Most Sous Bois and Mushrooms in Mendocino County Pinot?

I’m backpacking The Lost Coast Trail in Mendocino County in about a month. I’ve tried a bit of wine from there–and so far I think I like Anthill the most. I tend to go for sous bois and mushrooms in the nose and am proudly part of the afwe, i.e. try to keep it lower than 14% abv. Any other wineries I should seek out and visit? I know Roy Piper (who is usually on the money) said Deep End is the coolest (both subjectively and figuratively) but so far haven’t had anything from there that knocked my socks off. Black Kite was way too jammy for my tastes. Foursight was good but no interesting sous bois as of yet. What else should I seek out in Mendocino County and it doesn’t have to be just wine?

Roy Piper: "
My opinion of what six subregions will be considered the best places for Pinot in California, ten years from now, once enough wine has come from them all. 1. “Deep End” Anderson Valley 2. Freestone 3. Santa Rita Hills (Western Corridor off Santa Rosa Rd) 4. Santa Cruz Mtns 5. Occidental 6…"

Knez & Onward might fit your search. Lioco makes some nice Mendocino wines, but they’re located in RRV.

Thanks sent an email to Onward to see if they do tastings and got on their list. Doesn’t look like they have any of their own grapes yet–so probably no vineyard tours. I have some Knez in the cellar but haven’t opened any yet.

I think Drew would definitely fit what you’re looking for. If it’s still there they have a tasting room in the valley but you should also be able to visit the winery up in Mendocino ridge.

Already on their mailing list. Haven’t bitten yet-but perfect time to go check them out and try a few. I agree on paper–they seem to be doing everything right

Backpacking the Lost coast trail is a awesome get away. I have done parts from both ends but not all the way thru.

I love Sous Bois and Mushroom aromas in aged wine. We bottle our wild yeast wild malo, unfinned and unfiltered wines clean/fresh/fruity and then wait the 5-7 years it takes for them do develop some of those savory aromas. Let me know when your headed thru and I would be happy to open up a library wine for ya if I’m around. 2010 and 2011 were vintages that showed that character a littler earlier, or I could open a '07, as we have had several during the last couple events this spring showing savory earthy etc. notes.

As to others to try in the area, Drew and Phillips hill are good AFWE choices. Baxter may have some of that character a little earlier with extended barrel aging on some and no new oak, also AFWE. Most of my favorite wines from up here are not made here or poured here, sorry. Black kite is among the last to harvest making some of the biggest wines out of the area, as you tasted. I have been the first to harvest nearly every year, so definitely at the other end of the spctrum.

After multiple technical conference sessions we have no way to define the “Deep End”. As geology/topography/climate don’t change enough in any one place to draw a line. The average temperatures are the same throughout our 15 mile long 1 mile wide valley. What is very different is the diurnal temperature swing at over 50* in Boonville, and barely 25* in the town of Navarro at the other end. Well get a couple days into the triple digits a year and average 8 frost events a season, rarely do either of those take place at the other end of the valley. The main answer to where does the deep end start that you will get is around here is “at my property line, and North West up 128”

Other fun things to do in a month, Anderson Valley Pinot Noir festival May 18-20, 50+ wineries pouring, open houses, etc. Great local beer in Boonville and Fort Bragg. Mountain biking in Jackson Demonstration Forest. Kayaking ocean whitewater, or inland rivers. Mushrooms will be almost done by then but depends of how much heat we get how fast.

Enjoy your trip! [cheers.gif]

Thanks so much for the great info! I still have a few 2012’s of yours in the cellar that I’m putting some age on.