Rutherglen, Australia

Any tips for visiting wineries?

Now very dated, but courtesy of the wayback machine, it’s still possible to find Ric Einstein’s (aka TORB) tour diaries. Always a giggle, but he was always diligent in writing TNs to go along with the stories of lunchtime pies. Here’s one that includes Rutherglen.
https://web.archive.org/web/20160809155745/http://www.torbwine.com/pf/SA%202005%20Chapter%20Five.htm

It’s about 3 hours from Melbourne so its impractical to do it as a day trip. I was up that way in the middle of last year and stayed in Beechworth which is about a 1/2 hour drive away.
Rutherglen itself is a pretty small country town, and while there are a couple of places to stay there that are quite nice, Beechworth is better set up for visitors, with more places to stay more restaurants and a really good craft brewery in the middle of town.
It’s probably worth pointing out that there are a number of separate regions in the general area - Rutherglen, Beechworth, Glenrowan, The King Valley and Milawa, and the Alpine valleys.

Most of the Rutherglen wineries are open daily.
For fortifieds, my first choice is always Stanton & Killeen. I went to Pfieffer last time I was there too. I’d recommend you have a look at Morris and Campbells as well. All do a range of table wines too so there is plenty to look at.
Bullers has gone gone through receivership a few years ago but is operating under new ownership. I’d probably put that on the list.

I’ve had good table wines from Jones, Scion, Cofield and Rutherglen estates too, but they aren’t the first places I go for Fortified wines though they all make them.

And of course you should give me a yell if you are planning to vist.

Paul,
Not sure yet if and when. Just running possibilities around. If I do make it, I’ll give you a shout. Mainly interested in the fortifieds.
Thanks!

Did you ever get there? One of my favourite regions, esp for fortifieds.

My usual order of visit is :-

Campbells (see if you can try the Merchant Prince or Isabella - may require a charge). I actually prefer the Muscats (I refuse to use their new name) over the Tokays at Campbells.

S&K for their Vintage Ports, they will usually have some older vintages available to try, and unlike their Portugese siblings they can be quite approachable when young. (10 years). The S&K Tokays are very good as well.

Warabilla for table wines and the big Parola Durif’s they do, (I think Durif is Petite Syrah in the US) these are massive wines sometimes 17% alc, but really nicely balanced. The cellar door is just a big shed but they are a really friendly bunch.

Then I’ll head to Chambers for a bit of fun, it too is an old shed where you basically just help yourself to the wines. Some really interesting and fun ones here.

Then over to Morris, whose Rare Muscats are the biggest bargain there is. I think about $70 for the Rare Muscat which is like motor oil and has a 5min length to it. They also do some half decent table wines, nothing too serious though.

Then off to All Saints for a lazy lunch and tasting.

I usually stay at Tuileries when there which is fairly central and has a half decent restaurant attached to it with a unique ‘wine smorgasbord’ (if they still do it).

You could comfortably do the whole region in 2 days (you’d probably succumb to Fortified Fatigue anyway :slight_smile:

Let us know if you have any more questions!