Question for frequent fliers - should I bother?

(Disclaimer: Yes, I know about FlyerTalk, but it’s difficult to navigate for me, and I know there are plenty of seasoned travelers here!)

I’m working my way toward status on American Airlines (I JUST started, after flying almost exclusively Delta last year, and hate it though I didn’t reach status anyway), but I’m still far from it, apparently. I’m moving my company to Geneva, IL (any Berserkers there?) and will be taking more trips to Chicago as a result. I recently completed a trip to New Orleans on AA, will be going to South Carolina later this summer, and have an upcoming trip to Chicago that I could book either on AA or Southwest. Southwest has a 4X points/$ promotion now, and it’s a little easier to get to/from Midway than O’Hare, but with working on status, since Southwest doesn’t have any, really, I figure I need to work at AA as much as possible. However, with only one for sure trip, possibly another (this one in July I’m referring to) and likely at least one more, I’m not sure it’s even worth striving for, as I doubt I’ll make it anyway. My current status:

Miles: 3,306 of 25,000 (YTD)
Segments: 4 of 30 (YTD)

I have the AA Citi, and easily hit the minimum spend required for all the bonus points, but those don’t qualify for elite status, obviously. If I take a Chicago flight, that’s only 2 more segments, and only 3400 miles. The South Carolina trip is more miles (maybe 5000?) and at least 2 more segments, but still, it doesn’t seem like I’ll be even close. Jen made it this year by getting some triple miles promotion, and I’d like to see if I can get it. The flight to Chicago is $130 more on AA than on Southwest, and if I’m doing it to get status, but likely won’t get it…should I bother?

The entry level status on any airline is pretty close to worthless… get almost all the benefits with an airline credit card, that you don’t even need to use it if you don’t want to.

depends on how many segments you plan on flying once you do have status. Are you shooting for gold or platinum? Gold doesn’t seem to offer much. I know there is at least one AA credit card that gives you 10k EQM on $40k spend.

If that’s the case, I’ll shoot for the EQM points from the card, as I can easily put 50k/year on it, since it is used for inventory purchases (along with two others which also are used for inventory and shipping - about 150k/yr points spread around, before bonuses)

AA gold is worth it just for the priority access, seat choices, and baggage. can you sign up for a challenge?

No challenges/promos currently offered. I get a little priority access with the AA Citi Platinum card (zone 1) but my real question is essentially whether or not one extra trip will make a difference

AA Gold is no longer worth -especially if you already have basic benefits from your Citi card. I used to be AA Platinum then we cut traveling a bit at work and I slipped just under the minimum back to Gold. It seems that post US Air merger, it’s barely worth anything except early boarding and slightly higher mileage bonus. I get occasional upgrades when I have enough segments but that’s about it. In fact, I’ve moved my loyalty program to Virgin America who actually act as if they care about having my business and make the flight pleasant. And Virgin upgraded me today without even mentioning it - and I am low miles with them still. AA has lost my loyalty and I see no reason to encourage anyone to try for it unless you are at least going to hit Platinum and even then … meh.

I’d love to have Virgin America easily available to me, but they are LAX, and that’s a major haul, plus, after a long trip, when I’m driving back from LAX and pass John Wayne, it hurts…

I think aa plat is pretty meh as described by Siun above. The plat 100% mileage bonus is nice but the real spot to be earning miles is via CC and not from flying. The exec card will get you 10K of the way there like Jordan mentioned above but takes 40k in spend on a card with a $450 annual fee.

I think it’s only really worth it to be loyal if you have the chance to make exec plat, those 8 SWU cents are a really nice perk.

While SWA doesn’t have status outside of A list, if you do fly with them a ton and spend on their card, 110K miles via cc or flying will get you the companion pass which can be extremely valuable.

Sigh. Remember when flying/traveling used to be fun?

Gold is not worthless. Waive your credit card at the gate agent next time you’re in a weather delay and trying to get on the next available flight. Gold puts you higher on the pecking order. Just one example.

The card Jordan was talking about is the Citibank AA Elite. I have that card. It gets you a lot of the benefits of Gold status: priority check-in and one free bag. More important to me is it gives you 10,000 miles when you hit $40,000 in spending for the year. Pretty easy for me since I charge both company and personal to it and pay it at the EOM. I got my 10,000 on May 6th statement close. Most important to me it comes with Admirals Club access. I regularly get caught needing a place to work, snag some WiFi and most important, would like a clean toilet to use for once.

BTW, you can likely get Gold on segments pretty easy since you’ll be taking a bunch of flights. Gold is only 25 segments, not 30 like somebody above mentioned.

My AA card is the CitiBusiness Platinum Select - I also get one free bag, and priority check in, and it appears the same EQM bonus at $40k spend. Guess I have to revert off the Amex once I get that $15k spend in 3 months (to get 75k bonus points) and spend heavy on this AA card

No, you are right. It is not worthless.
But a guy in Todd’s situation may need to spend an extra $1000 (by steering all travel to AA and/or taking a mileage run to get the required mileage) over the course of a year to get that perk (and Gold is still way down the pecking order!). Would that be worth it? I don’t think so, but YMMV. And with his CC he gets most of the other perks offered. That’s all I’m saying.

these days, the only status that gets real noticeable perks is exec platinum. (free domestic upgrades that usually clear, and 8 systemwide upgrades) My knowledge is probably outdated though as I’ve dropped out of the FF game. I dropped from Exec Plat, to plat, to gold, to a no-status member. ughhhh

Whether that is worth flying 100k elite miles is really up to you.

At the least with AA Plat you can select the “preferred”, main cabin extra, or exit row seats for free. I have to pay $20-70 bucks for those seats as a no-status.
50k elite miles for Plat is probably doable for you and worth trying for this year.

This year, with increased work travel, I “might” make AA Gold. haha.

Maybe this was just an offer for me or others who used to have status, but I think that I can buy Platinum status for $1200 for a year. Depending on how many trips you take (and the savings for reserving preferred seats) and whether your business can pay for it as a pre-tax expense, it might very well be worth it. I was tempted but seem to still do some Southwest out of Midway during the year and so am not sure it is worth it for me (I cannot run it through as a business expense). I’ve held off but am considering it since I have 50 upgrade certs and without any status don’t think I will ever be able to use them…

oh todd, it used to be a hidden thing, but you can request a “platinum” challenge, where if you flew a certain number of miles or segments in the next X months, you get platinum status for the rest of the year, with the implication you would keep up the travel to keep platinum for future years.

Interesting…would I call AA or Citi? I presume the former

I think you are incorrect on the platinum biz card earning EQM, as far as I know (and on this subject that is pretty far) only the citi executive card ($450 annual fee) and Barclays silver aviator card offers EQM (can’t get the silver if you don’t already have an existing Barclay aviator card; closed to new applications).

Gold isn’t eorth more than the free seat choices and waived bag fee for the first bag. Platinum gives you a shot at upgrades (small chance on popular flights from elite heavy areas). Executive Playinum status (100 k EQMs) is very valuable.

Why don’t you put out a pledge from berserkers, say $300 each, and get yourself a G6? Time to start flying around spreading the vino gospel. My check is in the mail. :slight_smile:

Call AA Customer Service at 800-882-8880 and request a Platinum Challenge. There is a cost associated with the challenge, but I can’t remember the exact amount (maybe $250-ish). To complete the challenge, you have to earn 10,000 EQP (not miles) in three months on American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights. Wait until after June 16 to start your challenge as the resulting Platinum status will be good through 2016 and the first two months of 2017.