Maine - Aug 2018

We are returning to Maine - just hoping to hear some new ideas and restaurant choices since what i did 3 years ago may or may not be useful.

the plan is simpler this time around.

4 nights (inc the long ride from NYC) in Camden - we love it there. 3 dinners are likely set (primo’s + long grain 2x ) (hotel booked)

then 2 nights around boothbay (not booked - spending at least a day at the botanical garden though)
4 nights around cape Elizabeth (likely a trip into Portland but see no reason to stay there - probably Miyake)
and 2 nights near Ogonquit before heading back.

btw would be happy to meet with some beserkers and open some wine. if anyone is close by.

if you have a “must see” list - let me know. we have some things planned but nothing in stone other than a boat trip in camden and the botanical garden

thanks in advance!

In Portland, check out Drifter’s Wife. We’ve been there three times (most recently last Sept.) and liked it a lot.

Spent a few days on coastal ME last mSummer. Actually found very interesting a day trip to Portsmouth NH just over the ME border. The fact that I was conceived there during WWII where my dad was stationed in the navy was not the primary reason. Charming downtown with lots of historical houses and sights.

thanks! Robert - we did Portsmouth 3 years ago - lovely little town. not sure we have time for a repeat - though who knows. loved the historical stuff

Peter - thanks! any other ideas? you would be the master at that :slight_smile:

Chauncey Creek - on of my favorites and you can byo

Beach Plum Farm. Small little take out with a few picnic tables

thanks Steve!

While you are in Southern Maine:

Last Summer it was solid with a great wine list, though price

and

Classic. I’ve been going since 1982…

Thanks, Mikhail. But we go further up the coast (Blue Hill area) so I don’t know the parts you’re visiting very well, except that we usually stop at Portland on the way. Not a resto, but Dobra Tea on Exchange St has a wonderful relaxing ambiance and a wide selection of very nice teas. (Some food too, but we didn’t try it.)

BTW if you’re looking for nice handwork gifts, Abacus (also on Exchange) in Portland is our favorite. IIRC they have a store in Freeport too.

Peter,

We are returning to Maine maybe early August. I loved Castine; chill vibe and small crowds in late summer, but we know August will be busier. Any other thoughts about a similar place away from the midsummer rush?

Peter - thanks

Chris - sounds like we may be there same time - if you want to get dinner together.

Absolutely, let’s keep in touch when we settle on details

Leaning toward a couple of nights in Boothbay, then basing out of Searsport for 5-6 days. We figure we are close to Acadia, Camden and the upper coast.

if it helps - i booked our hotel/airbnb last night and looking to book some food etc.
Camden – (aug 11-15)
Boothbay – 15-17
Kennebunkport 20-22

would be fun to get together - perhaps a dinner at Primo? or w/e else.

Missed Connection: Our dates (between soccer seasons) are the first week of August.

Since you’re locked in, do you mind pm’img me your Airbnbs?

i sent a friend req on FB - easier to chat. too bad though :frowning: