Spain help

Hi All - I am traveling to Spain for the Tomatina Festival in late August (Just outside of Valencia). Planning to go over early for 3-5 days. Any recommendations on favorite Spanish cities for sights, food and drink? Have spend a lot of time in Madrid, Salamanca, Bilbao, San Sebastian and Rioja but never Barcelona, the islands or anywhere else in the eastern part of the country.

Thank you in advance,
Keith Studdard

Cuenca isn’t too far away (2 hour drive) and is spectacular. Stay at the parador there. A day walking in the nearby national park around the source of the rio Tajo would be a very nice way to go too if it’s not too hot then - you’re quite high up which helps but it may still be pretty hot in late august.

Beyond that, not much else I could recommend over just staying in Valencia itself.

Hey Keith, I’m departing tomorrow. I’ve been at my winery for several weeks. Drive down the coast to Denia and have “arroz a banda” on the terraza by the beach. Like a paella but super charged and all the mariscós are served apart. Then travel over the Elche and see La Dama del Elche (I’m not sure if she’s still there or if in Madrid now). Another great spot in that general area is Alicante, great beaches and pretty town!! My place is a bit far (5 hours or so drive from Valencia. Ask me any questions you may have and if I don’t know the answer I’ll find someone who does!

Keith,

Barcelona would be #1 on my list. It offers a unique combination of culture, nature, food and wine scene. Its a must IMHO. After that I would consider Andalusia. Seville, Granada, Cordoba offer unique culture, sights and tapas culture.

Enjoy your time in Spain!

Loved our stays at the paradors in Tortosa and Aiguablava, both proximate to Barcelona.