The Wine Check

Has anyone used this product? And if so, do you think there is a value-add versus just buying a cardboard box and wine shipping styrofoam inserts, and checking that on the flight? (I assume I’ll be able to buy a box and styrofoam inserts at my destination, but that’ll still probably set me back $30-$50.)

https://shop.thewinecheck.com/The-Wine-Check-bag-WITH-Shipper-TWC21S.htm

Well it has a shoulder strap, handles, and WHEELS so I think it is many times more useful than trying to lug a box. Sure you can rent a cart at the airport, but that does not take care of managing through all the transfer travel.

I have a black one, not red but assuming it is the same it is very durable. I’ve flown with it more than a dozen times now and don’t see any signs of wear. I have replaced the shipper multiple times of course, they do not last. I have also ditched the shipper and folded it into a standard roller board a few times. It fits.

For me it was a very worth while purchase. You might also search about it here. It has been discussed at length multiple times.

Imagine traveling with suitcases without wheels. If you have a porter, it’s no problem. But otherwise, you have a heckuva time getting from car to check in, from baggage claim through customs, to your rental car, through the hotel lobby, etc. Its true that you don’t need the wheels a lot but when you need them, you need them.

A yeah, MANY of us have and swear by Shawnda and Todd’s Wine Check!!!
You missed it on BDIX!! EXTENDED The Wine Check - 20% discount AND freebie AND raffle!!! - BerserkerDay IX (January 27, 2018 - it was a doozy - WineBerserkers

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I just would have hated to be the guy who orders a $100 gadget when a bit of tape, styrofoam and $30 would’ve done the same job – or worse, people say it didn’t do the job of protecting their wine.

Ordering mine now!

I have two and lugged them all the way to Greece for my honeymoon. Brought back 2 cases of wine, a number of which were irregular shaped (yummy Vin Santo). No damage.

I look at it as the equivalent as asking why buy a suitcase when you can check your personal belongings in a taped up cardboard box. You can, but most people like the convenience of being able to lift something heavy by a handle or roll it on the ground when need be.

If all you need is to ship a case of wine ONCE… EVER… then a regular box isn’t that bad an idea…
Otherwise, you’d be spending that $$ on a shipper each time at the destination? that doesn’t seem very economical.

I actually put a 12 pack shipper in an actual suitcase… it doesn’t work as well as the wine check b/c it’s a tight fit, but it’s also a luggage i already own so it’s free :slight_smile:

And the airline baggage handlers love the convenience of handles when they are chucking the bags 20 feet across the blacktop. [cheers.gif]

Forget the “fragile” stickers on the wine check. Todd, just embroider “human transplant organs” on the side and be done with it.

I love that bag, no problems with breakage. However, even though the bag is bright red and says WINE all over, customs in San Diego still think that I’m trying to smuggle the wine. And then they ask if this is for business purposes, and I let them know that it’s my 2 week provision. champagne.gif

Good plan. Perhaps ‘contents may spill upon impact’ would be valid as a warning as well?

On a related note, does anybody have experience with the (a bit expensive) Vingardevalise suitcase?

Easier to move around than the WineCheck. I’ve got two of those, sometimes I think I’d prefer the 12 bottle suitcase over the 12 bottle WineCheck for mobility.

We use the VinGarde as well as the Wine Check.

In comparison, the VinGarde is a lot easier to maneuver. However, the foam inserts do not always fit all bottle shapes perfectly. Sometimes bottles have popped out a little during transport, whereas the bottles in a Wine Check are essentially packed securely as for shipping.

Both do work very well.

I like the option with the VinGarde of using one half for six bottles of wine, and the other half to carry everything else I need to pack.

We’re traveling back from the Bahamas and our Wine Check has turned into a Rum Check. :slight_smile:

Love my VinGarde

Two totally different products. I also have the Wine Check

I’ve done the half and half in my Wine Check on numerous occasions. I reuse plastic bags from the laundered shirts I get back from my dry cleaner, and double wrap my folded clothes I put in next to the 6 bottle shipper.

Cool, thanks for the VinGarde input. I think I may go for it. Schlepping around 2 wine checks gets a little clumsy outside of the actual airport, and more often than not I’m also schlepping around a bicycle case as well.

[good.gif]

I just returned from Germany with a Wine Check full of riesling. All of them made it unscathed :slight_smile: