Solo trip ideas

I have up to a week this summer for a solo trip - foreign or domestic (USA). Interests varied and broad.

Anybody done anything memorable

Denali backcountry!

I’d opt for big cities. It would help if I knew where you’ve been, but here goes.

Tokyo
Hong Kong
Sydney
London
Paris
Prague
Vienna
San Francisco
L.A.
Chicago
NYC
Napa and other wine regions.
Assorted National Parks in the US.

Need to narrow it down a bit… actually more than a bit.

George

I hear the Belgian Congo is lovely this time of year. Maybe hike it from east to west.

Can you be a bit more specific? Do you want active (hiking, biking, etc.) or more leisurely?

I cycled from london to algeciras in the south of spain solo and that was a ton of fun! Took about a month though. If just a week, then the cycle ride from barcelona up to perpignan is great.

Few years back I did Tokyo solo, as well as Istanbul, Jerusalem, and Rome (I did 3 separate trips, but you could combine) - wasn’t really planning on it, but these 3 trios ended up being sort of a tour of religions.

It would help all of us if we knew where you were located. Just put your city/state/ our country in the Location section of your profile. Your location provides a point of reference for all of us. I see a few more people in this thread that might benefit from doing the same thing.

We live in Texas so we often go to Costa Rica for our short one to two week trips. Easy to get to from the east and west coasts too. The summer is the “green” season which means that lodging and rental cars are less expensive. In the “green” season, it is normal to get a rain shower in the late afternoon are during the evening depending on which micro-climate zone you are in.

First thing that comes to mind is Tokyo. Would be spectacular to lose yourself in the many layers of the city and eat at the world’s greatest counters at night.

I see recommendations for some very far off places which we love as well. But with only a week, spending two of those days traveling to and from is something we never do. Asia, Africa, the South Pacific, Europe are all trips worthy of two weeks or longer.

Depends where you are. Europe is like a 5 hour flight from the east coast no? Tokyo is about 9 hrs from west coast. All doable for a week.

Africa/South Pacific are indeed a bit far for 1 week.

I’d want to hike a leg of the Camino de Santiago.

Your mileage may vary, but for me, a week of solo dinners in restaurants gets old pretty fast.

If you’re into wine, come to McMinnville for the International Pinot Noir Celebration - July 25 to July 28. There are also a bunch of beer events going on in Portland centered around the Oregon Beer Fest at the same time. The OBF is one of the largest of its kind in the country, with upwards of 80,000 people attending.