Favorite Hotel and Restaurant in Bordeaux

We’re staying in Bordeaux for a week over Thanksgiving, and see plenty of threads about favorite chateaux for wine tastings, but searched and found relatively few recommendations for hotels and restaurants.

Looking for recommendations - what are your favorite hotels and restaurants in Bordeaux?

Thank you.

We spent five (if I recall correctly) nights at the Burdigala back in the spring of 2017 and were extremely pleased with the place.

I dined at L’exquis the other week, which I really enjoyed, French/Asian fusion with a great wine list for their size. No English spoken though. Opening hours are a bit strange 8pm-10pm for bookings (although obviously you could be there until midnight eating if starting at 10pm). Made a good change to the normally heavy French dishes.

https://www.restaurantlexquisbordeaux.fr/en/menus/

We just left Bordeaux a few days ago. We stayed in a 2 bedroom 2 bath Airbnb at 45 Quai des Chatrons. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/13320316. Great location. Quiet. Well equipped. I hired Henri Challeau for touring and he did an excellent job. He was recommended by several on this board and they were right.

Henri is fantastic!

Yndō Hôtel is very nice.

LE CHATEAU NO TELL

We’ve selected Ecolodge des Chartrons, a guest house/B&B in Bordeaux - ecolodgedeschartrons.com - Diese Website steht zum Verkauf! - Informationen zum Thema ecolodgedeschartrons.. Perfect for two couples, and they were able to offer a discount for a full week stay this far in advance. As for guides, we decided to work with Hamish Wakes-Miller (http://bellawines.co.uk/) with a goal of visiting as many first-growth chateaux as is humanly possible in four days of tasting. :slight_smile:

We’re now looking at restaurants, in general for our stay and then something special specifically for Thanksgiving Day - any recommendations?

Thank you in advance.

le Saprien (in Sauternes)
la Tupina (in Bordeaux)

We had a great stay at La Grande Maison de Bernard Magrez in the city of Bordeaux - pricey but beautiful. We also stayed at the Intercontinental, but found the layout of the rooms awkward. In Saint Emilion we stayed at Le Pavillon Villemaurine, a nice B and B that is a very short walk into the town. Had great meals at Chapon Fin, Pressoir d’argent, Pierre Gagnaire, La Table de Plaisance (all on the expensive side, but we felt they were worth it).

1 Like

Not in Bordeaux proper, but in Bordeaux the region our favorite places:

• Chateau Cordellian Bages (Pauillac)
  • Les Sources des Caudalie (Martillac)
  • Les Belles Pedrix (St Emilion)

All of these are recommended for lodging and dinner. We also stayed at Pape Clement, which is part of the Bernard Magrez empire, and had a private dinner there. The experience is amazing, but the food was just ok - and I wouldn’t recommend it for more than one evening as the novelty would likely wear off.

My wife and I found Bordeaux somewhat wanting as a gastronomical destination, but we did enjoy our dinner at Brasserie Le Noailles. The food and wine selection were excellent and the atmoshere was Parisian.

We stayed a week last September at the Intercontinental Bordeaux Le Grand Hotel and “she” seemed a little tired. The lighting in the room was poor and the staff was less than up to snuff for a 5 star hotel. Location was a positive (except for leaving the hotel by car).

La Tupina + 1, but it has been a while. If visiting Mouton R museum you need to reserve in advance. Enjoyed staying in St. Emilion better than Bourdeaux.

1 Like

The first time (about a dozen years ago) we went to La Tupina we had an excellent dinner - food, wine and service. It was a totally different story when we returned last fall. The wine (selection) was still OK but the food and service had dropped to just so-so.