Burgundy restaurants?

Going to Burgundy in May. Not looking for 3 Michelin star restaurant.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Le Terroir in Santenay, Chez Leon in Dijon.

Aupres du Clocher in Pommard http://www.aupresduclocher.com/Accueil.html [fabulous food, great wine list]
Ma Cuisine in Beaune [a legend]
Maison Colombier in Beaune http://www.maisonducolombier.com/ [Wine bar with really good food on small plates with a huge wine list]
Le Relais de Saulx in Beaune [Young couple, husband is the chef, wife handles the front; excellent food but limited choice, very well priced, good wine list]

https://www.lhoteldebeaune.com/en/bistro/
Bring an appetite and order the Poularde de Bresse.

wine geek favorite.

I know you said no 3 star restaurants but I would suggest you reconsider because Eric Pras is the real deal and not resting on his laurels. Prices are very reasonable for a meal of this quality.

The kind of wine list one could not imagine in their wildest dreams. Easily worth the detour. Cheap Coche, Raveneau etc.

Tony,

We are going in May as well (23-27) and staying in Beaune. Quite a few folks recommended the same list to me as well
have a few others to share not listed above where we have made reservations:

Restaurant La Cabotte
24 grande rue
21700 Nuits Saint Georges
contact@lacabotte.fr
www.lacabotte.fr

La Ferme de la Ruchotte
21360 Bligny sur Ouche
Tel - +33 3 80 20 04 79
Mail - info@lafermedelaruchotte.fr

Caves Madeleine
8 Rue du Faubourg Madeleine
21200 Beaune
P: (+33) 03 80 22 93 30
E: contact@cavesmadeleine.com

Hope this helps.

Gus

1 Like

le Chambolle = pretty good, open for lunch on Mondays, which can be useful. Good wine list concentrating on the village. Plenty of half bottles. Excellent cheese course.

Just got back from a week in Burgundy. My favorite meal of the trip was a lunch at Le Millesime in Chambolle-Musigny. Very fair price for the quality.

1 Like

We lucked into this place for lunch a few years ago. Loved it Restaurant Simon hasn’t been mentioned but it was great.

My favorite (newish) place in Beaune is without a doubt La Lune. Tiny so reservations are a challenge, but if you can get in you will find super fresh French/Asian fusion at absurdly low prices. Wine list is smallish and just OK, but what a meal

For casual place that gives “farm to table” new meaning (because it is ON the freaking farm!!) check out La Ruchotte: https://www.lafermedelaruchotte.com. It used to be a top-secret chowhound ‘must go’, but I see it’s even on TripAdvisor now (but only 72 reviews, so it hasn’t been ‘ruined’ by popularity yet). Their website now allows online rez and availability check, and there are slots in May (remarkable).

My list also included Aupres du Clocher, and I’ll add Chez Guy which was a fantastic lunch, but not casual (http://www.chez-guy.com).

One other mention for those who follow you to the region, but don’t yet have a place to stay: Violot-Guillemard.
It’s a vinyard, so you have your breakfast by the vines. Really amazing place and great wines you won’t find outside of France.
http://www.violot-guillemard.fr/en/

+1

I was there last Friday and what a meal I had. I went for the edamame, karaage, turbot carpaccio (half portion was enough), pigeon and creme caramel with 3 glasses of wine and some green tea at the end. It was only 72 euros and the flavors were there. Especially karaage and pigeon were just outstanding. Also the service is amazing. Can’t recommend this place enough. Oh and definitely you need a reservation.

In 2012, we went to Bissoh, and had a fabulous meal. We had a 2006 Raveneau Le Foret with our meal, @ 67Euro, which was very fair for restaurant pricing :slight_smile:

caves madeleine

La Lune is definitely excellent and not so newish any longer! I think Ma Cuisine is one of the most overrated restaurants I’ve ever been to. I’ve been three times trying to figure out why people like it other than Parker/Rovani raved about it. Wine list was excellent but food was mediocre at best.

Friends,
Simon is no longer a favorite since a new couple took over. The former owners came originally from the now extint LA SOMMELLERIE in Gevrey and did an excellent job in both restaurants. Generally speaking the wine lists in most resaurants are deceiving : too expensive and the wines are far too young. One exception :LE SOUFFLOT at MEURSAULT on the ROUTE NATIONALE.: just great

SINCERELY JOHAN

Since that thread popped up and while everyone is closed, let me give you my favorite address as a local:

L’Agastache in Volnay, great food, great ppl, Italian chef, obviously some nice wine on the list.

La Goutte d’Or in Meursault chef lived in Japan, Japanese wife, lovely couple, French cuisine but better. They took over recently and the wine list is in progress but already enough to have some fun (don’t look for the big name but the carefully curated stuff)

If you drive South stop in Chalon sur SaĂŽne, lovely town with some nice restaurants on the island. My personal favorite is
Le Bistrot in Chalon sur SaĂŽne warmest welcome, the food is just right and being outside the touristy place you can find some aged grand cru for a very attractive price on the wine list.

Even more South but this one easily justify driving down from Beaune just for dinner:
Aux Terrasses* in Tournus easily ** stars in the plates best QPR in Burgundy (yes, even beats Lameloise! Especially if you want a less uptight ambiance).

And while you’re in the South stop at
L’Autre Rive in St Laurent across the river from Macon unpretentious food but the chef is a wine lover and you’ll be able to taste many aged local wine but also take a welcomed break from Burgundy wine.

If you keep on going south and you want to get the full cholesterol experience go to
La table de Chaintré*, unsurprisingly in Chaintré rich traditional food (truffle, Charolais beef, etc.) great wine list with a focus on natural wines.

Many other good places but here you have my go to.
There are many places in Beaune, rely depends on what you’re after. Two places where you’ll find locals at the tables: Les pîpiettes and Caves Madeleine.

Hope all these guys will be ok and reopen soon.

Gautier - thanks for those, especially in Meursault. I ate at Au Fil du Clos in February and while the food was good and the wine list excellent, I was a little underwhelmed with the atmosphere.

When u say wine list excellent. Do u mean lots of options? Really cheap prices? Or hard to find gems?
Or combo?

Good food. Excellent wine. I can bring the atmosphere! :wink: