Anyone use Global Entry Program?

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics
Message
Author
User avatar
Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5797
Joined: May 2nd, 2010, 11:17 pm
Location: Santa Barbara

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#351 Post by Blake Brown » October 31st, 2016, 12:26 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:
c fu wrote:
Steven Miller wrote:A JFK nightmare motivated me to sign up for GE. I just renewed. Worth the hassle and every penny paid and then some.
when you renew do you just pay the fee? or still have to go interview with them?
Sign into your GOES account online and renew. No interview.

https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/goes/jsp/l ... 1809534833
Sweet
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Cole Kendall
Posts: 765
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 7:58 am

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#352 Post by Cole Kendall » October 31st, 2016, 5:50 pm

I renewed through the site with no other issues.

lsmorris
Posts: 61
Joined: November 10th, 2016, 2:46 pm

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#353 Post by lsmorris » November 20th, 2016, 12:32 pm

Joe Dulworth wrote:GE is worth every freaking dime and then some. Rest assured.
Truer words never spoken. The wife and I came back from Paris into Newark with just carry-on luggage. I didn't realize there were GE lines for Customs as well. The "regular" line was at least 50 people long times 3 lines - for GE the guy in front of us cleared as we were walking up. I can say I have taken longer to get to the car arriving from Kansas City as we did from Paris.

Reminds me of EZ Pass when it first came out. It pays for itself the first time you use it. I can't imagine it will always be like this as folks catch on.
Laurence

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4310
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#354 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 20th, 2016, 12:45 pm

lsmorris wrote:
Joe Dulworth wrote:GE is worth every freaking dime and then some. Rest assured.
Truer words never spoken. The wife and I came back from Paris into Newark with just carry-on luggage. I didn't realize there were GE lines for Customs as well. The "regular" line was at least 50 people long times 3 lines - for GE the guy in front of us cleared as we were walking up. I can say I have taken longer to get to the car arriving from Kansas City as we did from Paris.

Reminds me of EZ Pass when it first came out. It pays for itself the first time you use it. I can't imagine it will always be like this as folks catch on.
Some times, it's good to be part of the top 5%.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

Scott Jameson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 485
Joined: April 1st, 2009, 6:26 am
Location: Houston, TX

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#355 Post by Scott Jameson » November 25th, 2016, 6:21 am

lsmorris wrote:Reminds me of EZ Pass when it first came out. It pays for itself the first time you use it. I can't imagine it will always be like this as folks catch on.
Global Entry has been around for 7 or 8 years now. While the program is still growing, I suspect most of those who benefit from it probably have it (if they can get it) and the cost will remain a deterrent to the infrequent international traveler. Also, from the airports I've seen, the government has done a good job of adding kiosks and separate lines to keep up with increased demand. In my experience, it's just as efficient as it was when I first used it 7 years ago.

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5026
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:15 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#356 Post by Michael Bowden » February 2nd, 2017, 12:46 pm

Finally got my notification that it's time to renew or that my GE would be expiring soon...so, I rushed onto the site and it's not expiring until August....debating about adding the APEC portion of the card....any thoughts to doing that? Any special requirements, etc..?
I'm taller than Zach Lang.

It's Michael.....not Mike, Mark, Mick, Mikey...get it? got it? good.

Good fries are better than great tater tots.

Don Brazelton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 59
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 6:54 am

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#357 Post by Don Brazelton » February 2nd, 2017, 1:28 pm

A major time saver for LAX in November.

User avatar
AndrewH
Posts: 2307
Joined: May 14th, 2010, 1:34 pm

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#358 Post by AndrewH » February 11th, 2017, 2:41 pm

Scott Jameson wrote:
lsmorris wrote:Reminds me of EZ Pass when it first came out. It pays for itself the first time you use it. I can't imagine it will always be like this as folks catch on.
Global Entry has been around for 7 or 8 years now. While the program is still growing, I suspect most of those who benefit from it probably have it (if they can get it) and the cost will remain a deterrent to the infrequent international traveler. Also, from the airports I've seen, the government has done a good job of adding kiosks and separate lines to keep up with increased demand. In my experience, it's just as efficient as it was when I first used it 7 years ago.
Plus, CBP is now adding "Mobile Passport" app and other mechanisms of semi-automated clearance for other travelers. For infrequent travelers, there may be less of an incentive to sign up.
Andrew H e i m e r t

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5026
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:15 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#359 Post by Michael Bowden » February 12th, 2017, 11:15 am

And benefit to having both GE and Clear?
I'm taller than Zach Lang.

It's Michael.....not Mike, Mark, Mick, Mikey...get it? got it? good.

Good fries are better than great tater tots.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4618
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#360 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » February 14th, 2017, 7:13 pm

Michael Bowden wrote:And benefit to having both GE and Clear?
Clear has limited airports and it's more expensive by far. Clear doesn't do anything for international travel. Get GE for $100 for 5 years as it includes TSA Pre. If you have to ask about Clear, it's obviously not worth the $179 a year to you.

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5026
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:15 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#361 Post by Michael Bowden » February 14th, 2017, 8:26 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
Michael Bowden wrote:And benefit to having both GE and Clear?
Clear has limited airports and it's more expensive by far. Clear doesn't do anything for international travel. Get GE for $100 for 5 years as it includes TSA Pre. If you have to ask about Clear, it's obviously not worth the $179 a year to you.

Well, I already have GE so, I don't have to worry about that....and as to Clear I'm aware of the expense and actually get a discount to to my DL status. So, just trying to see if it's worth having both. Oh, and Clear is at my home airport.
I'm taller than Zach Lang.

It's Michael.....not Mike, Mark, Mick, Mikey...get it? got it? good.

Good fries are better than great tater tots.

User avatar
Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4736
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 8:30 am
Location: New York/Paris

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#362 Post by Michel Abood » February 27th, 2017, 5:27 am

Interesting experience coming back through JFK from Paris last night. Customs was MOBBED, either through sheer volume (it did seem like several long hauls landed simultaneously) or more rigid enforcement.

I scanned my passport and fingerprints, but on the first pass it said my fingers were at an angle so I had to redo it. Then when I got the receipt, there was a big X where my info is and a stamp saying REPORT TO PASSPORT CONTROL. They put me in the Diplomat line and I spoke with a CBP officer who was very nice and friendly and who claimed I had been flagged due to the misalignment of my fingers. Turns out he was a winelover and had just spent Saturday on the North Fork too.

Still, with everything going on, I do wonder if we as GE members will get some more screening.
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

Brian King
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 375
Joined: May 1st, 2010, 6:37 pm

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#363 Post by Brian King » February 27th, 2017, 6:53 am

Michael -
I just returned through Newark yesterday from Barcelona. I got the extra screening in Barcelona (relatively light) and then again in Newark (took almost 2 hours missing my connection). The new screening is VERY SLOW - they literally swab everything in your bag and run it through their scanners. Unfortunately for me, my tablet came back as questionable - so they had to get their bomb expert to determine the testing was just an error. If you get pulled for this screening, good luck.

One piece of advice to travelers coming from overseas that the fine TSA folks shared with me... IF you get a random screening overseas and have a US-connection, your boarding pass will NOT be TSA pre-check. If you then try to print another one to get your TSE pre on the boarding pass, it will automatically spill you into the full security screening check (SSSS on your ticket). The advice is if you have a clean boarding pass, just go to the non-TSA Pre line and grin and bear it - it's better than the alternative.

User avatar
Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4736
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 8:30 am
Location: New York/Paris

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#364 Post by Michel Abood » February 28th, 2017, 8:10 am

Brian King wrote:Michael -
I just returned through Newark yesterday from Barcelona. I got the extra screening in Barcelona (relatively light) and then again in Newark (took almost 2 hours missing my connection). The new screening is VERY SLOW - they literally swab everything in your bag and run it through their scanners. Unfortunately for me, my tablet came back as questionable - so they had to get their bomb expert to determine the testing was just an error. If you get pulled for this screening, good luck.

One piece of advice to travelers coming from overseas that the fine TSA folks shared with me... IF you get a random screening overseas and have a US-connection, your boarding pass will NOT be TSA pre-check. If you then try to print another one to get your TSE pre on the boarding pass, it will automatically spill you into the full security screening check (SSSS on your ticket). The advice is if you have a clean boarding pass, just go to the non-TSA Pre line and grin and bear it - it's better than the alternative.
That sucks, sorry to hear Brian. My bags didn't get examined, which is good as I would have had to explain why I had 2kgs of vacuum-wrapped Bordier butter bricks... champagne.gif
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

User avatar
CliftonD
Posts: 162
Joined: January 3rd, 2017, 1:00 pm
Location: Queens, NY

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#365 Post by CliftonD » February 28th, 2017, 8:51 am

Mobile Passport line at JFK runs parallel to Global Entry. Having both, you can easily just pick the shortest line and be on your merry way.
D - o - n - g

User avatar
Steven Miller
Posts: 2319
Joined: December 14th, 2009, 7:23 am
Location: Portland, OR

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#366 Post by Steven Miller » February 28th, 2017, 9:24 am

I haven't tried Mobile Passport. What differences does it have in terms of moving past the human checkpoints with GE?
tread lightly

S cott Gurtman
Posts: 32
Joined: March 9th, 2015, 12:05 pm

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#367 Post by S cott Gurtman » February 28th, 2017, 9:59 am

ive heard from my friends that the company CLEAR is way better if the airport has it than GLOBAL entry

User avatar
CliftonD
Posts: 162
Joined: January 3rd, 2017, 1:00 pm
Location: Queens, NY

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#368 Post by CliftonD » February 28th, 2017, 11:54 am

Steven Miller wrote:I haven't tried Mobile Passport. What differences does it have in terms of moving past the human checkpoints with GE?
It's very similar in my experience.

When you land, you can do everything on your phone opposed to going to the kiosk.

There's a line that runs parallel to GE. After the baggage check area, there is another line that runs parallel to GE as well to get past customs.

It's possibly that GE may get priority over Mobile Passport if both lines were long, but I haven't experienced that yet.

Also, it's free. (Well, if you have a credit card that reimburses GE - that should be free as well). But there isn't an application process. However, only available in certain airports as they roll it out. Consider downloading it - doesn't take long to set up.
D - o - n - g

User avatar
Steven Miller
Posts: 2319
Joined: December 14th, 2009, 7:23 am
Location: Portland, OR

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#369 Post by Steven Miller » February 28th, 2017, 12:20 pm

Does it get you TSApre? I don't mind paying $20 a year for GE when it also gets me TSApre 99% of the time.

< 1% of the time I get selected to go thru regular. Just got the dreaded SSSS selection for the first time in years.
tread lightly

Jeff Bloom
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 629
Joined: April 27th, 2009, 7:00 am
Location: Vienna, VA

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#370 Post by Jeff Bloom » February 28th, 2017, 1:42 pm

S cott Gurtman wrote:ive heard from my friends that the company CLEAR is way better if the airport has it than GLOBAL entry
The two are not comparable. CLEAR is an alternative/supplement to TSA Pre-check. Global Entry is for Customs and Immigration.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4618
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#371 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » February 28th, 2017, 2:34 pm

Steven Miller wrote:Does it get you TSApre? I don't mind paying $20 a year for GE when it also gets me TSApre 99% of the time.

< 1% of the time I get selected to go thru regular. Just got the dreaded SSSS selection for the first time in years.
Get GE for $100 and you'll get TSA Pre, much better than$85 for TSA pre alone.

A Rubin Stein
Posts: 197
Joined: September 13th, 2013, 4:47 pm

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#372 Post by A Rubin Stein » March 1st, 2017, 7:16 am

Two questions:

1. For NYC area folks, has anyone scheduled an appointment somewhere other than JFK? The GOES website gives "American Express" and the US Customs House in Manhattan as options, but neither ever seems to be available and JFK seems like the only actual option.

2. How long after the interview does one receive their card? Do you get it on the spot or in the mail following the interview?

Thank you.
a s h e r

User avatar
Steven Miller
Posts: 2319
Joined: December 14th, 2009, 7:23 am
Location: Portland, OR

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#373 Post by Steven Miller » March 1st, 2017, 7:25 am

For question 2:

You don't need the *card*. If you pass the interview the # will show up almost immediately on the GOES website. You can then copy & paste into your preferred airline profiles.
tread lightly

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3588
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#374 Post by Ramon C » March 1st, 2017, 7:47 am

Once you pass the interview, they also provide you your GE number on the spot, for your immediate use.
@brera

User avatar
Steven Miller
Posts: 2319
Joined: December 14th, 2009, 7:23 am
Location: Portland, OR

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#375 Post by Steven Miller » March 1st, 2017, 7:50 am

Ramon C wrote:Once you pass the interview, they also provide you your GE number on the spot, for your immediate use.
That's a change since I did the interview 6 years ago. Nice.
tread lightly

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3588
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#376 Post by Ramon C » March 1st, 2017, 8:09 am

Steven Miller wrote:
Ramon C wrote:Once you pass the interview, they also provide you your GE number on the spot, for your immediate use.
That's a change since I did the interview 6 years ago. Nice.
I don't know if this or anything else had changed. My interview was 4+ years ago.
@brera

User avatar
Steven Miller
Posts: 2319
Joined: December 14th, 2009, 7:23 am
Location: Portland, OR

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#377 Post by Steven Miller » March 1st, 2017, 9:28 am

Could also be a difference from interviewer to interviewer. The best reason to pay extra for the card is it serves as ID. If you live in a state that is failing to meet the REAL ID law you can leave your passport at home and use your GOE card to get through security for domestic travel.
tread lightly

Jeff Bloom
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 629
Joined: April 27th, 2009, 7:00 am
Location: Vienna, VA

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#378 Post by Jeff Bloom » March 1st, 2017, 12:27 pm

Steven Miller wrote:The best reason to pay extra for the card is it serves as ID. If you live in a state that is failing to meet the REAL ID law you can leave your passport at home and use your GOE card to get through security for domestic travel.
I didn't pay extra for the card; it was sent automatically.

There are situations where you need it. In some places where US Customs and Immigration has facilities outside the country (i.e. certain Canadian cities, Aruba), some agents will not let you in the Global Entry line if you don't have the card.

User avatar
Steven Miller
Posts: 2319
Joined: December 14th, 2009, 7:23 am
Location: Portland, OR

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#379 Post by Steven Miller » March 1st, 2017, 1:39 pm

They used to charge extra for the card.
tread lightly

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4618
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#380 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » March 1st, 2017, 2:19 pm

Steven Miller wrote:They used to charge extra for the card.
I don't recall that. You can also be expedited through security after your interview or at least I was offered that six years ago after my interview.

User avatar
Steven Miller
Posts: 2319
Joined: December 14th, 2009, 7:23 am
Location: Portland, OR

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#381 Post by Steven Miller » March 1st, 2017, 4:19 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
Steven Miller wrote:They used to charge extra for the card.
I don't recall that. You can also be expedited through security after your interview or at least I was offered that six years ago after my interview.
Back then they pitched the card as useful in only limited circumstances that most people wouldn't need it. Since it appears more reasons to have it have arisen so now it's something everyone gets.
tread lightly

User avatar
andy velebil
Posts: 6628
Joined: February 2nd, 2009, 4:54 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA USA

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#382 Post by andy velebil » March 2nd, 2017, 11:27 am

Steven Miller wrote:
Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
Steven Miller wrote:They used to charge extra for the card.
I don't recall that. You can also be expedited through security after your interview or at least I was offered that six years ago after my interview.
Back then they pitched the card as useful in only limited circumstances that most people wouldn't need it. Since it appears more reasons to have it have arisen so now it's something everyone gets.
And the card works at the ticket counter for the agent to reprint your boarding pass with the precheck on it in case it didn't go through the first time (had that happen to me and the card was the only way to get the agent to print it with tsa precheck on it).
I'm a Port drinking fool!
http://www.fortheloveofport.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ftlop.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ron Erickson
Posts: 4614
Joined: April 26th, 2010, 4:18 pm

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#383 Post by Ron Erickson » March 3rd, 2017, 7:53 am

The European Parliament called on the EU executive on Thursday to force Americans to apply for visas before visiting Europe this summer, stepping up pressure to resolve a long-running transatlantic dispute on the issue.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/european-lawm ... 28707.html

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4310
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#384 Post by Andrew Kotowski » March 3rd, 2017, 11:07 am

Too much money at stake to make a stand for Crete et al. On the bright side, doesn't affect me :)
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3588
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#385 Post by Ramon C » March 3rd, 2017, 1:21 pm

Ron Erickson wrote:The European Parliament called on the EU executive on Thursday to force Americans to apply for visas before visiting Europe this summer, stepping up pressure to resolve a long-running transatlantic dispute on the issue.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/european-lawm ... 28707.html
I'm guessing here, but the potential loss in tourism revenue brought in by US nationals to European nations may be substantial enough for this not to push through.
@brera

User avatar
Steven Miller
Posts: 2319
Joined: December 14th, 2009, 7:23 am
Location: Portland, OR

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#386 Post by Steven Miller » March 3rd, 2017, 6:51 pm

Ramon C wrote:
Ron Erickson wrote:The European Parliament called on the EU executive on Thursday to force Americans to apply for visas before visiting Europe this summer, stepping up pressure to resolve a long-running transatlantic dispute on the issue.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/european-lawm ... 28707.html
I'm guessing here, but the potential loss in tourism revenue brought in by US nationals to European nations may be substantial enough for this not to push through.
The fundamental issue is they want the EU to be treated as a single country. Whereas the US visa waiver program is decided on a country by country basis. Very heavy handed on their part. Those strategies don't always work out as you want. We shall see.
tread lightly

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5026
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:15 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#387 Post by Michael Bowden » April 19th, 2017, 6:00 am

Michael O'Brien wrote:
Steven Miller wrote:Just renewed Global Entry. Wasn't sure if I would need to repeat the interview, but nope. Re-Approved til my birthday in 2021.
It seems like some do and some don't have to do another interview and fingerprinting session. A few months ago, my wife and I had to go to a renewal interview and be fingerprinted again. Our daughter just renewed and she doesn't have to go. We start the renewal process several months in advance although it doesn't affect the expiration date.
I did not have to go back in for another interview or fingerprinting session.
I'm taller than Zach Lang.

It's Michael.....not Mike, Mark, Mick, Mikey...get it? got it? good.

Good fries are better than great tater tots.

Chris S p i k e s
Posts: 2787
Joined: February 12th, 2009, 10:48 pm

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#388 Post by Chris S p i k e s » April 21st, 2017, 7:54 pm

Michael Bowden wrote:
Michael O'Brien wrote:
Steven Miller wrote:Just renewed Global Entry. Wasn't sure if I would need to repeat the interview, but nope. Re-Approved til my birthday in 2021.
It seems like some do and some don't have to do another interview and fingerprinting session. A few months ago, my wife and I had to go to a renewal interview and be fingerprinted again. Our daughter just renewed and she doesn't have to go. We start the renewal process several months in advance although it doesn't affect the expiration date.
I did not have to go back in for another interview or fingerprinting session.
Not exactly apples to apples, but I was originally told that when we applied for new passports due to expiration of those, we would have to come back in for an in person update. That must have been changed because both my wife and 7 year old daughter had to get new ones recently and were able to add the new passports online. None of us have reached the point of GE renewal yet.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4618
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#389 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » July 13th, 2017, 3:14 pm

Just renewed my passport. Apparently, they no longer return your expired passport.

User avatar
Steven Miller
Posts: 2319
Joined: December 14th, 2009, 7:23 am
Location: Portland, OR

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#390 Post by Steven Miller » July 13th, 2017, 6:52 pm

It will come separately.
tread lightly

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4310
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#391 Post by Andrew Kotowski » July 15th, 2017, 6:28 pm

Used GOES in SLC today. Same issue as in Seattle.... takes me 2 minutes to get through immigration, but the luggage wait is still the same. We're just effectively putting off where I wait, as my travel partner was a French-Moroccan guy that got at 10 minutes before I did because his baggage came up first ;) Not an issue if you carry-on, but I'm schlepping wine/champagne (of course).
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

Cole Kendall
Posts: 765
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 7:58 am

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#392 Post by Cole Kendall » August 1st, 2017, 6:46 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:Used GOES in SLC today. Same issue as in Seattle.... takes me 2 minutes to get through immigration, but the luggage wait is still the same. We're just effectively putting off where I wait, as my travel partner was a French-Moroccan guy that got at 10 minutes before I did because his baggage came up first ;) Not an issue if you carry-on, but I'm schlepping wine/champagne (of course).
AT JFK, the customs (post-baggage claim) line can be long (at least in the AA terminal where I usually arrive). GE puts you at the front of the line, so even with the wait for baggage there is still a benefit.

User avatar
todd waldmann
Posts: 5229
Joined: June 5th, 2009, 7:51 pm
Location: boise, idaho

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#393 Post by todd waldmann » August 4th, 2017, 3:05 pm

As someone who doesn't check bags when traveling internationally, GOES is a life changer. Less than 5 minutes to get to the curb to wait for a ride.
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP

User avatar
Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4736
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 8:30 am
Location: New York/Paris

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#394 Post by Michel Abood » August 4th, 2017, 4:35 pm

todd waldmann wrote:As someone who doesn't check bags when traveling internationally, GOES is a life changer. Less than 5 minutes to get to the curb to wait for a ride.
7 minutes from plane door to my fat butt in a cab at JFK coming back from Milan last week. There were a ton of kiosks that were available, and I waltzed past hundreds of other passengers. Love love love this.
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

User avatar
John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16625
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 2:09 pm
Location: Gotham

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#395 Post by John Morris » August 6th, 2017, 8:45 am

Michel Abood wrote:There were a ton of kiosks that were available....
Were they functioning? My brother and sister-in-law arrived a few weeks ago at JFK Terminal one most of the kiosks were out of order. I experienced that at the AA terminal in January.

My in-laws are not US citizens and it took them 2.5 hours to clear immigration. Welcome to America!
"I'm a Frisbeetarian. We worship frisbees. We believe when you die your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down." – Jim Stafford

"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

User avatar
Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4736
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 8:30 am
Location: New York/Paris

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#396 Post by Michel Abood » August 7th, 2017, 4:58 pm

John Morris wrote:
Michel Abood wrote:There were a ton of kiosks that were available....
Were they functioning? My brother and sister-in-law arrived a few weeks ago at JFK Terminal one most of the kiosks were out of order. I experienced that at the AA terminal in January.

My in-laws are not US citizens and it took them 2.5 hours to clear immigration. Welcome to America!
I didn't really pay attention to the other kiosks, and no one was using them so can't really say. This was the Delta International Terminal (4?).
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

User avatar
John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16625
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 2:09 pm
Location: Gotham

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#397 Post by John Morris » August 8th, 2017, 7:45 am

Michel Abood wrote:
John Morris wrote:
Michel Abood wrote:There were a ton of kiosks that were available....
Were they functioning? My brother and sister-in-law arrived a few weeks ago at JFK Terminal one most of the kiosks were out of order. I experienced that at the AA terminal in January.

My in-laws are not US citizens and it took them 2.5 hours to clear immigration. Welcome to America!
I didn't really pay attention to the other kiosks, and no one was using them so can't really say. This was the Delta International Terminal (4?).
Probably because they were out of order.
"I'm a Frisbeetarian. We worship frisbees. We believe when you die your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down." – Jim Stafford

"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

User avatar
Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4736
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 8:30 am
Location: New York/Paris

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#398 Post by Michel Abood » August 8th, 2017, 9:51 am

John Morris wrote:
Michel Abood wrote: I didn't really pay attention to the other kiosks, and no one was using them so can't really say. This was the Delta International Terminal (4?).
Probably because they were out of order.
[rofl.gif]
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

User avatar
John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16625
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 2:09 pm
Location: Gotham

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#399 Post by John Morris » August 10th, 2017, 3:05 pm

And I wasn't joking.

(I applied for GEP this week, prompted by this thread.)
"I'm a Frisbeetarian. We worship frisbees. We believe when you die your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down." – Jim Stafford

"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

Cole Kendall
Posts: 765
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 7:58 am

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#400 Post by Cole Kendall » October 4th, 2017, 6:09 am

I think two or three of the 8 (?) AA GE at JFK kiosks were not working on Sunday. There was a line of about five to ten people waiting for those that worked.

Post Reply

Return to “Travel Forum”