report on whether or not she gets violently ill, but she was pretty freaked out about going for the past few weeks. I can’t tell you how many Clorox wipes she packed. I don’t know if it’s a case of internet lore, or if there really are a lot of people getting sick down there. For what it’s worth, apparently the people who go heavy on the tequila have NOT been getting sick. So, there is that.

We really enjoy Casa De Chile Relleno and eat there regularly when we are there.

If you need fancier fare, the Four Seasons & St Regis are nearby.

Thanks to all for the tips…a micro trip report.

There were 5 of us and we didn’t really want to rent a car, so we had a Sayulita car service pick us up and return us to PVR. They stop at the PVR Mega grocery store on the way out of town so we could provision. Very handy.

Surfing – good waves for a variety of skill levels….go talk to several of the surf board rental/lesson people on the beach depending on what you may need, special boards, SUPS, lessons, etc.

Food – we ate at many of the small taco stands that would set up in the evenings, all were pretty good.

Bars – we spent several days in the beach bar towards the North end of the beach, it was part of a small bungalow resort. Bartender Daniel was great, and the beach vendors didn’t venture down there much. Also worth mentioning, the Sayulita Public House has many great Mexican micro brews…and they make and sell their own awesome hot sauce.

Beach vendors – ugg, this has always been one of my pet peeves anywhere I am on vacation. If you want to sell me your wares, set up a stand and I’ll come see you. Being interrupted every 5 minutes doesn’t make me want to patronize your business. It was interesting to me EVERY guy that sell cigars also sells a plethora of mind altering substances. I don’t care what other people do, but I am not going to take a chance on Mexican prison!

All in all a great time with great friends, but I think I’ll stick to T & C and the BVI.