Rome Hotel

Hi everyone - any preferences or recommendations between the Westin Excelsior and the St. Regis in Rome. Trying to use Starwood points.

We stayed at the Westin a long time ago, but never the St. Regis. Thoughts?

Can’t tell you anything about those two hotels, Lori, but I can recommend an outstanding B&B where we spent five nights a couple of years back–the Locando del Sole. Excellent location and breakfasts and very nice proprietors. We were in the Berger Suite.

I can’t help either, Lori, but I’d sure like to know what you find out about the Westin. I’ve got points to burn

Thanks! I’m trying to use Starwood Points for a “free” room!

I’ll report back. We stayed at the St. Regis in Florence and I’m leaning that way in Rome as well.

Well, the best of luck with the points, Lori. Incidentally, how was the St. Regis in Florence? We’re pondering a winter visit to that city.

The St Regis Florence was fantastic. We were updated to a river front suite - amazing frescoes in the room. Lovely. It’s more quiet and refined than the Westin. Both are great hotels.

Imho the Westin is in a much better area , which is via Veneto. The St Regis is near the train station , it’s kind of seedier and dirtier

Thanks, Lori–much appreciated!

I am not crazy about either location, but agree with Riccardo. From things I have heard, I would not want to stay near the train station. I have not looked at a map, but assuming Riccardo is right about the location of the St. Regis, I would stay at the Westin. For me, the via Veneto is a bit out of the way (we like to stay nearer to the Pantheon, which is walking distance from a lot of sights and restaurants), but I would prefer out of the way and safe to not safe.

Thanks Riccardo and Howard. I wasn’t thrilled with the location of the Westin the last time we stayed. I’m checking on the train station issue - all reports is that it’s about a 10 min walk from hotel and that It is quite central to some sites. I’m guessing we won’t be out strolling after dark. So still leaning toward the St Regis, particularly if all of the room renovations are done. I hear the public space renos that are complete are fantastic.

I stayed at the Westin and loved it. We were there for an event that was held at the St. Regis. I only saw the conference rooms / public spaces at the St. Regis – it’s a beautiful hotel…

Thanks Chris!

Also stayed at the Westin and and also loved it.

JD

Just back from Italy and thought I’d give an update on the St. Regis. The hotel has recently undergone a renovation of the public rooms (they are stunning) but the renovations in the rooms continue and the concierge mentioned that currently the completed ones are only going to “test” cases and certain groups. It’s not quite up to the standards of the St Regis in Florence or the Maria Cristina in San Sebastián for comparison purposes - but similar to the Westin in Rome based on our last visit.

The location is fine - the hotel is steps away from Eataly (very convenient for lugging wine backbto the hotel) and a short walk to Piazza Barberini and the Quirnale — and just a little further to the Trevi Fountain. We walked all over from the Vatican to the hotel and then to the Forum and Colosseum. The neighborhoods felt safe even at night.

The valet and bell staff is fantastic and friendly - couldn’t ask for more. Ok for a short visit in the city.