Can't believe how spoiled I've become...

My husband and I are booked in Business class on Cathay Pacific JFK to HKG next week, and I have been hoping for First Class to open up. With award seats usually coming online 2 Sundays in advance, I started checking last night. Sure enough, seats became available on the flight I want the day before and the day after. Actually, seats are available on more than one flight the day after! But nothing at all, not even one seat in F on my day, on any flight. I can’t go the day before, due to some business obligations, but I find myself actually contemplating shortening my vacation by 1/2 to 1 day just to get the F flights (I’ve done Cathay F before, and it’s great).

I keep trying to tell myself this is crazy. I have great biz seats in the small, more private section, at the time I want and dinner reservations at a 2* restaurant that night, which I would miss if I fly out the next day. And yet, I am still considering it.

Tell me I’m crazy! Or tell me I’m not. Mostly, I’m just venting and sharing my glaringly First World Problem.

Cheers,
S

Well done. You’re preaching to the choir. champagne.gif champagne.gif [wink.gif]

Not crazy!

It’s what I would do!

You’re in business class. Don’t give up the dinner.

Just sub silly for spoiled and you’re good.

Ouch, thanks for that one!

I don’t think it’s particularly silly to weigh which options will give you the best overall experience. We do that every time we make a plan - save money on a connecting flight and lose a little time? Stay at an inn far from everything but in a beautiful location, knowing it means we’ll have to drive everywhere? Should I book one blow-out meal or two less expensive dinners? Every choice for something means losing something else. I doubt I’ll make this particular choice to shorten my stay, but to me it’s worth considering. Worth poking fun at myself for considering, sure - so are plenty of the travel choices I make! - but not without merit.

I have a friend who cares ONLY about the flight/lounge experience. He books the longest possible luxury options (all on miles), with long layovers in cities where there’s a special lounge, when he takes vacation and rarely if ever even goes into the cities he passes through. It’s his priority, and his passion. Wouldn’t be my choice, but I respect him for it.

Business class in Cathay Pacific isn’t so bad! Last winter my wife and son flew to Hong Kong (on miles) in the smaller, more intimate business class cabin, and they loved it. Service was fantastic, although it appears the food has declined a bit. Sure beats sitting in the back. However it turns out for you, have a great trip, Hong Kong is a great city!

I’m the first to admit I only like reading about traveling but that is just strange. Travel with lounges as the destination???

Not silly or crazy. I’d probably do it. You can eat at a 2* restaurant any time, the flight will last a lot longer than dinner.

Of course I’m speaking as someone who’s never flown first but I’d do it for a move from Premium Economy to Business. Not sure if the differential in experience from Bus to First is as large.

To be fair, I think it’s the flights themselves that he loves, and the lounges are an added bonus, as well as being fun to research, compare and explore. He loves the experience of flying in upper class. Likes to be pampered and given fancy food and drink (he’s not a real foodie) and get the First Class treatment. He enjoys comparing across the various airlines and learning all the tricks for getting the best experience. He finds it relaxing and easy to unplug away from work, electronic leashes, even family. I can see it.

While it’s not our destination we love spending time in the Cathay Pacific Wing Business lounge in Hong Kong and will get to the airport early or plan a longish layover to do so. Arnold gets in because of his CP status and gets me in with his miles. flirtysmile

Hi Jay. Agreed, the step up from Economy, even Premium Economy, to Business is huge to me. It’s the difference between being able to sleep and not sleep, since the seats in business fully recline and I have a back issue. I would absolutely give up the day to make that switch.

Between business and first is mostly a matter of amenities. The food is better, the champagne is Krug, they offer caviar service, and you can comfortably set up your in-suite table to dine across from your traveling companion. It’s easily the best flight I’ve taken. That said, Peter is right, and business if very nice, particularly in the smaller cabin. One will have a very comfortable flight there.

I get the unplugging but even on cheap-ass coach I get wifi now and answer work e-mails. That doesn’t happen over the ocean huh?

I love that film Up In The Air because culturally I know it exists, and yet is so foreign even while I participate as an airline customer from time-to-time.

This is a serious illness for which there is no known cure, but there is an organization that offers palliative care:

http://www.FlyerTalk.com

He seeks regular treatment there. :wink:

I’m very lucky to still travel in First where it’s available, but I’m yet to experience a lounge that I prefer to spend time in than my own home, or one with as interesting a wine list (though admittedly the price in the lounge is good).

It’s been four years since I’ve been able to afford to go on a vacation. You have no idea how spoiled you are.

Yuck. Don’t do it then.

Proudly upholding the “Krug is overrated” banner since 1998.

I’ve only ever flown cattle class. I’d not want to lose the business class seats!

I might consider altering plans by a day to get up to biz from coach, but not from biz to 1st. But then I can’t sleep on planes, and the food/wine difference wouldn’t be enough to persuade me to spend any miles or $$.

If I may get on a soap box: I find the transformation of most long haul flights to emphasize business and first seats to be alarming, and slightly disgusting. The amount of space wasted in first class is ridiculous. In this age of concern about CO2 emissions and fuel conservation, it’s hard to justify.