Verizon Travel Pass, for voice, data, and text roaming

For $10 daily in Europe, but only when used on a given day, this seems a good deal. Any experience on reliability? Thank you.

Have used on multiple occasions without major issue.

I’ve used it multiple times In the Caribbean
You are still on the local carrier network so reliability is based on that
Calls go through fairly well. Texts and email can be delayed

Thank you. Were data, such as Google searches or GPS coordinates, flowing with reasonable speed?

Also, here is a thread on TripAdvisor:

I have use a mobile hotspot. Pretty nifty to ave locally provided data (can skype with). It was not setup by me so I forget the pricing but pretty common for travelers just as getting a local SIM card is.

I just learned that, because my domestic Verizon plan is Monthly Prepaid, the Travel Pass is not available. Boo.

This means that I will likely buy an Orange Holiday SIM card, upon arrival in Paris.

I am thinking of changing from Verizon to T Mobile because, as understand it, I could get the data for free (as part of the regular plan) rather than for $10 a day. $10 a day can add up when you in Europe for couple of weeks.

T-Mobile roaming data is throttled to 3G.

T-Mobile phones aren’t carrier locked, so you can use foreign country SIM cards in them. In the EU, there are no roaming charges among countries. So my Orange France prepaid plan works as well in Germany, for example, as it does in France, for no additional cost.

Tmobile free global roaming. Mostly 3G except Canada Mexico etc. u get LTE.
I travel quite a bit and having Tmobile basicslly allows you to not even think about it. Phone on when you step off the plane anywhere.
Streaming is not smooth but for day to day use 3G mostly works as expected.

T-Mobile has horridly spot service on Block Island, which is my deal-breaker.

For me, a key use of my phone in foreign countries is as a map - I use google maps a lot and other apps for traffic, directions, etc. Does T Mobile work well for that?

What is Block Island?

Nowhere, fortunately. That is the point of going there.

You should have another option to buy blocks of 200MB for like $20-25, that’s what I’ve done in the past. I think it gives you fairly cheap texting as well, and $1/min phone. All depends on what you plan to use your phone for, and how much you’ll be relying on cellular vs. wifi. Like others, I generally use my phone mostly for maps. That doesn’t tend to use much data, as long as you don’t keep it active while driving. What I do is map a destination with wifi, turn off data roaming, and the map will still work as you drive. Might even give you turn by turn, as long as it doesn’t need to update if you miss a turn.

Yes, for the most part. My Greek sim card expired and I used T-Mobile’s free data to navigate around Mykonos. Calls to and from the US cost $.20/minute if local cellular data bandwith is inadequate for voip. Texting is free.

European cell/data plans are currently very inexpensive. For example, 30 Euro Recharge Max prepaid Orange France includes one month of unlimited calling/texting anywhere in the Eurozone and 15 gigs of data (there are less expensive plans for shorter durations/less data). No roaming charges anymore within the Eurozone for Eurozone countries and no throttling. If I need to call the US from that phone, I use T-Mobile’s voip app (DIGITS) using cellular data. And the DIGITS app accepts calls to my T-Mobile number, also using cellular data.

i’ve used this wiki for good info, depending on country i visit

With Verizon Travel Pass, remember you only pay for what you use. It works based on 24 hour periods, not calendar days, and they send you a text warning you when the 24 hours is about to expire. I’ve found it very useful in situations where I’ll have free Wi-fi access most of my stay and only need coverage in limited circumstances.

Works great in Western Europe. Sandy gets it for every trip.

We have used the Verizon Travel Pass for a couple of trips and have had great luck with it. Like Jeff said, you are only charged when you turn the data on. We have it set to airplane mode when we get off the plane, and turn it on when we need it. We do most of our googling, Facebook and such at the hotel to not have to use data. On days when we need the map or to look something up, we just accept that we are going to pay $10 a 24 hour period. Our international trips are typically seven to 12 days, so the cost is insignificant in comparison to the overall trip cost and even a few meals.

Have only used when traveling in Western Europe or the Caribbean, works great and I normally can’t make out any difference in quality or speeds. However, if you go over 500mb of data a day you get a text and they slow down your speeds significantly until the next day’s session starts. Happened to me a few times when I was not as judicious about connecting to wifi for social media posting / scrolling as I should have been.