Europe Travel - Safe?

Leaving on Monday, 3/28 for Paris, Sicily, Tuscany. Any thoughts on the current state of affairs besides the obvious ones? Obviously everyone is on high alert and the US State Dept has issued a warning against travel to Europe for the immediate future.

Anybody in Paris/Italy have a local update? I always look on the bright side - with everybody on such high alert that it should be the safest time to travel but…

Has it?

This makes me feel better - american-students-studying-in-paris-react-to-the-latest-terrorist-attacks

Yes they have issued a warning - but seems obvious they would after the event yesterday.

We are still going, just getting a little antsy I guess.

Does it advise against travel or advise caution?

In any event I still plan on visiting Brussels next month taking normal precautions.

Unless one lives a very rural life it’s impossible to guarantee avoiding such atrocities.

There will be more, in Europe and in the US.

I am in Paris now.

Walking around the Marais, I feel pretty relaxed.
Walking down Haussman around Galeries Lafayette, I am a little more on edge and more
cognizant of my surroundings.

I wonder how many die in traffic accidents in Europe every day.
Humans are very poor at judging relative risk.

P Hickner

Being an Israeli - I can say that while a slight “edge” can sometimes be felt on the street - it’s probably not constructive to dwell on it.
I’m sure that in a continent as large as Europe the probability of getting hurt by a terrorist attack are pretty slim…

No. They have not. They issued an advisory. They have issued one in January and another one just 2 weeks ago. Be vigilant in public places. Avoid large public gatherings. Be wary of stray bags.

Not only are you much more likely to die in a traffic accident, you’re also much more likely to be shot by someone in the United States. I often wonder if European countries issue travel warnings to their citizens every time some nutjob shoots up an American shopping mall.

I think I read something stating your were more likely to die from complications from a routine prostate exam than a terrorist attack. Life is full of lurking dangers - they just don’t really lurk where our imaginations place them.

Of course, being on the alert is a good idea regardless. But go to Europe. Every person who decides not to visit as a result of this attack is, to me, a small victory for the enemies of freedom and open exchange of cultures.

Agreed. Will be flying to Barcelona in a couple a months. Will it be on my mind as I walk through the airports and train stations… sure. Will I change my plans. No way.

George

I have performed more than 20K digital recital exams in my career without a fatality.

Man, how do you die from a rectal exam…
Actually don’t tell me.

Can’t wait for your biography, Glenn

It’s a memoir.

I was wondering the same thing??? Heart attack? [scratch.gif]

Glenn - this will make a great title.

I have performed more than 20K digital recital exams in my career without a fatality.

I’m assuming this includes the 30 day period. [berserker.gif]

Not certain of that Eric!

Something I’ve always wondered: do you get to keep any loose change you find?