Singapore and Chili Crab

We have just over 24 hours in Singapore coming up next month. Does anybody have any favorites restaurants for Chili Crab? Would we be better off forgetting the Chili Crab and getting Black Pepper Crab instead? It would be nice to avoid the touristy/over priced spots. Any other food/sights recommendations would be welcome too…

Have u had chili crab before?
If not u would get it to try it. Since it’s kinda well known.
If you’ve had it before u probably won’t be asking :slight_smile: and will be getting another style of crab already.
I’ve had it multiple times along with other preparation style… I almost always prefer other styles.

For a more local experience I would recommend, Roland Restaurant in the East Coast or Mellben Seafood at Toa Payoh. Both are not super close to town but worth trying if you want a more authentic experience for good value and tasting Chili Crabs. But if you don’t feel like exploring too far out from town, I would recommend Long Beach @ Dempsey, they are one of the better ones, but a little more touristy and pricey.

You could talk a walk around Gardens by the Bay and visit the flower dome which is having a sakura exhibition now (not sure for how long more) and the cloud forest which is nice. Or visit the new museum, National Gallery Singapore to see some south east asian artworks.

If you have time for food you should check out Foong Kee Coffee Shop (Best Roast Pork Rice) @ 6 Keong Siak Road, Tian Tian Chicken Rice and Jin Hua Fish Soup @ Maxwell Hawker, those are some good street food/hawker recs. For higher end I would say Cure, Odette, Jaan, Tippling Club. For drinks, Jigger and Pony or 28hk (Cocktails), La Terra (Winebar).

why are you limiting yourself to 1 chili crab?

Also Benjamin is totally on point for his hawker stand recs. Tian Tian Chicken rice and Jin Hua Fish Soup (noodles) are two of the best things I had all trip.

Something in the center of town is No Sign Board Seafood (http://www.nosignboardseafood.com/). It’s really clean and modern. They do a nice white pepper/black pepper/ and chili crab as well as a cereal prawn. We ordered 3 crabs cause ya know, only live once.

I’m also pretty obsessed with this spot Ice Blossom's Lair: Yong Xiang Xing Yong Tau Foo (永祥兴豆腐) You can’t miss the line. That hawker center (people’s park food center) has a lot A LOT of food to try as well. First time we had soy milk with watermelon juice was there, so good.

Something in the center of town is No Sign Board Seafood (> http://www.nosignboardseafood.com/> ). It’s really clean and modern. They do a nice white pepper/black pepper/ and chili crab as well as a cereal prawn. We ordered 3 crabs cause ya know, only live once.

+1!

+1 to check out People’s park food center, if you’re there, have this amazing claypot rice too - Lian Ben Ji Claypot Rice review - ieatishootipost . ah just too much good food.

In one day I had breakfast, visited two hawker stands and got four dishes, went to the mall and ate some baked goods then hit up chili crab. Walking back to our place I took down some Roti. I <3 Singapore.

+1 here. It’s my go to stop every time I’m in Singapore.

Also I never get chili crab. Always pepper crab (white pepper crab my favorite, black pepper 2nd favorite). Chili crab is too ‘soupy’ for me.

Timely thread, we have a few days in Singapore on our way home from the Maldives next month. Some good recommendations here, can’t wait to eat myself silly.

Todd, you flying SQ?

Go on Youtube and watch Mark Wien’s videos in Singapore. He gives great tips and locations. He also has a website called Migrationology.

Yup. HAN-SIN in business. 24 hour stopover (hence the thread), then SIN-HKG-SFO in first. No suites, but I’m optimistic that regular ol’ SQ F will be an ok option for our debut first class flight experience.* champagne.gif

Unless a couple of CX seats open up on our flight next week, in which case, SQ2 will be our second first class flight…

I assume you’re in suites?

Nice, SQ F should be great. We are in J MLE-SIN, two nights in SIN then SQ12 SIN-NRT-LAX in suites.

You know you’re doing ok when one of the day’s biggest decisions will be Dom or Krug. [cheers.gif]

Flying out of SIN in F or suites is also a treat with the nice BTC selection, even J ain’t too bad.

Tyler, do you have any Book the Cook favorites? I keep seeing Lobster Thermidor (Boston or regular, I can’t tell?), but don’t know how to separate those with reliable opinions from those spouting nonsense on FlyerTalk…

I love the lobster Thermidor out of SIN

If you are going lobster Thermidor, definitely go Boston. Boston is the whole lobster including claw meat stuffed back into the tail shell. Regular is just the tail meat, Boston is only available to F pax where regular is J and F.

This will be my first round on SQ so I’m a BTC virgin as well. Doing the Boston ex SIN and the rack of lamb ex NRT.

If for some reason you don’t like your BTC selection, FAs should usually let you eat off the regular menu, or just fill your belly with Dom, Krug and Pichon Lalande.

I always think for seafood in Singapore you are just spoilt for choice, my thing in hawker centers is bbq stingray, cant eat it every day

Timely thread. I’ll be there April 10 - 13. Hopefully, I’ll have time to check-out some of these recommendations.

+2 for No Sign Board Seafood. We didn’t go as big as Fu (Who can? [truce.gif] ) We only had 2 crabs – one Chili and one White Pepper. Both were fantastic, but I had a slight preference for the White Pepper.

Ah nice, glad you enjoyed the crab dishes from Singapore! I prefer the white pepper crab to black pepper crab, however the chili crab with the buns are epic. Did you have any wines with them? champagne.gif

lol. We had 5 people? :smiley:?