Seoul, Korea

Anyone have firsthand experience with places in Seoul that have interesting wine lists? Or retail selections that might be hard to find in the US?

I recall the lists at Mingles and at Jungsik being at least “ok”.

I had a 2014 A. et P. de Villaine Rully Les Saints-Jacques for 99k won at Mingles and a 2012 Wieninger Pinot Noir Select for 78k won at Jungsik.

Good food, too, at both places.

I’m interested in hearing more about the Seoul Jungsik. Their branch in NYC is one of my all time favorite restaurants. And Junghyun Park who used to cook at the Seoul branch has to qualify as one of my favorite chefs. Still haven’t been able to get into Atomix unfortunately.

I recall the Seoul branch as being at a similar level as NYC but with the food tilted more Korean.

E.g., the starter course was a banchan rendition including tuna
20161029_203603.jpg
and their urchin bibimbap was really good
20190324_195144.jpg

thank you very much for the suggestions! Hadn’t known of Mingles before but it looks very intriguing. through their instagram, found what looks like a natural wine shop, vinosn

https://www.instagram.com/wine.vinosn/?hl=en

They have Cruse wine from California, it looks like, among other selections, which is frankly shocking. If I’m able to check any of these out, will report back.

Thanks Doug!

Korea is still on our list of eventual travel spots but not this year.

as a late update:

Mingles was awesome. They moved recently so the experience may very well be different, but the wine list was very serious, and fairly priced I think given the selection, including some Gonon, Prevost among other smaller producers. I loved the food there, as well, great technique yet uniquely Korean.

Jungsik was also very good. It may be similar to the New York experience, but I still loved the depth of the wine list, and the technique of the food.

Another great option was Zero Complex, located within an art museum in the French district. The sommelier there was very gracious even when I asked some very inane questions, and they curate a fascinating natural wine list and a very thoughtful wine pairing. Also with a bar in the same complex, Bar Piknic, which I would highly recommend checking out.

Also loved the Timberhouse bar/restaurant at the Park Hyatt. The manager, Estyn Won, was amazingly hospitable, passionate about whiskey and a great bartender.

Through the Jungsik chef’s instagram, we found out about Hue 135, a restaurant in Seoul that does dry aged beef. Highly recommend checking it out, the service and food were great, and they have an interesting wine list. They’re also walking distance from another great whiskey bar, Monkey Shoulder.

I thought the Eater lists for Korea were very well done, but there are always new spots popping up, so checking places like Instagram, etc., can be very helpful for scouting out new places to try.