Travel recommendations for - Route 1, Carmel & S.F. visits

Hi,
I’m in the some what awkward position - a special woman - who is the current owner of a leading Burgundy Domain that we import and is with a very typical French country side or Burgundian approach to life (in spite of her renown) is visiting the WEst Coast for the first time in more then 20 years.
I have (foolishly) volunteered to arrange or suggest her activities. I offered and she grabbed it up.

I did live in L.A. (30 years back) and do not have a clue what to suggest for her full weeks activities.
Then on to Santa Barbara for one day.

Then I suggested Hearst Castle - she booked a local hotel and hopefully a tour.

Then 2 days in Carmel

Then about 5 or 6 days in San Francisco. (My S.F. friend is going to spend a day with her at that beautiful park in Sausalito.
I have suggested the Farmers market and the Farm to Table activities as her Burgundian Domain is BioDynamic so I think she would appreciate that. And she told me they will get rid of the car and rent bicycles.
Now she wants more ideas of what to do.
Help!
Thanks

Lunch, Dinner and/or stay at Post Ranch Inn in Big Sur. In the Santa Cruz Mountains my guess is Kevin Harvey (Rhys) would love to host her for a tour/visit. In SF, the Ferry Building Marketplace for visiting, eating and drinking - and if you reach out to Debbie Zachereas there who owns Ferry Plaza Wine Merchant, again I really think she would want to meet her and would be willing to help out. Theo

thank you!

Sure, William. The restaurant at Post Ranch is a glass jewel box extending out over the Pacific ocean and dramatic Big Sur coastline - as beautiful as it gets anywhere in the world. I had an '81 Clos des Lambrays for $65 one night there for dinner, and many other great Burgs. I think those prices unfortunately are gone, but they still should have an outstanding wine list with very deep vintages (now I think called the Reserve List). Kevin Harvey I believe started his entire winery because of his love of Burgundy.

Nice

Hi
I wrote a Personal note to you, on this system…
yes, my guest would appreciation both introductions/reservations/activities and I asked you to email or phone me and I will make arrangements however you were planning. I assumed from your note that you know the people and will make the introduction. If not - then I can cold call based on what you have said.
would you please contact me. william@williamgladstoneimports.com

Point Lobos is a state park near Carmel and has some stunning views of the Pacific Ocean- one of my favorite places in the world. You now need reservations for parking. Right on highway 1.

The Monterey Bay Aquarium is very special also.

Excellent - I will pass this on,
much appreciated

I wrote to her immediately - and she just replied that she got up from bed and likes both ideas and she plans to attend,
thank you

Just a drive along 17 Mile Drive is spectacular scenery (they charge $9 I believe to enter, as it’s a private road, but well worth it). My favorite is to do the drive from north to south.

Oh yes, you just brought back a memory from 50 years back… and I think I met Joan Baez while on that drive…
I will tell her… oh, she is on the plane now to L.A., still…
thanks

The Post Ranch restaurant is quite nice, but it’s also well down the coast from Carmel (30 miles along windy Hwy 1), so more difficult to get to (and back). There are a number of nice Carmel restaurants, but one I would highly recommend is the restaurant at the Hyatt Carmel Highlands. It’s much closer to Carmel (just 5 miles south), and has some of the best coastal ocean views you will ever see.

thanks
the couple is driving up from L.A. so I’ve recommended various adventures she liked
1 day at Santa Barbara,
1 day at Hearst Castle tour
then day at Big Sur with Lunch at Post Restaurant and then on to Carmel.
so they are not driving back down to the rstrnt.