Golf in/near Las Vegas

Hi, All. I’m turning to you all again as my experts. I’m heading to Las Vegas for a quick golf weekend and we’d like to get in two rounds. What are the recommended courses near Las Vegas? I don’t know much, but we’d ideally like to keep them to within a 30 minute drive. That’s not absolutely critical if there are truly courses we should seek out that are farther away. We’re all pretty decent golfers, so tough tracks aren’t a problem. I mean, we actually want to have FUN, so decidedly difficult tracks wouldn’t be ideal. We’re all good with spending up to $200 per round (though lower is always better).

So, where should we play? TIA

Probably the simplest solution is TPC Summerlin; 2 courses. I’ve played it. There is a PGA event there every Fall. In Henderson, Dragon Ridge is pretty big time. Out of town, you could go to Primm (40 miles south; 2 courses that are highly rated) or Mesquite (around 70 miles the other way) which has around six courses, one a Palmer, one a Nicklaus. There is a Nicklaus course (Bear’s Best) in Summerlin. Bali Hai is right on the South Strip. Most of the major hotels have deals with these courses or you can go on your own, but I’d suggest doing some internet searches to determine availability and prices. Right now with 112 degree days I’d guess they would want your business.

Fortunately, we’re not going until October. Thanks for all of the recommendations.

TPC Summerlin appears to be private. I booked one time at Dragon Ridge (which is also private, but allows some guest times staying at MGM resorts). Primm and Mesquite are too far away it would appear…a quick check currently shows an 1 hr. 10 minutes to Primm.

The hotel concierge mentioned Reflection Bay. Anyone know anything about that course?

Also, are there some less expensive options that are still decent?

You might look at Paiute it is a bit of a drive but has 3 nice tracks by Pete Dye. Played there several times.

JD

Shadowcreek is a must play if possible, my favorite Fazio, a unicorn golf course/golf club no doubt

Sand Hollow is a drive but worth it

Top Golf is fun at night

TPC Summerlin is fun and you will see it on TV

Bali Hai is fun but right at the end of the runway, very loud

Royal Links is fun and they have “par caddies” as does BH

a no on Reflection Bay or the other course at fake Lake Las Vegas, don’t know what # owner they are on at this point

Bears Best is nice, Jack recreated all his favorite holes from courses he designed.

Cosmo to Primm has never taken me more than 45 minutes. I’m assuming your staying on the strip. The Lake course is one of my favorites. All the Paiute courses are great with Wolf being my favorite and probably most people’s favorites. You could do worse then just picking two courses at Paiute. Boulder Creek and Angel Park are others I’ve enjoyed off the top of my head. I’ve played almost every course out there at one time or another except for Shadow Creek and TPC

Do find out the condition of the course before you decide. At this time of year, not all courses are maintained well with the very hot weather conditions causing problems.

Coyote Springs could be good

I’ve played a good amount of golf in Vegas. Unless you’re willing to pay the tariff at a Shadow Creek or know a member that can get you on at a Southern Highlands GC level of a course, it’s quite possible that you’ll find the courses elsewhere in Vegas below that level to end up looking and feeling very similar. The whole region is desert terrain. It’s not easy to design a course there that’s dramatically different from the next, unless you have the money for water and crew to keep it manicured and lush 365 days a year.

Honestly, I’d just check out the various tee time booking sites, and see where you can get the most solid deals. Even the Bears Best level courses will make some tee times available at a discount off their rack rates.

Only course I’ve yet to play there that I feel like I should is Cascata. But the price tag, and to a lesser degree the distance from the Strip, don’t put it high at all on my Vegas bucket list…

yep Southern highlands is a very nice private course in a private community with security, home of the UNLV team

Cascata is an ok course with nice folks and amenities, no homes and remote mountainous terrain

I should have included Paiute in my first post; three desert courses with great scenery, around 45 miles out (but an easy drive on the freeway). The Reflection Bay courses were very nice, went bankrupt, and I think one is back in business. They are also a ways out. The West Coast Wine group held a tourney there about 15 years ago.

Coyote Springs is a bit of a haul and I’m not sure what their current status is. One more is Revere in Anthem (Henderson). Two desert courses with elevation changes; very challenging if you are not accurate.

Forgot about Royal Links and it is fun layout-forgot about that. I would have had better memories if we weren’t operating on 2 hours sleep in a 50 degree rain. Stay away fro Desert Pines.

Another one for Bali Hai…super convenient to the strip.