Planning Mosel trip, could use some guidance

Hi guys,

My wife and I love riesling from the Mosel and we are starting to think of taking a trip there this coming spring in March or April for about a week. I perused through some of the older threads for hotel and restaurant recommendations, etc, but thought I could use some direction.

We looked at the recommended hotels and have narrowed it down to these three, but are open to suggestions. We enjoy and were planning to try to visit J.J. Prum, Selbach-Oster, Egon Muller, among others, and wanted to make sure we would be staying at a hotel within reasonable distance of these:

Zeltingen Hof (Zeltingen): http://www.zeltinger-hof.de/hotel/cms/front_content.php?idart=43&idcat=43&lang=2
Romantik Jugendstilhotel Bellevue (Traben-Trarbach): Romantik Jugendstilhotel Bellevue
Hotel Villa Hugel (Trier): http://www.hotel-villa-huegel.de/en/

Since we were planning to be in the Mosel for a week, are there any good day trips you all recommend to take a break from wine tasting?

My auction buddies always stay at Hugel, whereas I like the Eurener Hof. Both are good.

Consider staying and eating at Schanz in Piesport. Proper 2* and best to stay as taxis barely exist.

Muller is a long(ish) way from the hotels you mention. 30-40 minutes drive.

If you don’t already subscribe to Mosel Fine Wines they have an amazing travel guide for the Mosel, I would highly recommend coming here in April as we typically have great weather during this month and more places are just coming off of their break in March (most places here are closed in March). Also, if you don’t plan on renting a car I would recommend staying in a more centralized city like Bernkastel since it’s in the heart of the Middle Mosel. One more thing that is often overlooked is the Mosel Radweg, this is a great part of the mosel, simply rent a bike and ride up or down the Mosel and enjoy the natural beauty while stopping for a glass of wine or food whenever need be. Oh yeah, don’t focus solely on the major producers here, find small producers in the top vineyard sites, a fun way to do this is to talk with the major producers and they will all point you to a small unknown (for the most part) winery that is making great wine. I.E Barbara Selbach pointed us to Gessinger in Zeltingen. I’ve lived here for quite a few years now so feel free to contact me with any questions you have.

Looks like we’re planning our trip for March 31-April 8! Getting very excited but have lots of planning to still do.

We think we’ll probably just want to stay in the middle Mosel so we don’t have to drive too far on any particular day. How far are the Nahe and Pfalz from the area, and are there other towns we should be considering staying in that might be a little more bustling/have a nightlife?

There is little proper nightlife outside of Trier. Bernkastel and Traaben Traabach are as close as you will get but not bustling. Especially off season.

Nahe and Pfalz a couple of hours away.