Vienna Help

Good Afternoon

I am taking a group of customer to Vienna this fall and am looking for any tour guide recommendations. Priorities include

Wine
Beer
Food
Culture

Would prefer a walking tour of vienna if possible.

Anyone out there done anything like this?

Thanks
Eric

Contact one of the bigger adventure/hiking/walking tour companies like VBT. They hire in country guides for their tours and they may do personal tours. That’s the best lead I can give you.

This isn’t a tour guide lead, but if you visit the opera in Vienna (which you should), stop by Bitzinger Würstelstand in the square next door. Delicious and affordable sausages, beer, and wines. Plus, it’s amusing to see people dressed up in formal attire stuff their faces with sausages :slight_smile:

Also not a guide lead, but

Sights to think about:
Belvedere palace,
Opera,
Haus der musik, (empty at night)
Tower at St Stephen’s (grueling, but a great workout and fantastiche view)

Food and wine:
Plachutta’s for schnitzel or tafelspitz
Various heurigen for wine, grub, vibe
Demel’s for sachertorte or other pastries and coffee in the afternoon.
I thought the Naschmarkt was a hideous tourist trap

Thanks for the suggestions–I’ve got some work to do.

Keep them coming if anyone else can help.

FYI, you may want to get a guide since it’s a group, but we did the Rick Steves walking tour from the book and wrapped it up at the Hofburg Palace. The “Sisi Rooms” there were actually very interesting, but maybe less so for a bunch of guys on a beer/wine tour.

Eric,

My husband and I were in Vienna last September, and we used Bettina Mandl with My Vienna Guides (http://www.my-vienna-guides.at/start.html?L=4; bettina-mandl@chello.at), and thought she was great. Since then, I recommended a friend to her for a visit in January, and he too thought she was great.

For a wine/food tour, you may want to consider Taste Hungary (http://tastehungary.com/tours/austria/). While we didn’t use their services in Vienna, we did use them for Burgenland in Austria and in Hungary, and we thought they were fantastic.

Marilyn

Eric - I have done culture tours with Context Travel - contexttravel.com - in several cities in Europe, including Vienna. Always very good guides, small groups.

thanks to all

^^^ this.

Also, Kim Kocht.

I found Vienna easy to walk for most of the tourist draws and readily found a taxi when I needed one. I did not use a guide. Sorry i’m not much help.

If there is any chance for you to do a side trip and you love white wine, the Wachau is not far by car and we had our best meal of the year at Landhaus Bacher (stay there too if you can). That trip also included meals in Vienna at Steirereck, Kim Kocht, and a casual but insanely good place serving schnitzel I still dream of.

we ate there as well on the same trip we did steirereck. Preferred Landhaus Bacher but both were wonderful

John

Any idea what the name of the schnitzel place was?? Sounds like I don’t want to miss it.

I am looking at a day trip to the Wachau valley. Hopefully I can make it happen.

Lots of good schnitzel in Vienna. Figlmüller is probably the most famous.

An additional dining choice.

I’m on the ground for the next few days; did we ever find a name for the place of John’s dreams?

Schweizerhaus was great, especially with Augustiner Helles on the list.
WP_20160910_15_51_00_Rich.jpg

Enjoyed lunch at Plachutta. Boiled beef is, well, boiled beef… but the broth was spectacular and the wine list wasn’t bad.
WP_20160911_12_38_22_Rich.jpg
WP_20160911_12_30_35_Rich.jpg

Gratuitous Lubeck patio shot on a 75 degree evening. Yes, I’ve had a lot to drink today… and you’re not even seeing the festival beers :slight_smile:
WP_20160911_18_31_50_Rich.jpg