Oaxaca, Mexico

Does anyone have any recommendations for restaurants (with decent wine lists) in Oaxaca?

I was there about 18 months ago and had very good meals at Origen and Casa Oaxaca, and a good meal at Las Danzantes.

I don’t recall seeing any wine lists that were interesting apart from having Mexican wines, which aren’t bad.

2012 L. A. Cetto Nebbiolo Reserva Privada - Mexico, Baja California, Valle de Guadalupe (7/2/2016)
395 pesos at Casa Oaxaca. Ripe red fruit nose, palate is smooth and earthy / leathery. Quite nice. (90 pts.)

2014 Union de Productores - Mexico, Baja California, Ensenada, Valle de Califia (6/30/2016)
600 pesos at Origen in Oaxaca. Blend of cab sav, merlot, barbera, mouvedre. Nice deep red fruited nose. Somewhat glycerol mouthfeel with a warm palate and ripe red fruit. Good finish lingers. (90 pts.)

2010 Aborigen Ácrata Portada - Mexico, Baja California (6/28/2016)
1/2 grenache, 14/32 carinena, 1/16 petite syrah, from Baja California. 400ish pesos at Las Danzantes in Oaxaca. Big and warm red-fruited raisiny nose. Rich and glycerol mouthfeel but surprisingly light-bodied. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks Doug – appreciate the recommendations.

Was in Guadalajara last week and tried as many Mexican wines as I could. Nothing outstanding but lots of ambitious efforts. Cetto is one of the bigger and older producers. They make a pretty expensive Syrah that’s not bad, I found it better than the Nebbiolo when I visited them last year. But there’s a lot of work going on right now. We found a really nice rosado Monastrell. My suggestion is to ask some of the local wine stores if you can find any.

I love Oaxacan coffee, so I’d spend some time exploring that. I’ve never been there tho, so don’t have any suggestions unfortunately.

Mezcal.

:slight_smile:

George

+1

We had a couple of excellent meals at Los Danzantes back in 2009 (!); the restaurant had quite an interesting list of Mexican wines.

PM Frank Murray

The only restaurant with a wine list I went to was Los Danzantes. I really liked the steak I ate there. The local beef can be excellent. They seemed to have a good selection of Mexican wine (and mezcal), although I’m certainly not the best judge of Mexican wine lists.

If you want to try market stall type food in Oaxaca City, go to the Mercado 20 de Noviembre. I liked the stall called Fonda Sofi in particular, but look for any counter with plenty of locals and you’re sure to have a good meal. No wine list, though!

For tasting and buying mezcal in the city, my favorite stops were the cooperative producers’ shop Unión de Palenqueros de Oaxaca, and the Del Maguey tasting room.

Disclaimer: based on a trip in 2011.

Where are you staying?

George

Hotel Palacio Borghese