I hate winter!!!!!!!!!!

It is finally March 1. [thankyou.gif] [dance-clap.gif] [truce.gif] Winter is not over yet in the DC area, but hopefully the end is in sight.

But it has me thinking about next winter. This winter we left town a couple of times - took a cruise down to Florida and the Bahamas from Baltimore and spent a week in Savannah, where I grew up (we actually had two trips to Savannah, but one was for a funeral so I am not counting that one).

We have often done something for a week or more like this to get out of winter. But, now that I am retired, I am thinking about making this a longer venture. I am not at all ready to buy a retirement place somewhere (starting with I don’t know where) but instead am very interested is starting more slowly by renting a place for a month next winter.

I just don’t really know how to go about finding a place. Are there good brokers who could give advise. Do any of you guys go to Florida (or even Georgia) for a month in the winter (offlines???)? I would like a place where I could play golf, but also do other things. My wife would like to be somewhere near a beach - although the water does not really have to be so warm to go swimming as long as she can sit on the beach and go walking - note, we do not have to be on the beach, just an hour or so from it so we could drive there. [When were in Savannah, we stayed in the city, but drove to the beach twice (about a 1/2 hour or a bit more of a drive).] We likely would drive down for the month or take an auto train (Lorton, VA, to Orlando) and drive from there. Not thinking Arizona or California right now because of harder logistics, although we could change our minds.

Obviously, we have a long time before next winter, but my guess is it will take some time to figure out what to do. I thought learning from the experiences of all of you would be a great place to start. Thanks.

If you want to stay on east coast, you may want to check out Charleston, SC area.
Very good food and wine scene, golf, and easy access to nice beaches at Sullivan’s Island, Isle of Palms, Folly Beach.
Charleston is like a shinier Savannah, with less funk and a bit more of the entertainment I seek.
One of our favorite areas and a place we are considering settling into once we finally get the kids out of the house.
Though, the time to buy in Charleston was prob 10 years ago. Getting crowded now.

Very relatable feeling! Can’t give you specific advice on hooking onto a place, but your plan is a good one. Florida, one month trial. Look at both coasts - you’re about two full days driving from Rockville to the southwest FL coast and less to the east FL coast. You could spend the overnight in Savannah! Good luck.

Something we are also looking at in Winter 2021. Following.

George

Howard -

Disclosure! My wife and I are looking for homes in both of these areas to rent to snowbirds/retirees/semi retirees like yourself. We would use it part time in the near future and it would be a full time retirement home for us down the road.

We have spent several weeks in the Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Ft Morgan Area of coastal AL this last year seeing if the area is a good fit and looking for a SFH. My impression was the GS & OB areas have all of the services you could possibly need (busier) w Ft Morgan being about 18 miles west and more “out there”. We did spend a day with a realtor recommended to us by a friend so let me know if you think having her info would help your search. Check out VRBO listing 1327108…this is not the one we stayed in, but in the same complex. I have no financial interest, etc.

Our next recon mission will be to Savannah Lakes Village on the SC/GA border just west of McCormick, SC. We will be there for a few days in May, I’ll try to report back after we go. Things I do know about SLV; lots of waterfront homes/lots on 71,000 acre Lake Thurmond, 3 golf courses, large rec/social center, a couple of restaurants, etc;

If anyone has some firsthand knowledge of the SLV or McCormick, SC area I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Chris

Don’t know the Savannah Lakes Village area, but know Savannah, Georgia pretty well. You might look at this place also, although I am not sure how friendly they are to people who want to rent their places. https://thelandings.com/

They list short and long term rentals on the website.

Rosemary Beach Fl. Plenty of houses on vrbo.

Yes, but that is through them (although I don’t know if they own all the places that are rented). I don’t think they allow Air BNB for example. And, I understand that they don’t allow renters access to the golf courses, clubhouses, etc., although you would have to check that. Still, some of the house there are beautiful and I know people who live there and love it there.

Plus, you have a Burgundy-loving, golf-loving buddy there. [wink.gif]
We are ~5 min from IOP.

But even Chas is too cold for us at times. We love south FL but a monthly rental in season will be both expensive and crowded.

Are you in Charleston in the winter? You say you live in Charleston and South Florida, so I figured you were in South Florida in the winter.

We love the Sarasota area. Have a place on Longboat Key. Monthly rentals run approx $4,000-$6,000. on the water. The weather in Savannah or Charleston is not warm in the winter, however it is more mild than DC.

We’re still teaching in Chas (4 more years probably) so we’re in FL for school holidays.

I would say that right now (not really having looked anywhere yet) Savannah would be more likely than Charleston. I know the city, I still have cousins there, etc. But, if I do go there next winter, maybe we could meet somewhere and do an Burg offline and figure out a place to play golf together.

The door is always open. [cheers.gif]

thanks.

Responding to my own post…is that allowed? Anyway, we did spend a few days at Savannah Lakes Village and really enjoyed it. Even though most of the residents there are 20+ years older than us, I could see moving there sooner rather than later if I could make early retirement work out.

Hahaha Summer is really hot and we are can’t hold this feeling everyday, it makes us feel really tired with the sun too shine :frowning:((