Zion NP advice

Well be there in late spring. We have a condo rented in Springdale. Plan to day trip to Brice and Capitol Reef also. Any other suggestions? Flying in and out of Vegas with no plans for anything in Vegas other then perhaps to grab some wine there on our way since Springdale is tiny. Likely stop in St Georges to provision too. Interested in advice on anything from hiking to side trips, to restaurants in Springdale and where to buy food and wine for the condo. Might bring along a six pack of gems from home too on the plane. Excited to go there and hope to do Angles Landing.

Thanks!

Bring wine (to drink in room as BYO is tough) as springdale is still Utah. My info is a bit dated so chec kin advance:

Bit and Spur is a good mexican place. Any hike into the Narrows is great. Bright Angel trail is well known. Zion Adventure Company (have a store) is good place to get advice and get a few things.

Those are going to be long day trips. I forget how far Arches is but I’d opt for that over Capital reef. Capital reef is cool because almost nobody goes there. Nice time of year to go before it gets too hot.

Thanks John, yea no plans for Arches or Canyonlands. Love them both but too far away. Last time we got as far as Brice and didn’t have time to get to Zion. We barely did Brice so we’ll re go there for sure and Capitol Reef is on the list too. Are the Narrows something more than a self guided day hike? Its pretty wet, correct? Anything about Capitol Reef, not to miss? Any unique hikes or doable assents there?

I only drove thru Capital Reef. it was cool to see all the washes and did a short hike. And believe it was the drive down there where I saw all the hoodoos.

The Narrows is very popular for good reason. And yes best to get wet and simply walk in the water starting at/near Temple of Sinawa (sp). Ask at ZionAdventure Co. or entrance. No permit required to just play around there and go a few miles upstream if you can. If cold can rent drysuit (half or full) and water shoes at Zion Outdoors. This is a good idea! The narrows are spectacular and famous for good reason. I have done it from the top as an overnight but that is a different story. Zion has a ton more going on than Bryce as you’ll see.

If you want a canyoneering adventure get can a guided trip from Zion Adventure Co. I only plug them as a happy and very old customer. Unfortunately guided trips are not allowed in Zion proper (maybe this has changed) but they have some amazingly cool day trips nearby where you can rappel into slot canyons. It’ll be wet that time of year and while that may sound crappy is actually way more fun and intense. If you do that it’ll be something you’ll never forget. I went guided a few times with them then did nearly all the slots in Zion proper my own with a buddy. The Keyhole is a short slot canyon (2hrs) in Zion proper that with a half day course you can do on your own and it is spectacular and easy. You’d need to rent some gear for this (drysuit, short rope, harness, belay device, water shoes).

Enjoy

A few quick comments from when we did some bike touring in the area.
Bring your wine, it’s Utah.
Little in the way of services near Bryce or Capitol Reef.
Zion and the surrounding area have the most to offer for restaurants, shops, etc.
Some restaurants close on Sundays, it’s Utah.
I know it’s a drive, but Arches IS spectacular and Moab is probably the funniest town in Utah.
Photo is from near the entrance to Zion.
IMG_1376.JPG

Thanks again John, the slot canyon thing sounds like a blast. Ill definitely get in touch with outfitter soon after I check out their web site. It really helps to get an on the ground report from someone who has been. I have a condo for seven nights which might be a lot of time if it was just Zion but we’ll want to be able to relax too and be able to get in CR & Brice. my wife likes to cook so well do a couple nights out and most eat on a big patio our place has. Pumped! Thinking about the south rim of the GC too but that might be too much of a drive. Been there, just be fun to go back.

Thanks Michael, well be cooking in a lot and now I’ll for sure plan to bring some choice stuff from my cellar along too.

+1 for The Narrows
We have always enjoyed Cedar Breaks NM

Arches is indeed one of the more interesting Parks in UT, but too far from where you’ll be for a day trip. My other favorite is Bryce, which is pretty amazing. Zion is nice, but for me not like Arches or Bryce.

Thanks Alan, anything in Brice, you particularly like? A trail or overlook?

It’s not a huge place, just walk the standard trails along the top, which are relatively flat and navigable. There are other trails that head down into the rock formations, if you want to get more dirty. Remember that it’s relatively high elevation, so you will feel the lack of air.

Thanks Alan,

Queens Garden hike in Bryce is great. We did it in a day trip from Springdale with our then 7 and 10 year old boys in mid-March. It was chilly but spectacular.

Bryce at sunrise is pretty amazing.
bryce at surise.JPG

Highly recommend Bryce (see my avatar!). The contrast between Zion and Bryce is amazing. Bryce “seen” from the top down (but definitely hike down into the canyon), and Zion “seen” from the bottom up (then do some hikes up the cliffs). Hope you have a great time.

Thank you!

Good to know. Imagine it wouldn’t suck at late afternoon / sunset either. Said to be one of the best places for star gazing. Super dark evening sky.

Funny, my treadmill has that hike on it. Looks great.

Did Bryce and Zion a few years ago. Loved both but really loved Bryce, mostly due to the surreal nature of it and the less crowded aspect. Bit and Spur (previously recommended) is well worth it. There’s also a Mexican place in (what I’d guess to be) an old gas station. Sadly I don’t know the name, and it may only be open for lunch. But it was amazing. And the town’s so small, I suspect you’ll find it if it still exists. Have fun!

Day trip from Bryce to Capitol Reef is a loooong day. There is so much in between, you might not even make it there, especially from Zion. The drive on Hwy 12 is probably the most beautiful drive I’ve ever done. I’d suggest for your Capitol Reef day, plan on overnight at Boulder Mountain Lodge/Hell’s Backbone Grill and then you won’t feel rushed, and it’s a great inn with farm-to-table restaurant with a decent wine list. Calf Creek Falls along the way is a good hike too.