Taipei high end restos?

What Chinese, Taiwanese, or even Japanese high end restaurants are worth looking at in Taipei?

It’s not my first time, and my wife is Taiwanese, so we’re experienced with all the street food, beef noodle soup, and so on and so forth.

Instead I want to treat my wife to something she never had occasion to experience when she lived there.

You need to PM Sarah Kirshbaum. She was just there. She has a good feel for local restaurants.

Thanks for the shout out, Don. In this case, though, I’m afraid I can’t help. We didn’t visit any high-end restaurants in Taipei, or even research them. Having just knocked down a number of Michelin stars in both Hong Kong and Japan, we were content to finish up our trip with simple, local and comforting fare.

My son did a Fulbright in Kaoshing and took a group of fellow law students to Taipei over their spring break. I asked him for some recommendations. He has not experienced the range that most of you have but here goes:

Mitsui is amazing. High end Japanese food. Best sashimi I have ever had. Maybe the most upscale restaurant in Taipei. No. 30 Nongan Street, Zhongshan District, Taipei City.

Shi Yang Cultural Restaurant (食養文化山房) is probably my favorite meal I have had this year. It is out in the countryside so you need to take a cab, but it is 100 percent worth it. It is situated in the forest and is surround by streams, waterfalls and beautiful trees. The architecture is Japanese minimalist, with glass windows that capture the sunlight. This place is amazing.

Hope this helps, Mike

Do you know p. yang? (he used to live in napa). If so you should reach out to him, he’s stationed himself in taipei and has a very thorough understanding of the fine dining scene there. If not, holla and i’ll make the intro.

p.s. there is always new street food to try and restaurants you didn’t eat at before [snort.gif]

I recommend Mume (the chef worked at Noma), although the service was kind of so so (they didn’t clear used dishes or utensils until we asked). The food was great and prices were relatively cheap. Raw is another restaurant that was recommended to me, but it was too difficult to get a reservation when I went in March (I think it’s an online booking reservation system and my friends that lived there used 2 computers to try to book and still couldn’t snag a res). I’m headed there again in December so I’ll try again.

Just go to Din Tai Fung every single day.

Also, see: Things to Do, Tickets, Tours & Attractions | 2023 | Viator

no way to DTF lol.

Shut your mouth!