Paris websites to bookmark

this one is great: http://www.aviewoncities.com/paris/arrondissements.htm

Interactive map to the Metro / RER:

http://www.lost-in-france.com/france-travel/paris-metro-map

Paris Museum Pass - the GREATEST thing every. Never wait in line, just jump right up front and you’re in. I felt guilty doing it some times but it saves hours in line.

This site for just reference as you can buy these at any tobacco shop on every corner in the city, don’t need to buy online.

A little different view: There are better options for museum access than the Paris Museum Pass. Individual tickets to the Louvre, Orsay, Orangerie (and combo Orsay/Orangerie), Picasso, Versailles can be purchased with cash at the tabac shop in the Carrousel du Louvre. Additionally, tickets to the above, and tickets to art exhibitions and galleries throughout Paris not covered by the Paris Museum Pass like the Grand Palais, Marmottan, Centre Pompidou special exhibitions, etc can be purchased in advance at any FNAC electronics/entertainment/books department store for a small very small booking charge. While the Paris Museum Pass may suit the purposes of a short visit, I find that buying individual tix allows for greater flexibility (most don’t expire for a year, or more) and unless one plans to cram days full of museum visits, it is much less expensive. The special line/head of the line priority applies equally to anyone holding a ticket or museum pass. As a practical consideration, the only museums that typically have lines to be avoided are the Louvre, Pompidou (only at opening), Orsay, Orangerie, and maybe but not usually, the Rodin. Special exhibitions (like the big ones at the Grand Palais, for example) are not covered by the museum pass, by the way, and must be booked for a specific entry time in advance (FNAC or online), or you wait in line, often for a long time.

The following site lists the closing days of all Paris museums and monuments:

I’ve found these helpful:

Also,

John Talbott’s Paris:

Patricia Wells’ Food Lovers Guide to Paris is now available as an iOS app:
http://www.patriciawells.com/the-food-lovers-guide-to-paris/

Le Fooding: Restaurants, hotels and bars in Paris and across France - Fooding ®

RATP public transportation information and journey planner, available as a smartphone app or website

Mobile Voice/Data
Orange France ‘Holiday’ SIM Card: Offres prépayées Orange mobile
39,99€
French phone number
120 min + 1000 texts
international calls and texts from European zone
10GB of mobile data valid in European zone

• Orange Wifi free & unlimited
    Validity of the credit : 14 days after 1st use.
    Rechargeable with another Holiday plan or any prepaid topup (there are several prepaid plans)
    Purchase at any Orange Boutique. You will need your passport.

SFR is another French cellular provider. We have found that Orange France has better coverage and more/better prepaid plans.

My wife and I have kept our prepaid Orange France SIMs for years (requires a minimum 10€ topup every 6 months, or they expire). When in France, we use the prepaid Orange Max 30€/month, which includes unlimited calls/texts in France and 4GB of mobile data in France. Additional 2GB data topups are available for 10€ and are stackable. Prepaid international calling plans are also available.

Paris Transportation Passes

We use weekly and monthly Navigo unlimited travel passes (good for metro, bus, RER, etc). Available at any manned Metro Station. You will need a small photo (there are usually photo machines in the stations, if not stop by a Monoprix). The Metro cashier may tell you that Navigo passes are for residents only; while once true, they are now available to anyone. Monthly passes start on the first calendar day of the month and expire on the last. Weekly passes start at 12:01am on Monday mornings and expire at 12:00 midnight on Sunday. Weekly passes for the current week are available to purchase until Thursday, after which they will start the following Monday.

Paris Visite tourist transportation passes are also available for 1, 3, or 5 days. They are considerably more expensive than Navigo passes and are aimed toward tourists who want the convenience of a pass, but aren’t interested in (or don’t know about) a Monday-Sunday weekly Navigo pass.

First of all, I thought the paris by arrondisment site to be insipid. For example, the 11th which is not the hipster capital of Paris had no reference to it being the dining hotspot.

Please don’t forget Wendy Whitehurst’s great site -www.wendylyn.paris/ . Her tours are incredible and she knows every hot chef in the city.

i’ll just bookmark this thread.

This is wonderful. Thanks!!!

This. Wendy is a FANTASTIC resource and a lot of fun. She knows EVERYONE.

Paris By Mouth is good but very slow to update, something I find frustrating sometimes.