Suggestions for Colorado summer vacation?

We’re looking to spend 7-10 days in late August in Colorado with our 5-year old. I’m thinking maybe a nice resort with hiking, etc., and good day trips in the area. Hopefully, we can sneak a ride on a steam train somewhere in there. Our budget is probably mid-range resorts. Totally open to other options as well.

Pretty soon you will be able to ride the largest steam engine pulled train in the world from Fort Collins upnto Cheyenne.

Check out the Durango area.

Poppy, we really enjoy Estes Park, which is just outside of the entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park. There’s lots to do…hiking, horseback riding, an occasional rodeo, etc. Some of the most spectacular views in North America, in my humble opinion. My wife and I both traveled there as kids (coincidence) and have taken our children twice in the last 4 years. Strongly recommend!

Agreed. Was just there in July if last year.

Best place to stay? Looks like Ram’s Horn is really nice and not outrageously priced. Has anyone stayed there?

For outdoor activities our area checks most of your boxes, and a train ride can be had 45 minutes east at the Royal Gorge. Durango would also be a great choice.

There are really so many options, but it’s such a big state I would suggest not trying to do too much.

Estes Park/RMNP is really a must-see if you haven’t spent time in the rockies. Durango is a great town, but in the opposite corner of the state (I know that geometry neglects the entire eastern half of Colorado). The narrow gauge train between Durango to Silverton is fun for kids. Not far from Durango is Mesa Verde, an incredible place with cliff dwellings. I’d also recommend some of the old mining towns, Ouray and Telluride, and if you want to venture north, Montrose is a nice town, and not far away is Black Canyon of the Gunnison, not as panoramic as the Grand Canyon but still incredible.

South of Denver, heading to Colorado Springs, you can visit Pike’s Peak, which is a great drive or tram ride, with stunning summit views. Nearby is Garden of the Gods, and the more touristy Cave of the Winds.

South of Colorado Springs, heading into the San Luis Valley (where my wife’s family is from), you could visit the Great Sand Dunes national monument, a lot of fun for kids and adults.

It would be a great state to spend a year in.

We stayed in Greeley with Kristi’s sister and made the trek up the mountain daily.

1 Like

Telluride is probably the prettiest town in the state, but sadly no trains. Estes Park is pretty, but also pretty touristy. Aspen shouldn’t be overlooked. You can park your car in one spot, hike great trails, eat great meals and see great vistas.
We don’t have kids so it’s hard for me to address that, but some of our favorite summer spots, speaking as a local are: Crested Butte, Palisade, Telluride, Durango and Grand Mesa. Aspen is not far behind.

Estes Park is a parking lot most of the summer. We took our 3 year old and 1 year old to Colorado Springs and stayed at the Broadmoor. You can sometimes find deals there and there is a ton to do in the area for both kids and adults (cog railway up Pikes peak, Garden of the Gods, horseback riding, Air Force Academy, Cripple Creek). We also really enjoyed Crested Butte for a more authentic Colorado experience as CB has resisted a lot of the commercialization some of the mountain towns have embraced. Breckenridge is the other end of this spectrum but because of its proximity to Denver enables easy access as well as things like Georgetown Loop scenic railway, Mt Evans, boating in Frisco, etc. Kyle Schlachter has little people experience as well so perhaps he’ll come in too.

Durango/Tellurude is definitely on our list but we haven’t been yet as we heard great things.

This is the part of Colorado that I’m most familiar with, and I think there would be plenty in that area that a 5-year old would enjoy. The train from Durango to Silverton as mentioned. 4WD tours out of Ouray or Telluride. Black Canyon. And not too much farther north is Colorado National Monument just outside of Grand Junction. No suggestions for resort accommodations but I imagine there must be some in that area. The one thing to be aware of, especially with a child, is the potential effects of altitude. It can definitely sneak up on you, and Silverton is over 9,000’ elevation (Telluride is just under that).

Thanks all! I’m thinking Durango is out because it is so far from Denver (where we would fly). I’m thinking a 3-hour drive from Denver max.

I’m hoping with the end of August we might avoid some of the tourists. Schools in CA usually start back up by early-mid August.

Really great suggestions…we’ve got a lot to look into.

Poppy, I don’t think anyone has mentioned Glenwood Springs, but I suspect it would have some of the fun options you seek (I’ve mostly just traveled through the place, on various adventures). Google it and see what it might have to offer. It’s a wonderful Amtrak train ride out of Denver, that is particularly inexpensive transportation for getting there from Denver. The train route is interesting and very scenic - up out of Denver to the NW, behind the flatirons west of and above Boulder, through numerous tunnels including one really long one that crosses the Divide and then opens up at Winter Park, down to Granby (western edge of Rocky Mountain NP) where it picks up the Colorado River and then following the Colorado River down to Glenwood Springs. Just a thought . . . .

1 Like

Unfortunately the cog railway up Pikes Peak is shutting down. It’s owned by the Broadmoor and they said the useful life of the equipment has come to an end. No timeframe for replacement, if ever. End of an era.

3 hours from Denver is going to get you to most of the big ski resorts, Vail, Breckenridge and 3.5 hours to Aspen. Unfortunately because of their easy access from Denver, August will be prime time. Book early and expect to pay high season rates.
Here’s a suggestion: Denver to Georgetown. Do the Georgetown loop railway. Continue onto Vail. Hike, bike, eat. Continue to Glenwood Springs, soak in the hot springs, raft, go to Glenwood Caverns, do the Glenwood Canyon bike trail, Hanging Lake, eat at the Pullman. Do a day in Aspen, return over Independence Pass.

At your farthest point you’ll be 3.5 - 4 hours from Denver. Denver also has some good museums. The Nature and Science museum is hosting the Dead Sea scrolls into September. There’s a great western art museum in downtown and a train museum in Golden.

The train museum in Golden is worth it whether or not you are a kid (assuming trains are your thing).

Black Mountain Ranch, but I’m biased cause my son is marrying the daughter of one of the owners in 9 days…

We’ve stayed at Glacier Lodge. https://www.glacierlodgeonline.com

My typical driving route from Cheyenne, WY, to Glenwood Springs, CO and parts beyond would take me right past that area, as we’d take that Hwy 134 cutoff at Wolford Mountain Reservoir heading west over to Toponas and then Hwy 131 down to Wolcott and I-70. I love that area and it’s quite remote. Bond apparently is a very popular put-in for rafting on the Colorado, as we’d see lots of that every time we’d go through there. Apparently there’s also an annual August music festival just down river at State Bridge. Looks fun!