Looking for Simple and Direct Way to Get from Heathrow to London

Will be in London the end of July. Wife and I will have suitcases. Looking for direct transportation that’s not too outrageously priced. Private car service? All suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Heathrow Express to/from Paddington. 20 min or less, trains every 15 min. See their website for more info.

Agree Heathrow Express is the best way into London but it would require catching a cab from Paddington to your ultimate destination. Not aware of any reasonably priced point to point options.

Thanks. Anyone know the cost of a private car service or taxi?

Less than 30 seconds on google: Taxi from Heathrow to Mayfair £76.00 | Heathrow to Mayfair

Thanks Tom. Didn’t think I could get from Heathrow to London via Google. And 30 seconds is much faster than I thought possible! champagne.gif More seriously are you familiar with that taxi service?

No, usually I’ve used Heathrow express and then a taxi. I think last time we just grabbed a black taxi.
Heathrow express usually has a decent wait for a taxi, so the $ savings may not be worth it especially when jet lagged. Looks like Uber is an option, look at prices on google maps (and download the google maps data for where you expect to be. Gett is the phone app for black cabs.
Older thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1539959-heathrow-reliable-car-service-3.html

Thanks for the details and info Tom

Peak times. Heathrow express. Otherwise Uber.

Why not the Tube? If you each have only one suitcase, you can get pretty much anywhere. And, then, if need be, a cab. We’ve done it with kids.

Been there, done that. I suppose it depends on your definition of “suitcase.” And there are two of us, each with a suitcase and carry on. No thanks.

If you don’t have too much luggage and your ultimate destination is on the Piccadilly line, then the tube is great. Otherwise, I stick with the Heathrow Express or Uber. Unless my company is paying. :slight_smile:

Addison Lee is by far the largest car company in London. Depending on where you’re going in London, fixed fare will be ca. £70. Very easy to pre-book on their website.

Likely heading to Soho or Kensington area

An UberX to Kensington should be between 30-45 pounds, depending on the time of day. When I lived in Kensington we always took Uber from Heathrow. Be aware though that you will have to walk to level 1 of the parking garage (which is very close) and wait a bit for the car. Usually when ubers accept you at Heathrow it takes them at least 12 minutes to get to the pick up area.

Otherwise the Heathrow Express is quick, but expensive and for two people can eclipse the cost of an uber, especially when you factor in the subsequent cab/uber to your hotel. You can arrange for a private car, though that will be more expensive and IMO not worth it.

I used Blackberrycars a few years ago. Great service and competitive prices.

So it looks like I’ll take some type of car service.

The Heathrow Express to Paddington is about 50£ for two, plus wait time, plus a cab from Paddington to the hotel, plus more inconvenient, so that’s likely a no go.

Blackberrys Car Service appears to be about 39£ plus tip [add a tip?] - possibility

UberX looks like it’s 35-45£ - possibility

Heathrow Private Transfers Car Service would be about 42£ - possibility

Don’t know what a regular cab would cost, but I prefer a fixed fare, all else being equal.

Anyone know if it’s the custom to tip a car service driver in London?

Thanks.

I’m in a car service car on the way to Heathrow as I write this. I tip 10-15% on the fixed fare, maybe more, depending on wait times. On the way over, AA and BA lost our bags and it took quite some time to sort it out. Tipped the driver extra for the wait time.

I tip cabbies but not fixed fare drivers here. Sub £50 is very cheap vs a cab or add lee.

Thanks Dan - when you say “here,” are you from London?