Traverse City and surrounding area tips?

I have been venturing to a family cottage on Crystal Lake once a yearner decades . It seems I discover something new or changed every year. Any recommendations for restaurants, wineries or activities especially near Crystal, Frankfort and the local area?

It’s been years since I’ve been up there, but let me say, one of my favorite areas in the whole world. The only winery up there I still follow is L.Mawby and they’re a must visit. Other old favorites, like Bel Lago or Lelaneau Cellars, it’s been so long, I hesitate to recommend.

Spend a day exploring Sleeping Bear dunes. The rural areas of Lelaneau are great, smoked fish from the docks in Leland, all great memories but again no recent experience.

Blake,

Is been a few years since i’ve been up there but, at least back then, Cooks House in Traverse City was the pick of the restaurants. In general the standard of food in most restaurants was good+, although rarely superb.

Of the wineries - Two Lads, Brys and Chateau Grand Traverse (their picture labels) are my pick of the Old Mission peninsula. All make very fine whites and are capable of good reds in warm vintages.

L Mawby is the pick of Leelanau peninsula, although i am sure there are some good ones i haven’t tried.

Jolly pumpkin brewery on old mission also makes some great beer.

Clayton

Spent a week last summer in a place right on Lake Michigan in Empire.

From a restaurant perspective, we found some decent (not fabulous) meals at places up in Glen Arbor - La Becasse (French), Trattoria Funistrada (Italian), Blu, etc. I’m sure there are some places in Traverse City proper, but we didn’t venture over there much on our trip.

From a wine perspective, I agree that L Mawby is the highlight of the area. Make sure to ask there about what library bubbles they have available. In general, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the sparking wine in the area. Bowers Harbor Vineyards also had some good sparkling wine. In Traverse City itself, I’d recommend tasting at Left Foot Charlie. Decent lineup overall, and the Lemberger I had there was the best red I tasted on the trip (then again, that’s wasn’t a high bar, as the reds I tasted in the area were pretty disappointing overall).

Oh yes, forgot to mention Left Foot Charley… definitely go there too.

Thanks Larry. I`ve had a good visit at L. Mawby and know the Dunes and surrounding area well having climbed them from age 5 on. I do love some of the restaurants on the Lelaneau area, but they are an hour drive or so and limit wine consumption considerably if at all.

Been there and enjoyed it. Decent wines and expansive tasting room. Located near some fine restaurants as well.

If you make it to Leland, don’t forget the Chubby Mary at the Cove

We’ll be up in Northport in a couple of weeks, which makes access a little easier

We visited there fora week last summer and enjoyed a tasting at Bonobo winery. They have some whites and roses with local grapes but they also have a syrah that we enjoyed with Grapes sourced from Walla Walla.

Good to know. I have had problems getting behind many of the local white grapes. The tend to be really sour and bitter. I`ll be happy to find some more approachable.
Walla Walla is a long ways to source from, but a good one at that.

DO you like beer?
I would definitely go to Stormcloud in Frankfort.
Also, get takeout from Port City Smokehouse.

In TC, 7 Monks for beer, Stella for food (I’m sure you know it), Low Bar - cocktails. I also like amical.

Love beer and enjoyed Stormcloud last summer and shall return. Also love Stella and have been there many times. Thanks for all the recs.

Hit left foot Charlie’s prior to dinner at Stella or Pepe Nero. Best wineries are noted but I’ll second mawbys and Big Little (part of mawbys), and Brys. Food I’ll second Blu, funistrada, la bicasse. New place in tc that is very good is alliance. Cooks house also very good.

For beer check out Rarebird.

Enjoy

Seth, you have actually seconded Cooks House as our neighbour who is a year round resident just emailed me about this place as a must do.

Ate at Arcadia Bluffs last night and it was phenomenal. It had been 3 years since last dining there and the menu and service was way better and deserving of the higher fare. I got better treatment in the dining room than I did on the golf course. It`s beautiful, but brutal.

Additionally, I have eaten at Riverside Inn in Leland, Coho in Frankfort, Roadhouse Mexican Restaurant in Benzonia and take out from Spanglish in Traverse City. All are very good in their own speciality and highly recommended.
Arcadia Bluffs gets the vote for the high end, classiest.
Riverside Inn is very good, but real noisy and not conducive to a table conversation.
Coho is very consistent with pretty much the same menu over years and very good seafood, salads and wine list.
Roadhouse is one of the best Mexican restaurants I`ve ever eaten in. Long wait is the usual= 30-45 minutes.
Soanglish is a small place more conducive to take out. Excellent, fresh and homemade.

I’m thinking of taking a trip to Traverse City (area) this summer and am looking for any recommendations on hotels? Any thoughts for a first timer? Thanks!

Hotel Indigo and Holiday Inn are on opposite ends of town, both walkable to downtown.
Indigo is newer but Holiday Inn was renovated a few years ago.
These are the two I would recommend.
Oh yes, ifyiu have kids there is a water park hotel - great wolf lodge

Photos from Crystal Lake in early and mid April:
thumbnail_SAM_3090.jpg
thumbnail_SAM_3075.jpg
thumbnail_SAM_3052.jpg
thumbnail_SAM_3062.jpg
thumbnail_SAM_3072.jpg

2 more update photos of Crystal Lake, one easier in the month and one later on. The title of the pics was “Frozen not Stirred then Stirred not Frozen”.
thumbnail_SAM_3095.jpg