Vegan Friendly Paris? Or Does That Not Exist?

We will be in Berlin, Amsterdam and Paris next month, meeting up with our daughter, who is vegan. I have had no problem finding vegan, or vegan friendly restaurants in Berlin and Amsterdam, but Paris is a conundrum. I had no idea how difficult this would be.

I know that there are vegetarians out there among you, and hopefully some that have traveled to Paris and had wonderful meals. Anyone have suggestions for quality, vegan/vegetarian friendly restaurants? So far, it appears that L’Atelier Rodier fits the bill.

Help!

The vegetarian restaurants in Paris have pretty bland food from my experience. Your best bet is to go to a Moroccan restaurant and get vegetable couscous. I’ve had some really outstanding couscous in Paris.

Yeah, seems like felafel, couscous, indian, and chinese food are the options. I am hoping to find good bistros, or the like, with enough vegetable options to feed a vegan, and to satisfy the non-vegans as well.

If you speak enough French, almost any restaurant will make up a vegetarian plate, which usually consists of grilled or sauteed veggies, some pasta or rice, and maybe some lentils. But vegan is a bigger challenge, as all those will be cooked in butter.

There are lots of blogs and guides out there for vegans in Paris. This one looks particularly helpful:

Arpege did an all vegetarian meal, but i’m not sure if it’s vegan as I’m sure they use butter on a number of dishes.

Poppy, I assume that you are correct, but the butter will present a challenge.

From what I have read, “vegetarian” in Paris seems to mean no meat. From the blogs that I have read, most restaurants seem to think that vegetarians at least eat fish. May be true with some. Obviously, not with vegans.

My search continues.

Some good falafel places in the Marais. Also the Happy Cow website has a good comprehensive-looking listing of vegan and veg-friendly restaurants, just type in Paris in the search bar. http://www.happycow.net/

My French friends use the word Vegeta-RIEN to describe veganism (the “rien” meaning nothing). If you are ordering in a non veggie restaurant (ordering a veg plate), that is the word you want to use.

That was my thought as well. And I’m sure they could leave the one meat course out of the prix fixe lunch. The vegetable dishes are the main point of the restaurant anyway. But butter will be ubiquitous.

Butter would be a deal breaker.

I just searched “vegan food Paris” and at least two vegan places came up (as well as lots of veggie ones)

I have searched, too, but wasn’t impressed with what I found.

To compare and contrast, search vegan restaurants in Berlin or Amsterdam. There are what appear to be first-rate vegan or vegetarian restaurants. I’ll be finding out soon.

If you are interested, check out einsunternull, Cookies Cream and Lucky Leek in Berlin, or De Culinaire Werkplaats and De Kas in Amsterdam. Guts & Glory is serving a vegetarian menu at the moment, and those are the same people that started Cafe Daalder, which many people here love.

Unfortunately vegetarian is easy, vegan is a lot harder.

végétarien ou végétalien, non?

I have found a few over the years, but do not have the names to share. Here is a list of some that you may want to consider: http://www.sloweurope.com/travel/guides/france/paris-vegetarian-restaurants.php

I reviewed my Paris file and actually found the name of one of the vegetarian restaurants that was near our hotel and it was really good, albeit on the hippy side, very small, casual and very popular: Le Puits de Legumes located at 18, rue Cardinal Lemon in the 5th; it`s not fancy, but they do have a dedicated commitment to using the finest organic ingredients and the food is seasoned to the delight of their customers.

I`m assuming they are still open, but suggest checking them out beforehand if you are interested.

What about l’Arpege? If at the very high end of vegetarian …
http://www.alain-passard.com/en/

That’s a clever pun but vegetarian = végétarien and vegan = vegan (commonly used) or végétalien.

France is still way behind other countries in serving vegetarian food. Be extra careful as you’re likely to live a scene straight out of a Simpsons episode if you order vegetarian in a place that isn’t specialized in it. I’m quite sure some waiters can bring you a plate with fish, shrimps and chicken and be completely surprised when you point out it isn’t vegetarian food. Still I’m sure there are lots of vegetarian-only places in Paris.

Vegan means no butter, no cream, no milk, no cheese. In the French psyche there’s a word for that: hell.

Love your last statement. It`s so true.

Better not let him hear you use that term