The new Carrieres de Lumieres show is Van Gogh

we saw a different show 2 yrs ago but if near St Remy/Les Baux I highly recommend you find a couple hours to see
this new Van Gogh show in the limestone quarry. Once in you can stay as long as you like and it generally takes at least
2 viewings to take it all in.

They have an indoor show in Paris we saw last August. It looks like they also currently offer the Van Gogh show. The quarry adds another dimension.

Indeed, fascinating viewing. the relationship between viewer and art is quite changed. I would think this isn’t the primary way to view Van Gogh, but it is a fresh, fun, engaging way.

Will be there soon!

Definitely get your tickets ahead of time. Print them up, too. Cell / portable reception can be spotty.

I’d recommend the final viewing time as you don’t overlap (as much) with earlier groups and parking around les Baux-de-Provence can be…interesting.

I had never heard about this. I’m now debating changing my vacation plans to try and make it to Provence.

If you are adjusting travel plans, make sure and check to see if one of their “soiree” nights is within your time frame. I really enjoyed taking photos of the Van Gogh.

Do you have a link to that schedule? I just failed to find it on their website.

https://carrieres-lumieres.tickeasy.com/Information.aspx

Jay,

If you scroll down after clicking that link, you should see two soirees. I really wanted to see the integrale but couldn’t make the dates work.

Thanks Matt! Both of those are earlier than our usual vacation time but we’ll see how it goes. This year might end up being a wash with regards to vacation given how much time Arnold needed to spend with his dad in the hospital and now wrapping up his affairs.

There is a similar Van Gogh exhibit in Paris at Atelier des Lumieres.

I saw the Klimt show last year at the Atelier des Lumieres. It was very cool and I plan to see the Van Gogh show in Paris later this year. I’m not sure it is worth traveling to Provence to see it projected in the quarry, but I’d certainly go if I was already nearby. YMMV.

We saw the Klimt/Hundertwasser show at the Atelier in Paris and it was fun; I would see the Van Gogh show if I can fit it in.

We visited last week and can highly recommend this as well. Awesome experience. Can be a bit disorienting to start depending on the lighting (near total darkness when we first entered) and the uneven quarry floors as you walk around, but we got used to it quickly and became totally immersed in the light, art and music. We went on a Monday morning, so crowds weren’t too bad, although parking was still a challenge. The adjacent village of Les Baux-de-Provence is also worth a couple of hours to explore, and I presume you could park in one of the village lots and walk the quarter mile or so to the venue if no other parking is available. Wish our photos turned out as well as Matt’s above!

Cheers!

Steve

Saw the Van Gogh at Atelier a few weeks ago. Terrific!

You are too kind Steve. I was walking around with a 1DX so a chimp would have succeeded. Simple dump into photoshop and then a mac’s ap and you have a decent slideshow – even the default music worked out.

What lens did you use?

Canon 16-35 f4, which I am pretty sure is still the step below their L glass (and frankly after borrowing a friend’s, I don’t think the L is worth the price bump for the wide angle). cf / chimp.

This is the most amazing thing ever! Thank you for sharing and enlightening me.

on parking-if u go via the route to the west of St Remy and drop down Les Alpilles there is plenty of parking by the side of the road-especially in the morning. Most people go S out of St Remy which is very much the tourist route. Go in the morning and then have lunch at Chateau des Alpilles outdoors-this is also via the W route.