Chicago - one night only. ISO wine.

Hi all,
I’ll be in Chicago (ever so briefly) next Tuesday for one evening out and about. I’m staying centrally, but will always travel for wine.

Table, Donkey & Stick; Parachute; and the Cherry Room have all been recommended.

What say you? Other recommendations for a lovely wine list +/- some ambiance?
Many thanks in advance.

The Kitchen - gorgeous room, very good food and an interesting wine list which changes often as they source from small producers.

http://thekitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/KitchenChicagoWine.pdf

https://www.facebook.com/TheKitchenChicago/photos_stream

We go often for special events and for a casual glass or two - comfortable but superb.

Alec. I irritating wine list and interesting food. Parachute - great food, limited wine list. Sepia - good at both

I am guessing David means Avec. this is a good choice as is Sepia champagne.gif

High end I think Tru has the best list. Lots of older Burg.
Spiaggia has a great Italian list. It is stupid expensive IMO.
16 in the Trump has a nice list as does Les Nomades but it has been a while since I have been.

Ceres’ table has a really nice Italian list of more unique wines… i.e not Barolo and Barbaresco.

I am sure others will chime in.

George

I would say that Table, Donkey & Stick probably doesn’t have the ambiance you’re looking for. It’s also a bit far from downtown.

Agree that Sepia is a very good alternative with a nice ambiance.

Thanks all. Figured he meant Avec as well. :slight_smile: Will look into Sepia. And while centrally located (Loop / Gold Coast) is helpful, it’s not paramount.

Sepia is great, Avec or blackbird are of course highly recommended

Boarding house for a cool scene and great wine.

Assuming corkage isn’t any sort of issue…I’d agree with George about Spiaggia, Cere’s Table, and 16. I have been to Les Nomades recently and enjoyed it; went for corkage free Thursday. Tru does indeed have a great list but in the last 1-2 years, in two separate visits, the wine service sucked.

I’d also throw Boka and Blackbird out there, too. Recently had a couple of very good experiences at Maple & Ash, too.

JD

We’re Chicago bound this fall. I read on Berserkers of a restaurant that starts with A, that’s located high atop a building downtown. This was approximately 3 - 4 years ago. Can you help me remember the name? If it wasn’t Michelin, it was still a top place to eat. It wasn’t Alinea. If you have any other suggestions, I’m interested.

Did the restaurant start with an E (Everest)? If so, permanently closed

Didn’t love the food, but the list was top notch.

I knew it was a vowel. [wink.gif]

Can you recommend a like restaurant? Doesn’t matter of it’s BYO.

Everest was Alsatian food. I enjoyed it but it was hit or miss for many. What was it that you liked about it? That would be helpful to know.

George

Not too much on the Alsatian side that I can think of, nor anything on the top of a building (there is the Signature Room on the Hancock if you don’t care about high quality), but some French quality alternatives include:

• Les Nomades (I was a member when it was a private club 25 years ago - been back once since)

• Bistronomic

• rent a car and drive to Winnetka for one of Michael Lachowicz’s restaurants (George Trois and Aboyer are open)

1 Like

Dan, I love Les Nomades and George Trois (I’m biased, the chef is a friend). Be aware that both require jackets for men. Les Nomades is free corkage on Thursdays. Aboyer is good food too (it comes out of the same kitchen as George Trois), but much more casual.

1 Like

No need to rent a car, if you want to drink, and avoid the Uber mess. Metra stop is half a block away. Just make sure and time your departure.

Brindille doesn’t get mentioned often in these “Chicago” threads, but is worth a look for the OP, doubly so as it is “centrally located”.

1 Like

My problem with Everest was always service. The food was consistently very good but the service spoiled several visits.

1 Like

Hi John,

Sorry to hear this. We really enjoyed the food and the list when we were there and the service was fine, as I recall.

Cheers and till soon I hope!
Josh

Has Blackbird resumed to there prior standards? Extremely consistent, I go when I’m in Chicago.

Sepia was also very good (pre pandemic)

Blackbird is finished. I love Sepia