Napa or Sonoma - Where to stay?

Looking to head up for 2 nights (Th-Sat) and have no real preference if Napa or Sonoma. Will be a quick anniversary trip. A few places I’ve seen with availability are Kenwood Inn and Spa, Farmhouse Inn, Napa Valley Lodge, Fairmount Sonoma Mission Inn and Spa, among others. Are these worth the price of admission and if so, some have some packages that include spa packages, etc. Would love to hear peoples experiences at these places or any others if I happened to miss one that might have availability.

Would be nice to be walking distance to food, but not essential. Would be nice to have onsite Spa, but not essential. Really just looking for a relaxing experience for the weekend with some good food and wine.

Harvest Inn in St Helena was nice. We will be at Silverado Resort for a destination wedding next month.

If Spa is a factor check out Solage or Indian Springs in Calistoga.

Jim and Hardy, Thanks for the thoughts.

We stayed at the Harvest Innn last year and loved it, but no availability the weekend we are looking.

Stayed at Solage about 3 years ago and loved that as well, but not available. Will need to investigate Indian Springs, new one for me.

Would love to hear anyone’s experience with the places above as they currently have availability on the dates we are looking.

How about the Westin in Napa. Walking distance to plenty of food options.

SMI *****
Farmhouse Inn *****
Kenwood Inn ****

The Fairmount sounds like a good match to your needs, it is a larger, full service place, close to the town of Sonoma for lots of eating options. Farmhouse is a special place I would highly recommend, but it’s a little isolated. Has its own great restaurant, and I believe they do have spa options on site. If your dates are at all flexible, try calling them and see if they have a deal to offer you.

One of our most enjoyable weekends was at the Maison Fleurie in Yountville, a nice, quaint B&B, with lots of dining options, and I think some spa possibilities as well (I know there is a spa at the Vintage Inn, you probably don’t need to stay there to use it). Haven’t stayed at the Vintage Inn, but it looks very nice as well.

Big fan of the Wine Country Inn in St. Helena.
Not in walking distance of restaurants but it’s amongst some vineyards and they do have a shuttle to drive to restaurants (I think).

Anyone have thoughts on Napa Valley Lodge? Like the idea of Yountville and looks to be walking distance to everything in town for dining options? Some reviews say it’s getting a bit dated.

Also looking at the Lodge at Sonoma. Haven’t spent much time exploring sonoma and would be a good chance. Seems to be more updated and less corporate than SMI?

also researching some B&B options. Hoping to get things booked soon.

Looks great, but is sold out the weekend we are looking.

In that area, with those names, sure all are fine. I would just pull the trigger before more rooms/places are sold out

I stayed at the Napa Valley Lodge last summer for a wedding. It is a really nice, renovated motor lodge is the best way I can put it. The staff is very nice, the pool is fine, and the breakfast is good. Now, if I had my choice in Yountville I would much rather stay at the Vintage Inn/Villagio at the same or better price. It is a nicer facility and I think that the location is much better. Another option is The Bordeaux House B&B. It too is “fine”. Its not fancy but the location is great, the rooms are clean, and the staff is nice.

JD

Going to put my thoughts on places we looked at in hopes it helps others.

-Decided the hotels were not the environment we wanted , SMI, Sonoma Lodge, Napa Lodge.

-Kenwood topped my list, but didn’t have availability all the way through, would have had to switch rooms.

-Farmhouse sounded nice, but might try that out on a one day sneak away when we don’t want to explore too much.

-The new Indian Springs rooms sound nice, almost went for that but was worried about it being crowded and a lot of kids running around (based on reviews).

-Wine Country Inn and Maison Fleurie were booked, but both are high on our list to check out next time.

Some other places that looked great that we will consider next time.- The cottages of Napa Valley, Chanric Innn in Calistoga (FYI rooms 3 & 4 quietest per owner, room 7 is largest room and has huge bathroom and tub), Inn on Randolf in Napa, and the Milliken Creek Inn and Spa.

In the end we hope we decided on a good place - Gaige House in Glen Ellen. A smaller B&B type place, we decided to go with the Zen cottage based on reviews. It has a pool/hot tub, nice soak tubs in room, on-site massage/spa, and close to Sonoma and walking distance to places in Glen Ellen.

Now need to start researching places to eat and set up some tastings. Any recommendations for that area?

Jeff, haven’t been there, but hear good things. Right there in Glen Ellen there is a pretty decent restaurant called Olive and Vine. Not far on the Sonoma Square is Girl and the Fig, and El Dorado Kitchen. But you’ll find pretty much everything here:

And go in to the Village Market and grab one of their panini sandwiches for lunch one day.

Alan, thanks for the thoughts and just recently saw that link. Have you ever been to Sante in the SMI? Debating that for our anniversary dinner as well. Reviews seem very positive.

Also considering Glen Ellen Star, Olive and Vine, Aventine, and the one’s you mentioned in Sonoma; Girl and Fig and El Dorado Kitchen

All of those places are lovely! For an anniversary…IMHO-The Farmhouse has the best intimate dining experience in Sonoma County. They also have a superb onsite spa, and great bathtubs in the room! It is a bit isolated for shopping and the like ( who needs to leave) - but for proximity to West Sonoma Coast Wineries- it is the best you can get. Have fun- any of them will be great. champagne.gif

Sorry, I haven’t. We stayed there a couple of years ago, and enjoyed the grounds, but don’t remember poking my nose in the main restaurant. Looks pretty fantastic in photos, and the menu looks sensational. It’s probably the highest end restaurant in the area, from the looks of it.

I like Farm House as well, though it’s a lot more casual/country style, and I wouldn’t recommend it for you staying in Glenn Ellen - too far away to be driving that far after eating/drinking. From Glenn Ellen you can easily get a taxi into downtown Sonoma; SMI is even closer.

HIGHLY recommend staying at the Gaige house. One of the best stays we’ve had. If you go, book one of the Zen suites.

Girl and Fig for lunch was great. Sante was very good. and Glen Ellen Star was the Star. One of the best meals we’ve had in a long while. Also hit up the market in Glen Ellen to grab a sandwich, highly recommend as it was delicious and ton’s of options.

I enjoyed my stay at The Lodge at the Sonoma Renaissance last year. I would recommend staying in oneo f the cottages as opposed to the main building.

Highly recommend GE Star and Olive and Vine. Also, Glen Ellen has Fig Cafe, sister restaurant to a Girl & the Fig. It’s slightly more casual, no rez, free corkage (at least all this is accurate as of my last visit).