Italy Recos - Off the Beaten Path

These aren’t the larger tourist destinations, but wondering if anyone has recommendations (didn’t turn up anything with my forum search). We have lodging covered but I’d welcome tips on food, wineries, breweries, sites that aren’t museums…

-near Umbertide in the Umbri region (not too far from Tuscany)
-in Manciano…(Grosseto area of Tuscany, near Lazio).
-near L’Aquila (Abruzzo)

TIA!

If you’re travelling between the first 2 on your list then Orvieto is definitely worth the stop. Fascinating caves and stunning Duomo. There’s also the man made waterfalls at Cascata delle Marmor that are worth the trio and the stunning Civita di Bagnoregio.

Thanks for the help! Headed out in a week and can’t wait. Ciao!

Hey Chad, any report back? My partner and I are headed to Tuscany in late December and would love to hear your experiences!

Bump. Heading to Italy for two weeks this summer. First week is in Tuscany and staying in Greve in Chianti and second week is in Amalfi. Right now on wine, I’m looking at Felsina, Caffagio, Avigonesi, Poggio Salvi, and Antinori (mostly for the architecture). Have Enoteca Falorni on the list already too. Anything else related to wine that I can’t miss?

Monsanto.

While in Greve, have a least one meal at Lamole. Great food, stupendous views and a very good and interesting wine list.

Based on pictures I’ve seen, Marisa Cuomo in Furore is probably the winery I want to visit the most. The only wine I’ve had is the Fiorduva Bianco which I’ve enjoyed from a number of vintages. That said, for me it’s all about the setting of the vineyards.

Thanks so much for this! Here are some pictures of things covered in fresh truffles:

Food looks great as always.

Glad you enjoyed Lamole.