Willamette with toddler

Hi there,

Let me begin by saying I haven’t been the West coast or to an actual vineyard wine tasting.

We are heading to Portland next week and would like to spend a day in the Willamette Valley. Are there wineries in that area that are more welcoming of children? I am not sure what the etiquette is.

There will be 4 adults to watch the toddler so we should have her under control. She is also, in general, a good toddler. There is also the option of leaving her with one of the adults but we’d like to stay together ideally.

Thanks in advance!

newhere

P.S. I did google it but was hoping for more insight from oenophiles than random bloggers!

General etiquette woud be not to bring a child to a tasting. In CA it is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to be an a place that serves alcohol unless it also serves food. Not sure about Oregon.

Ellie,

This should be a help to start-

P Hickner

It’s looking to be quite rainy, keep that in mind if any of the wineries have noted outdoor amenities.

If you’d like to come to Penner Ash message me, we’d love to have you.

Oregon recently changed the rule and now allows children in tasting rooms, with OLCC permission.

bring your kid pretty much anywhere you want in Oregon. There’s a good chance you’d actually see the winemaker’s kid too at places like Matello /Goodfellow, Walter Scott, Johan, etc.

Let me know if you need restaurant recs too. I eat at kid friendly places 90% of the time.

What is meant by “serves food”. If a winery offers bread and/or crackers, is that food? Or offers food for sale?
Just curious what is the delineation.

"Food service is not a requirement of this license. However, if you plan to allow on-site consumption of alcohol (including “tastings”) by customers and you want to allow minor customers (people age 20 and under), you must describe how drinking will not be the predominant activity in the areas and times you will allow minors. Often, the best way to do this is to offer food service in the areas and during the times you will allow minors. The OLCC will work with you during the application process to help you with this issue. "

I’ve brought kids to most wineries in Oregon, Washington, burgundy, and many places in napa and Sonoma. I think it’s common place and most places are very accommodating.

I think general ettiquette is definitely to let the appointment maker know u have little kids. They can then decline your visit for legal/company choice reasons.

Thank you everyone for the insight!

We certainly do not want to do anything illegal or impose on the wineries. I will be straightforward and take it from there.

Thanks again!

If you have time in Portland and don’t know what to do… try OMSI. My kids were obsessed with the place.

http://www.omsi.edu/ Down the street from several breweries, including Hair of the Dog, Cascade :wink:

great rec Andrew!

Another thought, in the event you’re a beer fan - HUB is a great place to grab beer and a pizza. I’m a huge fan of their IPAs and it’s fairly close to I5 / easy to navigate. The Powell location used to have (haven’t been in a few years) a fairly large-sized kids area with toys, books, etc. Was a favorite stop to have several IPAs and hand the car keys over to my wife…

http://hopworksbeer.com/eat/powell

We are thinking about checking out OMSI on one of the rainy days! I am not a huge beer fan but my husband is and loves IPAs so we might check it out. Thanks for the recommendations!

OMSI was great for my kids and the grand kids love going every other week or so. There is a restaurant, view of the river and a rail museum near by.

Goodfellow for sure!

Jason