Had my first Singapore Sling in...

Where do you think?

My wife and I stopped in to the Raffles Hotel (currently under renovation) to have the well known Singapore Sling. Kitschy? Yes. Did we have to? No. Did we? Yes. How can you go to Singapore and not have this drink. It was invented at Raffles over 100 years ago. I’m told they sell 1000 a day. Cost is Singapore $31 + taxes and service charge. Total of $37, or roughly USD$27.

$27 for a drink? The Waldorf Astoria in NYC is roughly $22 if memory serves.

Over rated? Yes. of course. Does it come with bragging rights? Sure. [wink.gif]

A very pleasant late afternoon drink, after a day of touring in the hot, humid Singapore sun.

If you want to make it yourself, it’s not difficult with the exception of the cherry Heering (which goes in nothing else) and the pineapple juice. $US27, wow, I might skip it at that price, even as a piece of cocktail history.

Good work, Dan!

Not the cheapest drink, but unfortunately nothing here is priced how most find it in the rest of the world…

I had one some 20+ years ago at Raffles. Same theory… I’m here so might as well try one. Same when I had a Bellini at Harry’s Bar in Venice some 15 years ago.
Sometimes for fun you overpay just to give it a try.

Did the same almost 20 years ago though I never heard of the cocktail at the time. Fortunately for me the drink was on my wife’s company tab.

Did the same thing in Jan 1, 1994, when visiting on my ship while in the Navy. The price might have been close to the same. Raffles remains a fond memory of a very impressive and historic place. Jan 1st seems to be the only day of the year that Singapore isn’t spotlessly clean. It was also the first day I tried Thai food. That was more impactful over the past 20 something years. I’d love to visit Singapore again.

Give us a shout if you do.

When I first visited 15yrs ago I thought a weekend was plenty. But actually a decent amount to do and see so give yourself a few days!

SQ J from TPE to SIN

Refreshing drink

Nice, Dan! I hope you are hitting some hawker stalls.

My one and only Singapore Sling was SQ F SIN-HKG-SFO as a palate prep for Krug and '06 DP.

We had one at Raffles in Singapore a few years ago. Very iconic, glad I tried it, but too sweet for my taste.The weather dictated a gin & tonic follow-up. flirtysmile

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

I had some during my misspent youth , before I was legal, at a little bar in Miami, circa 1964 (?).

I also had one at Raffles a number of years ago (2009?). Glad I did it, but don’t have a burning desire to do it again… (Kind of like NYE in Times Square, Mardi Gras in New Orleans, and Carnaval in Rio – I’ve done them all)

In agreement with everyone here. Too sweet but glad I did it once. I also spent the night there at Raffles. Nice hotel. They gave me a ride to the airport the next morning in a vintage Rolls.