one dinner in Arlington or D.C.?

We will be staying in Arlington 2 weeks from now for a family event. We only have Thursday 10/18 to go out for a nice dinner by ourselves. Any suggestions?

Lots. Price range? Cuisine?

French,Italian or contemporary. Price probably won’t matter.

My input is a few years old but my visit to Rose’s Luxury was outstanding!!! No reservations IIRC so plan accordingly.

Had a great meal at Red Hen as well. Very thoughtful wine list.

Jason

I like Jason’s recommendations for contemporary.

Fiola for Italian. It is just outstanding. After dinner, you can walk out to the Mall for a short walk. Fiola Mare (same owner/chef, seafood emphasis, natch) is also exceptional and is on the Potomac in Georgetown, which makes for lovely views and a nice after-dinner walk. I like the menu marginally better at Fiola, but the dining room does not offer the glam views.

First rate Italian cooking at a lower price at Centrolina. Really fine; I’ve never had a single dish there I would not have again any time. Masseria is also supposed to be outstanding but we haven’t been.

Marcel is very fine trad french; it gets far too little love in the press in my view. Le Diplomat is a first rate bistro, much more casual and in a hip neighborhood for drinks before/after.

If you can get reservations, Pineapple and Pearls and Minibar are dining “experiences” (both 2 Michelin stars) and priced accordingly

My favorite restaurant in DC is actually Rasika, which is modern Indian. If you like Indian food, I can’t recommend it too highly. The cooking is superb and inventive, and it also has the benefit of being half the cost or less of Fiola.

Komi is an experience (modern Greek/Med). Same guy owns Little Sarow which is a hole-in-the-wall Thai place where they just feed you (no real choices). (Current menu here: http://littleserow.com/menu.html)
Outstanding but you can wait in line forever if you aren’t early (and even them) bc no reservations taken.

I’ll think of more I am sure

I love Red Hen but it’s a tough reservation. There are none for the day in question. I’ve never tried to go without one. They claim to keep a few tables for walk ins but when I have been there they are always full so not sure how that works. The bar is usually standing room only as well.

Oh, also, we just had a really enjoyable meal at Chez Billy Sud in Georgetown. French, not exceptionally inventive but very fine cooking and a great dining experience. Also good for drinks before/after just off M Street

Minibar was one of the best meals I have had in the United States. Make sure to go to Barmini Before or after.

George

Also liked Billy Sud. Nice patio if the weather is good-no reservations I believe. Corkage friendly and excellent service.

all true except the no reservations thing. They take them.

I also will keep beating the drum for Clarity in NoVa. Near Tysons. Very small place but the food is really, really good. Neighborhood-place environment, very BYO friendly. https://www.clarityvienna.com/

I meant the patio-last time I checked it’s first come, first served. It may have changed.

Thanks to everyone. We went with Fiola. Menu looks great and the corkage policy works well for me.

You must be going on a weeknight. Unless things have changed, they have no corkage on Fri or Sat.

Have fun. We really like the place, obviously

Re Centrolina, just named to the Post’s top 10 list: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/centrolina-review-without-bells-and-whistles-its-simply-good/2015/12/07/331ba2b8-9098-11e5-baf4-bdf37355da0c_story.html?utm_term=.b00d552b0d54

My one meal at Centrolina was, perhaps unfairly, burdened by comparisons to recent meals in Italy. It is the type of restaurant that DC does - a fancified simulacra of the real thing!