Newfoundland Restaurant Reccos?

May be a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone has any restaurant recommendations in Newfounfland? We’ll be there in August (primarily St Johns) to repatriate my MIL’s ashes. She used to love flipper pie as a child, but we may be looking for something a little more accessible. Thanks in advance.

Mallard Cottage and Raymond

Thanks so much! Both restaurants look terrific!

If you can arrange it - Fogo Island Inn.

I don’t think we’ll make it up to Fogo this trip, Chris, but thanks for the recommendation. Looks great.

You probably know this, but keep an eye out for icebergs (IIRC they arrive on the N or E coasts). August is past high season, but there still are some and they are really spectacular. We spotted one from the road on our trip and drove over, there was a guy with a boat who took us out for a close look. One of the highlights of our trip.

Those are the two best high dining restaurants in the city (the Merchant which is owned by the people behind Raymonds is also very good). I would also direct you to Ches’s for a fish and chips deluxe (deluxe means it comes with dressing -turkey stuffing-, green peas and gravy) which is a newfoundland staple. You can also go whole hog and get it with fried onions on top, or just get a chips, dressing and gravy.

The Bagel Cafe is good for breakfast (get some toutons - rhymes with pout-ons) with molassas which are a regional thing, think fresh bread with butter and molasses, total comfort food.

Also Fabulous Foods on Merrymeeting Rd. has the best turkey pie you may ever eat, wonderful baked goods like apricot squares and IMHO the best dressing in the city (but not the best fish).

And while you’re there (especially with a fish and chips meal) and you like soda, you have to drink a Crush Lime or Pineapple. One of the few places in the world that sells them, a lime and chips, dressing and gravy is last meal worthy.

Peter - yes, we are looking forward to the 'bergs if we can find them We are renting out a boat and captain

Rob - thanks for the recommendations! I think we have a couple of deluxe eaters in our crew