Trastevere area- Rome

Going to Rome for the first time and know little about the city. We don’t like to stay in the major tourist areas , but still want most attractions to be within 20 minutes walking time. What about the Trastevere area? Any other ideas.

For our most recent trip last September, we stayed in a small hotel right along Largo di Torre Argentina. This area sits just south of Pantheon, north of Jewish Ghetto, and east of Campo di Fiore (and a short walk over the river to Trastevere). We found that area to be a little off the tourists routes, but still walkable to most of the areas we wanted to investigate (though we did cab it to the Vatican).

Our hotel was not that great, but I’d definitely look at other lodging options in that area for our next visit. Plus, we enjoyed having Roman ruins to look at right out in front of our hotel.

My wife and I were in Rome last fall and stayed here

on the Aventine Hill across the river from Trastavere. The area was very nice, upscale residential, easy walk to the Trastavere, which was a fun area to explore. It started raining one night so we ducked into a nearby salumeria figuring we would grab a quick bite and some wine while waiting out the shower. It was tiny and crowded but turned out to be a fabulous little place where we tasted and drank through the menu with a Dutch couple seated next to us (which was like being at the same table). It was right before the election, so lots of talk about politics in U.S. and Europe and a (now obviously) naive conclusion that Hillary was a lock.

We like to walk so it was a good location off the beaten path. I probably wouldn’t stay at the San Pio again unless it was a great deal. It is part of a group so they have other hotels in the area as well. While it did have a great breakfast in the garden area in the morning, they weren’t the most helpful/friendly staff and the room was just okay. It may be a hazard of staying in residential areas, but someone was renovating nearby so hammers/power saws started up early one morning and there was a barking dog one night.

Hope that helps and you have a great time.

We’ve been to Rome a few times and anything in, near or around the Vatican to the Colosseum corridor is a good place to stay. Most of the major sites are between those two, with half the fun getting lost walking the back streets in between. We’ve stayed just north of the Vatican and also right by the train station and both areas are nice, safe, easy walking to everything. We love Rome. Make sure you take the time to slow down and enjoy all the little nooks and crannies, not just the major sites.

This is a good blog filled with lots of good stories, restaurants, off the beaten path stuff in Rome. The writer is a former Denver sports writer who retired to Rome.

For a more upscale hotel to stay in it"s parco dei principi.Out of the way on a small street outside the villa borghese in the consulate area.It’s about a 30 minute walk through the park to the Spanish steps and 15 minutes to via veneto.Great!

Stayed in Trastevere for a week. We were a 15-20 minute walk to the river and took the tram all the time. With the tram watch your wallet and bags. They steal from the locals just as much the tourists.

We stayed in an Airbnb in Trastevere in July 2014 and loved it. 40 minute walk to the Vatican, five minutes to the river. Grocery store nearby, it was great.

Loved staying in the Trastevere area for a week a few years ago. We walked everywhere. Lots of good non-touristy restaurants to choose from.

+1 what Paul said, the block we were the non locals.

We stayed at a very nice small hotel relatively close to the Pantheon. Excellent location and walking distance to many excellent restaurants. http://www.pantheoncollection.com/pantheon-relais/en/luxury-suites-rome/

Very nice and helpful staff plus a beautiful breakfast.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

We have enjoyed Hotel Nazionale, which is near the Pantheon and very convenient to lots of sites.

In Rome, what would staying IN the major tourist area mean? Unless you are going to stay on top of the colluseum (is there really any place to stay there) or the vatican, I don’t know of any place in Rome that would be like staying in Times Square or Piccadilly Circus.

I have been to Trastevere but have not stayed there or walked to there. I could see it being a 20 minute walk from there to the Colluseum, but wouldn’t it be a much longer walk to say the Pantheon, the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, and Vatican.

Howard, I guess it depends where you stay. We were very close to Ponte Garibaldi so could walk to the Fountain, Spanish Steps and Vatican although Vatican was a good walk. We cabbed it to the Coliseum.

Howard, there is a the #8 tram that runs on Viale di Trastevere that is very convenient. We would take it 8 stops to Piazza Venezia. We walked everywhere once we were on the other side of the river.
We walked to the Vatican, took about 45 minutes, but the walk goes through the Parco Giancolo with great panoramic views of Rome.

The area around the Pantheon, Campo Fiori, and Piazza Navona most people would consider to be the modern Rome city center or “downtown”. Everyone likes/wants to stay in this area because you can walk to a great number of Rome sites. Because of its popularity, lodging in the triangle defined by Pantheon, Campo Fiori, and Piazza Navona is more expensive than in other areas. Same with the Spanish steps.

Philip said he wanted a 20 minute walk to attractions, not a tram, although this obviously is up to him.

We got decent hotel prices at Hotel Nazionale, near the Parliament, less than five minutes walk to the Pantheon.

Going off on a tangent but I don’t get why anyone would want to book a hotel room, mostly small in Europe, when they can get an entire apartment for less money.

+1. and don’t miss Da Enzo in the neighborhood.

Philip, Trastevere is nice but I think just a bit secluded (bottom left corner of the city) and touristy for my staying tastes. More authentic? -Check out the Prati area. I have done rentals in this area twice. Just east and north of the Vatican and convenient to everything with the added bonus of its real Roman feel residential class neighborhood. The Metro A line runs right trough it as does many buses and the 19 Tram which can take you practically all around the city with an exchange or two. Pay attention to the strikes that seem to hit out of nowhere though. The Via Cola di Rienzo is right there for some high end shopping, wine and food at one of the two best markets in Rome (Mercato Trionfale & Mercato dell’Unita) and do not miss the Flower Market. Head south on the weekend and do the Porta Portese flea market and do some people watching and then head over the river (twice, east and then north) to the antique fair at the Ponte Milvio (just AVOID the porcetta!). Walk out your door a few block to one of Romes true gems, Hostaria Dino & Toni. Order the Cacio e Pepe. I have many more tips if you’d like. PM me. Have a blast. I am planning another 2 weeks for next April. Prati again.

Must visits in Prati:

Great local Enoteca:

Castroni & Franchi shops Prati-WOW:

–great espresso and decent wines selection. awesome food selections

–great selection of wines, truly. awesome food selections

links I mention above

where I stayed last:
https://www.makemytrip.com/hotels-international/italy/rome-hotels/gloria_apartment-details.html

out of left field—lol

thanks