Venice/Rome/Sorrento

I’m headed on a non wine centric vacation with my wife (shes not a super wine focused person) to Italy. Funny thing, she chose Italy because she knows I am not a super fan of Italian wines. Smart Lady. She knew I would not make it about wine.
Anyhow, We are going to Venice, Cinque Terre, Rome and Sorrento; I’m hoping some recommendations can come in from those of you who are well traveled and share some restaurants. Non touristy places. Meaning, better food, better prices and ideally not as crowded.
I appreciate the time and recommendations.

Will, if you use the Search function at the upper right of each page (click the magnifying glass to open search with more options), you’ll find several long threads on Venice. Here are a couple:

And on Rome:

Thank you Alan and Howard. I definitely used the search. My concern was fining posts from 2010 and showing up to a great spot which may no longer be there.
But the links were great. I booked at Ai Aristi in Venice and will continue to see out places in stoke.
Still hopeful to hear about Sorrento or Amalfi in general.

In Venice I would go to Vini da Gigio, Carampane and Vino Vero (wine bar) and for lunch there are two great seafood places right outside the city : Al Passo in Campalto (very traditional food) and Antica osteria da Cera(2 michelin stars)

Go to La Tre Sorelle in Positano. One of the best meals I‘ve had.

Non touristy restaurants in Venice means getting out of the over-priced, crappy restaurants in Venice.

Go to the suburbs in Pallestrina and try for Da Celeste for excellent seafood.

Or, make your way to Chioggia, a quaint, pretty and quiet fishing village dubbed as “Little Venice”, for amazing straight-from-the-boat fresh, local dishes at 1/2 the prices you’d get in Venice.

We were in Rome last May and had a great experience at Pianostrada - highly recommend. The gazpacho was one of the best I’ve ever had.
For a wine bar, the outside tables at Cul de Sac are always a great bet.

+1 on Sorrento / Naples/ Amalfi. Headed there in July for a week.

If you are staying in Naples you have to go for pizza, here’s a website in Italian with all the best ones. I could recommend Concettina, Fratelli Salvo and 50 kalo’

Also near Sorrento there is one of the best restaurants in Italy or the world for that matter , they also are a good place to stay overnight away from the seaside crowds

Alo two great places in Nerano right by the water

1 Like

Thank you Riccardo!

1 Like

Leaving tomorrow for the Amalfi Coast.
Don Alfonso is one of our stays. Taking a bunch of cooking classes also.
I will report back.

Our cooking class there was great.

Good to hear!
We are staying there for a week and taking 4 cooking classes.

They get the most exclusive buffalo mozzarella.
Ask them about a driver and tour guide for Pompeii, that was fantastic.

Hi Ken- what did you think about staying there and the cooking classes ? We are looking at a September trip.

One of the best stays of our life!
Terrific people , unbelievable food. We were part of the family for a week.
We plan on returning.

Another can’t miss place in Naples is Tandem Ragu.

Fred, if you can slink a bit farther south check out the Cilento region. If you’re going to stay in Amalfi consider a boat ride and a day in Salerno at the least.

Thanks Ken ! How was the location for traveling to the rest of the Almafi coast ? Did you have your own car or use taxi’s ?

How close is it if you stay in Positano to visit for dinner and or cooking classes ?

thanks !

Driving during the season can be a nightmare. You can take ferries to Amalfi, etc. looks like you can take a bus to Don Alfonso with some walking at each end. Ask your hotel about transportation.

1 Like