Restaurant and Wine Shop Recommendations in Fort Myers

We will be traveling to Fort Myers, Fla for a few days to visit family.

Anyone have restaurant or wine shop recommendations?

Thanks.

My octogenarian Mother lives in Estero, north of Naples and I regularly visit the region. During the high season, I avoid going into Naples at all costs. It can regularly take 45 minutes to drive 12 miles into downtown Naples where all the restaurants feel like chain restaurants (even if they aren’t) and are tremendously overpriced for the quality. As a result, I tend to try ethnic places in Bonita Springs, Estero, and Ft Myers.

Here are some of my favorites -

1, Mykonos - Standard greek fare in a small strip mall (aren’t they all in strip malls ) Solid food, authentic and well priced Greek wines.

2, El Rancherito, Bonita Sp.- Real authentic Mexican food in a Tortilla factory. You order at the counter and they bring to the table. Amazingly cheap and fresh. Their mole is good and the tacos al pastor are incredibly good. Also, their chips and guac are totally fresh and homemade. I always buy a warm package of corn tortillas to bring back to Boston.

3, Taco Vazquez, Estero - Located inside a gas station, this is another authentic Mexican joint. Long lines at lunch given all the Latin American laborers in the area. Can easily grab lunch or dinner for under 10 bucks.

4, German Deli, San Carlos - Very few people know that over 50,000 Germans vacation in Ft Myers annually due to regular nonstops from Dusseldorf to Ft Myers. The German deli is a small place across form the huge Walmart. Great wursts, schnitzels, and a small grocery store.

5, AJI LIMON TASTE OF PERU - This restaurant is on Old 41 in Bonita Springs. If you are into Ceviche, this place will be heaven for you. Large authentic menu as well.

6, Jimmy P’s - I haven’t tried the new restaurant since the prices are crazy high but their butcher shop on old 41 is a prime beef eater paradise. From Prime all the way up to real Wagyu, their beef is first rate. I also get a variety of sausages there and grill at home.

I have yet to find great pizza or incredibly fresh local seafood that isn’t fried or blackened. For fish, I tend to go to Dougs and to whole foods for stone crabs. In season, the jumbo size were over $50 lb. I bought 1 and it cost $35. Now I buy smaller sizes and dig away.

Thank you Geoff. I’ll check them out.