Philadelphia

Just back from a quick overnight in Philly and I have to say I really love the place. On Tuesday, we had a couple of errands to run (including a stop at the best tea shop I know of in this country on 4th Street in South Philly) and spent a while walking around in Little Italy. Unlike what has happened to most “Little ___” and “-towns” in the US, Little Italy remains a pleasure to walk. The cheese and meat markets are absolutely legit, and totally authentic. I actually heard Italian being spoken more than once.

We also had a nice dinner at Vernick, which was a little twee for my tastes but I had a couple of delicious dishes (wine list was ostentatiously off beat and no BYO was allowed). Had a HUGE breakfast at Parc, which was very good, and , while I was doing business SWMBO went to the Barnes. I haven’t been to the “new” building but she raved about it, with all its idiosyncrasies.

Anyway, it was a very nice up-and-back. Last time we did this trip, we had a very nice meal at Fork but the trip was ultimately ruined by the news. It was Nov. 8, 2016.

What is the name of the tea shop? My wife would love to visit the next time we are downtown.

House of Tea. 720 S 4th St. On the block down from 4th St Deli

Thanks

Agree with SWMBO (whoever that is) - new Barnes is terrific.

If you’re hankerin’ a tiki drink, go see Brian at the Upstairs Bar, the tiki focused concept above Franklin Mortgage & Investment.

One of my high school buddy’s local hangouts is Jose Pistola’s. They have a chalk rendering of him in the back stairwell. It’s scary. He was an ADA.
…also, Pistola’s is one of the secret Philly spots that gets Russian River beer. Usually only the 500ml bottles, but a few times a year they have a Pliny on tap.

Friends of friends run Le Virtu, check it out if you like classic Italian from Abruzzo.

For future reference check out the restos on east Passyunk, Laurel, Laurel’s bar next door ITV, Townsend, Will BYO, La Virtu, Brigantessa (same owners as la Virtu), Fond, etc.
http://www.visiteastpassyunk.com/business-directory.php?t=dine

Love Townsend. Would highly recommend Res Ipsa if looking for a BYO.

no visit to Philly is complete without a stop at Bob and Barbaras for the finest in B3 funk.

2 Likes

Agree. This is THE place for tea.
We knew the owner well — Nat Litt. His daughter, Jessica, owns it now.

He was a unique and amazing man – read all about him:

Great article! The daughter is quite a character too.

Yes. Jessica was a jockey until she took over the shop. Her brother is a truck driver. The parents were very, very wealthy.

If we ever get together, I will tell you a bunch of other Nat Lit stories.

Anybody been to Serpico?

George

My original review:

I’ve been back twice since for wine dinners and sat at tables rather than the counter. My experience with the food has been consistent. Lots of people really like it, though.

Thanks, not sure how I missed that in my search…

I will ask them to go light on the sauces. :slight_smile:

George

After dining at Serpico I would agree for the most part with Sarah’s assessment. I am guessing my expectations were lowered. They do like their sauce. The scallops were drowned in buttermilk and the Duck and Mole had A LOT of Mole… Snail Lasagna did not taste like snails to me and had a lot of béchamel.
I did not bring wine as it was my son and myself - he is 20. I did have a couple of cocktails and while I found them unique, they were too sweet. Even after commenting that my first one was way too sweet they recommended another that was just as sweet…

I wouldn’t go back.

George

I’m sorry, George. I tried to warn you. :frowning: I honestly think it’s a bad restaurant, and not cheap to boot. But as I said, many people like it, some quite effusively, so I try to keep my criticisms concrete instead of just saying I think it’s bad.

If you are in town again, please let me know and we’d be happy to see to it you eat and drink well. We have pretty exclusive access to the best bar in town. I promise the cocktails are not too sweet.

What bar Sarah, agree with your assessment of Serpico.

1 Like

Our house! :slight_smile: