Travel back in time to the Old West in Virginia City, Nevada!

This is the first of three videos of our exploration of historic Virginia City in Nevada! In this episode, we visit Piper’s Opera House. We had no idea how many famous people had visited Virginia City and how many had performed at the Opera House. Lilli Langtry, Al Jolson, John Phillip Sousa, Maude Adams, Mark Twain (lectured at the first Opera House but Hal Holbrook performed as Mark Twain a century later at the current one), and many others. Enjoy our journey back in time!

M4cMuB5Mb-A

Thanks for the cool post, Lex!

I have been reading about the “Old West” recently. In fact, I just received a copy of Richard Dunlop’s Great Trails of the West (1971) this afternoon!

You’re welcome, Drew!

Sounds like a great book. I’ll have to check that out when I get the chance.

The main drag in Virginia City, Nevada (known as C Street) normally evokes the feeling of an Old West town. The street is filled with old saloons, many of them dating back to the 19th century when the town was in the throes of a silver rush from the discovery of the Comstock Lode in 1859. But on the day that Neek, Sar and I visited, the main feeling that C Street evoked was hunger!

bTrfhmIAOHs

Walking up C Street in Virginia City, Neek, Sar and I decided to explore one last saloon in town. Like the other saloons, this place has a history going back to the 19th century. It also, like some other saloons, has reports of paranormal activity. But there’s something about the Washoe Club that demands a closer look, which is exactly what we gave it!

_ETRrGf87xQ

Watching Bonanza isn’t enough?