Costa Rica ??????

I am debating whether to go to Costa Rica or Spain for a seven night trip.

Anyone have any info on Costa Rica? I don’t want to do a lot of traveling between places. Maybe one beach resort and then a stay elsewhere for part of the week. Unless there is one coastal locale where I could day trip to a few eco spots.

Hi John;

I just got back from 12 days. I loved it!

I spent 4 nights at Tabacon hot springs resort in Arenal, then a long drive (5 hours) to Manuel Antonio Park (Tulemar Resort just outside) for four nights and then flew to Liberia and drove out to the Andaz Papagayo Resort. Did a nature tour in each place.

To get it down for a week, the key thing is when do you want to go. The wet season can be very wet, the dry season is November to April. To get it down to a week, if you like hot springs, you can fly into SJO airport, go to Arenal for 3 nights, then it’s about a 3 hour drive to the Andaz Papagayo (part of the Hyatt chain, a real bargain on points).

We hiked the hanging bridges to see wildlife near Arenal and soaked in the springs (Tabacon a well above average springs resort, you can also access as a day tripper without being a hotel guest). Based from the Andaz, we went to Palo Verde national park for a great boat eco tour.

There’s also a well regarded Marriott in the same general area (Guanacaste), if you have points with them.

One of the best things about Costa Rica - you can drink the water! Food is just ok/ It’s not as cheap as I thought it might be (assuming you stick to the gringo places).

Apples and Oranges. They are both wonderful but for completely different reasons IMO. What is it you are looking to do?

George

Thanks Barry.

@George, yes I know they are different trips. My wife will probably get the final say on which :slight_smile:
I’m not really looking for a comparison between Barcelona/Spain and Costa Rica, but moreso trying to figure the best seven night trip to Costa Rica. Thanks

In that case. Location is tough. At least it was when we went. Driving is slow and windy, takes a while to get anywhere. We ended up for a week at a beach resort in Guanacaste. We went and hiked a volcano which was amazing, zip lined etc but it did take us a while to get around. I think if I would go back I would take longer and split the stay. With a stay on the beach and a stay up in the jungle.

George

Stayed on the Four Seasons property in Costa Rica and nothing was close, but for fishing. 1-3 hr drives each way for activities was normal.

We have done family and friends vacations to Hawaii, Italy, France and Spain. I’m getting older and averse to long flights from the PNW and thinking about not jumping a lot of time zones, so Costa Rica is intriguing. Daughter did a pre wedding honey moon and loved Costa Rica. We like the beach for the kids and lounging. Knowing some Spanish is a plus.

Haven’t done the areas where resorts are but I spent a week down on the Nicoya Peninsula in Santa Teresa. Rented a great house on the beach. Loved it. Dying to go back. Grilled up fresh fish from a boat captain that we got for next to nothing - like 40 bucks for 10 pounds of fresh tuna one night. Hired a cook a few nights who made a four course dinner for 12 of us for something like $180 total.

Downside: hard to get to. Puddle jumper from SJO then a van ride on lousy rods. Once there, it was great. No development to speak of.

EDIT: My wife did complain about the crowded beaches…
IMG_1665.JPG

Stayed in Guanacast at a resort — it was relaxing and fun except for the over sexed iguanas that were mating everywhere. Went horseback riding and ate at a a local place off the resort property. Then another time we went, we stayed in San José and took a day trip to the Paz Waterfall Garden and Poas volcano.
http://www.waterfallgardens.com/la_paz_waterfall_gardens.php. It was neat, never saw so many hummingbirds or butterflies in my life. There was a tucán that sat on Nolita’s arm and tried to eat the buttons off her jacket.
I’d go again, but if I were choosing between the two, I think I’d take Spain and Spanish cuisine. I know I have a bias but I do have good memories of CR too.

Just back from a week in Costa Rica. We stayed at Arenas del Mar near Manuel Antonio. It has a “private” beach that abuts the park.(“Private,” since only access is private; like CA, no actual private beaches in CR.) The staff were super nice and we thought it had the best food of any place in the area. If you go, try to get rooms on the upper level (it’s quieter). This was an eco-resort where you could just be on the grounds all the time if you wish (with massage, etc.), but they have a number of tours–birding, to the park, farmer’s market–which got us off the property and which we enjoyed it very much.

Been to Costa Rica a dozen times or so; several times to Spain but Spain is much larger. Easier to get around to several places in Costa Rica. If the trip is only one week, got to Costa Rica. A lot less time spent traveling and more time on the ground. Plenty to see and do. Most people head to the west coast either Guanacaste or down in the Manuel Antonio area. La Fortuna area where Tabacon and several other great hot springs resorts are located (near volcan Arenal) is fun too. Rappelling, white water rafting, zip lining, horseback riding, volcano hikes, etc. are all within a day of wherever you are.
Rent a 4 wheel drive vehicle though. Some roads can be rough; some hard to navigate; some muddy after a rain, etc. I always rent from Vamos rent a car myself.